1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Loaded with innuendo? Literally said it was cos he was trying to be pals with our youth players.

If video celts is the blog that used to cover our youth games, not 100% sure but I think it is, then he was told to take a step back.

2. SuperZidane

That’s a fair point. I’m not overly keen on Kennedy as interim manager either but, on balance, I think I’d be happier with him and McManus for 4 months than Lennon staying - frustrations are too high

Anyway, I share your opinion of the source of this rumour so I expect it will come to nothing - again.

NomDePlum likes this.
  3. seanbee01

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    I always think there is more to a team than the manager, for example Chris Davies with Rodgers is clearly a very talented and motivated coach, these guys with high profiles come with teams around them who get the best from players I feel as if Lennon has the passion for Celtic but a bunch of people around him he's had forced upon him, the board have a lot to answer for this season, Lenny should have walked but in no way shape or form has he been handed any favours from them.

blackfish likes this.
  4. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i was asking myself is there another top flight club used to winning that would continue with a manager as long as this and as results and performances keep being *

it does look like pete lawell is being a tight fist * again, hoping lennon quits so he doesnt have to pay him off, this * been happening at celtic forever and a day lawell is the new master of it trying to use an employee or possible signings love for the club against them to underpay them, to just not do the right thing, its * penny pinching bullshit and it shows to me that the club dont mind and actually like sticking it to employees

5. SuperZidane

I'm no fan of this board but on this is issue, it's not an excuse for Lennon.

No decent manager (who had confidence in his own ability to get another job) would allow Lawwell to dictate their backroom team. They tried it with Roy Keane who wouldn't wear it.

In fact, the only managers who gave accepted it were Ronny (I'm pretty sure that he was told Collins would be his assistant) and Lennon.

If Lennon didn't want Kennedy then he should have been strong enough to say no. As usual, he said yes to Lawwell so it's down to him.

6. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Don’t get me wrong Jeannie, agree with most of that and people say time is the greatest healer and Lennon should have been sacked months ago it’s been shambles such a shambles that big Ronnie delia wasn’t that bad a manager after all, believe he was a nice guy and he did enough with no Huns to win 2 legs but everybody and their dog was crying out for Delia to leave after embarrassing results in semi finals v Ross County, Inverness and then a * Huns team on penalties

Also people thinking more to it with BR, a personally don’t think Rodgers had any intention of staying and the type of guy he is with his bullshit and wanting everyone to love him he would’ve spoken out by now and don’t get me wrong loved the invincible season and some of the football was good but he was also competing against dross and lets be honest a far worse Huns team than they have now and his signings were a joke , granted he got us to CL twice , when we faced a good side in Europe his tactics were a shambles

Its like when your playing *, the guy who isn’t playing suddenly becomes a far better player, let’s not kid ourselves Lennon has been a total shambles n Embarrassment an absolute disgrace, but let’s not get to clouded about the other 2

Jeannie960 likes this.
  7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    The worrying thing about they 2 is when Lennon was making a total * of team formation n selection , playing no strikers surely if Kennedy/ strachan had some balls they would have said like everyone on here , “ * you playing that team for “maybe they did and Lennon didn’t listen or more worrying they actually saw no fault with his team selection and agreed with him

8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

This is genuinely the lowest I've felt as a Celtic fan. Aye I cried at Seville etc but this excruciating period, just waiting for someone to be sacked so I can feel atlesst a little bit excited about the clubs future is horrendous. The worst.

Keano88, xDanCFCx, johnboy19 and 9 others like this.
  9. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Well you know how it is - Pete's way or the highway...

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    He left us much stronger than mowbray. Over that spell we made big money in transfers and qualified for the last 16 of the champions league. He got us many of the players Rodgers used in his successful term. No need to rewrite history to have a go at him.

He has provided enough ammunition this year to prove he is not the man for the job

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What players was that? Only rogic, mcgregor and forrest where here and 2 of them where academy players!

12. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Lustig, Griffiths off the top of my head

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Well the other rumor is they want to keep Lennon because they don’t have faith in Kennedy .... I take from that that they have changed their minds because Lennon can’t be trusted with the media

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  14. TheHappyLoss

If Kennedy was as good a coach as the myth goes Lennon would already have been sacked and he’d be interim manager until the end of the season.

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Would be happy enough with a Kennedy & McManus option on an interim basis.

It gets rid of Lennon, which lets face it, is the absolute top priority.

It lets us have a look at what Kennedy/McManus have about them in this type of role. The worst case scenario is probably only a minor improvement on what we’re seeing now.

We might be pleasantly surprised.

16. SteveyNico67

I couldn't be pleasantly surprised by a minor improvement

I want an overhaul, Lennon and Lawell gone.

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  17. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

The fact is, its the 23rd January and we are still talking about this, still debating, and still left frustrated by our board. Transfer window shuts in a week or so and still no CB to replace Julien, it's a stand off between Lawell and Lennon. Rumour after rumour when a statement from the board would end them. Now Kennedy and McManus rumours have taken over from the Howe ones , our board is quite happy to sit back and let this happen to give them time to act after the transfer window shuts. I think our Club is in a lot worse state than what we can actually see. It wouldn't surprise me that there is a lot of infighting, blame and general unrest. If Lennon is digging his heels in for a pay off then there could well be more than him wanting the same.

18. Skiv7

£300,000 pay off apparently..... Who's up for starting a gofund me?

19. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I'm gutted he's still in a job. Gutted the board are just accepting this absolute capitulation of a season. The whole campaign has been an embarrassment, we're just lurched from one disaster to the next. Even our one moment of glory - the Scottish Cup - saw us limping past a lower league side on penalties after being 2-0 up.

I understand that you might not be able to get the manager you want right now, but even so that's no reason to keep Lennon in a job. It sends the wrong message. It tells us that a season where every competition has been a failure, is acceptable to the board. 7 wins in 22 and a catastrophic trip to Dubai followed up by a crazy press conference shouldn't be acceptable, and shouldn't be tolerated.

We've set such high standards over the last few years. We were never going to keep winning trebles. We were never going to keep winning titles, but I thought when we did lose one it'd at least be tight. As good as Rangers have been, we've moved aside and allowed them to canter towards the title. There's no pressure on them now. We've let this happen through our sheer inactivity.

Ferencvaros was a big warning sign that he hadn't learned from previous mistakes. The poor early season performances were a big concern. The toothless display against Rangers was pretty damaging, and the Sparta debacle should have been the point where we made the change. Instead, we persisted and allowed Lennon to carry on and we've been in a tailspin ever since.

By keeping him in a job, you're just letting the pressure on the club build up, and up, and up. Even if we had to let Kennedy take charge until the end of the season, it's better than the current situation. Mick McCarthy just went to Cardiff, I'd even have taken him as a short-term measure. Anything is better than this.

20. SuperZidane

I could believe that figure - His salary is rumoured to be around 800k plus bonuses (so 800k this year) and, as he has 4 - 5 months left on his contract, that sounds reasonably accurate.