1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    His stats a far far too poor for anyone to defend him now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Skiv7

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that thinks this but I personally think he will be good under new management look at the summer signings.... Have they "failed" due to not being good enough or due to what's going on behind the scenes?

Barkas - Greek International who has played at a high level and in the champions league.

Ajeti - got off to a good start and seems to have gone off the boil

Duffy - good defender bags of experience but struggling

Laxalt - came from AC Milan has played in world Cup finals. Similar to ajeti started well and gone off the boil.

Turnbull - took ages for him to get a chance and now taking it.

4/5 of these signings are struggling since we signed them and are all good players with a good pedigree. So are we too quick to judge guys like Barkas until we see him under a new manager who can't install confidence and stability?

Hail Hail

Breathnach67 likes this.
  3. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I agree with all of this, this is probably what I have wanted to say but my want for Barky to succeed has blinded me.

Barky is clearly a good keeper, Porto and Roma were in for him in 2019, he’s a Greek international, and before some bone head says “but it’s Greece mate” Greece are 1 time euros champions who have regularly qualified for major championships over the piece of the last two decades, he’s won domestic honours in Greece and played in the CL. A lot of us have first hand proof of how good he is, the second leg in Athens in 2018 springs to mind, a save to deny Dembele at a crucial time I think. I seen him
    Play a blinder against Benfica that same year when I was in Portugal. But as you say, he’s probably too lightweight to deal with the game up here, he wouldn’t be the first and he certainly won’t be the last.
    I still want him to do well, maybe because I feel sorry for the guy. Imagine leaving Sun Kissed Athens to land in Glasgow in a * pandemic and have Neil Lennon as your manager? If we can get good money from one of the Greek teams (that’s the market that would pay most for him at the moment) then I’d say sell him. Equally, I would be happy to keep him on if we get a new, more professional coaching team in as I would imagine that plays some roll in his lack of confidence.

4. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Great comment mate. Completely agree. Underlines the importance of a professional management team.

5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mostly is, aye.

6. The Dude

Useless.

7. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    A panic buy. Up there with the Scheidt and Boerritiger as 'worst VFM' in history signings. Will quietly be moved back to Greece in summer for a nominal fee. AEK must be * themselves.

The Dude and The Phoenix like this.
  8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would argue it wasn't a panic buy. Having allowed Gordon to leave and Forster returning to Southampton and once it was clear that he wasn't returning, a keeper was a major priority. Barkas did have a decent pedigree in Greek football (the last player we had signed from that league I think was Majstorovic, who was a Lenny signing first time around, so it was a market that he obviously has kept an eye on and is aware the quality of. Moreover, he was highly rated enough that AEK Athens rejected offers from Serie A & Ligue 1 teams in Italy & France, so don't think this was a panic but. It's just... for whatever reason, the guy either hasn't adapted, couldn't be arsed or simply just a lack of professional pride.

9. john2061

The keeper at Livingston on Wednesday night looks a far better prospect than barkas and every shot that goes towards goal seems to go in when he's in goal .
    Also there centre half Jon Guthrie looks better than Duffy and bitton put together and would keep a eye on those two .

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's a weird one.

On the one hand, I find it hard to entirely blame GK's all the time for shots going in because a lot of these are coming from horrific defending and point blank chances etc.

However on the other hand he doesn't look like saving anything, doesn't command his box well at all and is built like the side of a fiver. I think we could do a lot better.

11. horseshoe

This is pretty much my feelings on things at the moment, it's almost impossible to judge individual players with the absolute state of things behind the scenes, not just new guys coming in but players we know that are more than capable of tearing teams in this league a new *, and have done repeatedly, are playing miles below their standard and have been all season.

It amazes me that til recenetly there were still some people saying things like "oh well they're professional footballers, they should still be able to go and get the job done, that's what's they're paid fotunes for etc.." but if that was really the case why even have a manager at all? A lot of our results early in the season were down to exactly that, our better individual quality showing through even when the team as a unit looked a mess, but you can't rely on that long term.

I want to see how these guys perform under a better manager with some consistency in training/tactics. Except duffy, think he's an overrated carthorse, another in the long list of players being paid way more than they're worth just because they're in england.

12. The Dude

I seem to remember someone saying that Stevie Woods was the one who identified Barkas as a possible replacement for Forster, after his performances against Celtic the season before.

Although Barkas had a decent pedigree, I think that his move to Celtic was the product of lazy scouting.

theweeman likes this.
  13. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I've identified Jay Emmanuel Thomas as the next Didier Drogba based on his performances against us this season.

Cena and Cofi#12-CFC1888 like this.
  14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lazy scouting it may well have been, but panic buy it wasn't, is my point.

15. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

it dosent make sense in Lennon's first stint as a manager he bought British and it worked well this time around he has gone European and its turned * up big time

16. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I really don’t get this about people on here blaming his poor performers on things from management, coaching and playing behind poor defenders. Surely a decent keeper is expected to do the basics properly, like commanding the box, shot stopping? I have seen nothing from him so far to have any hope

17. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    I haven't ever actually seen him make a save

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Our first and second choice keepers either left the club on a free or didn't extend a loan when they were expected to. Accordingly, we were forced into the market at short notice to find a replacement. That meets the definition of 'panic buy' for me. Don't see how signing one player from the same league 10+ years ago qualifies as being a market that he 'kept an eye on'.

19. kingpenman1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don’t buy it at all, hasn’t been battered about just hasn’t saved shots, shots he’d get anywhere in world football

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Well that's recruitment being stupid. Gordon was quite vocal about not liking his extended offer and had wanted out in January. To have no back up plan is clueless. To be honest I don't think Hammond has done a very good job and should probably be sent packing