1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    Walker used the word "jolly" in reference to celtic abusing the elite sporstman loophole, to go to somewhere sunny in the middle of winter during a pandemic for some training (training they have been and could have been doing at home) when the rule was brought in to allow teams to travel for european games. I can't say his description is too far wide of the mark. His subsequent comments on the pictures of players laying about drinking and how that looks were also pretty fair. The club should have been organised enough to arrange private areas for this knowing if they didn't then pictures like this would obviously be taken given everybody has a camera on their phone nowadays.

IMO we should never have went on the trip during a pandemic under any circumstances.

Given how our season has went should have added another reason not to go.

The fact they have charged us full price season ticket money for a season when we won't get in the gate for 1 game, should have been another reason not to go. How nobody in the club has thought how jetting off to 5star hotels, flying business class with aload of millionaires would look to us fans who are funding it with literally no return for our money this season just shows how badly run we are at present.

freitassen, blackfish and martin_d like this.
  2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Your taking from it what the media want you to he didn’t say their wasn’t a public health issue he said his team are not a public health issue media are trying to make it look like Lennon is saying COVID is a lot of * not the case

Only problem I have with Lennon is he’s no man for job any longer and way he came across yesterday could have been better should have just released a written statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    And just to pick up on that example - it’s nothing like the situation we find ourselves in.

We haven’t been suspended, or indeed punished in any way shape or form.

A better example would be the shop owner having something in David’s social media brought to his attention than appeared to show him not adhering to social distancing restrictions in store.

The shop owner then gets asked about it in a team meeting and says “I don’t know the context of this photo so I can’t really pass much comment on it, but just as a reminder to everyone, it’s really important that we adhere to social distancing guidelines in the interest of public health etc”.

Valhalla, Tim-Time 1888 and martin_d like this.
  4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I disagree with him that the team aren’t a public health issue, especially after one in isolation tested positive. They clearly are.

The Dude and martin_d like this.
  5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Took me a while to figure out who David is there. Surely it's wee Davie, not wee David!! At least make the analogy believable @Seán Mac D .

Seán Mac D and King of Kings like this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I still firmly disagree with you my man but we've had a civil debate here and exhausted the topic, so I think it's best to just agree to disagree.

I think the trip was daft as * with hindsight and foresight but I just think there's an inconsistency & hypocrisy with politican's messaging.

7. freitassen

Covid aside, this Dubai jolly has always been, admitedly (I remember Rodgers saying this explicitly) not about training and performance but rather a holiday for bonding the players. This is not sensible with the club in the situation it is and a slap in the face of the fans

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56:

He became a reformed character and transcended from a Davie to David after his brush with the law.

NomDePlum likes this.
  9. joemc

M8 not having a go , this is the kinda thing this generation is going through , I dont know wer its come from but to have to speak to a room a group or a single person today is nightmare stuff , they can choose to misinterpret any 1 thing you say and it becomes a nightmare scenario, to have to completely watch every word you say isn't taken out of context now is where we are as a people , it goes against everything we are taught , communication,freedom of speech are all things that wer taken for granted a few years back ,sm has destroyed this i feel , many good people have found themselves at the wrong end of total hysteria for chosing the wrong word , it shouldn't be like that , people are emotional , impulsive, reactional , we are not all perfect , we shouldn't have to fear getting it wrong sometimes.

TheWolf likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Bet secretly he still wishes he was wee Davie.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

true, but also throw in 2 x games we missed at the start of the season from bolingoli * off to spain - if was a spanner in the works, with 2 more game would be have been sharper and more playing time for the frenv. game?

The pot 1 in Europe was too good to be true - fs we ended up with a champions league group - a lot of bad luck in consideration of other groups.

that Aberdeen game was keek, but we had it won at 3-2 - costly!

Dubai should never have happened - and we should have another 4 points on the board.

this is the type of season if jumped out of a plane we would land * first on the statue of liberty!

how many times in our last 3 seasons have we rode luck, last minute goals etc.. big saves in cup finals, saves against Lazio etc.

the board and penny pinching has cost us this season massively the writing was on the wall this time last season.

we are not a fresh vibrant team

did lennon go to the board wanting a war chest to see this year out in style, was he knocked back or is he paying lip service to the job?

the rangers have had a big fat chuck of lady luck on their season in re: group draws, injuries, covid free and allowed to spend money and go further into debt.

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. truedub1916

I have to hold my hands up here

- yep I think the trip was a jolly and a disaster
    - yep I think it’s time for Lennon to go
    - yep I think so much of what he does is unprofessional

but, I saw the clips of the press conference yesterday and it sent me to melt down I was so angry
    But now I have watched the fully conference. It is SO SO SO Different from the clips that have been put out

If anyone hasn’t watch the full thing then it’s a must

13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I get where you’re coming from with this, and I agree that, generally speaking, folk shouldn’t have to tread on eggshells for fear of being misinterpreted when giving their opinion (although speaking as an Autistic person, that’s just a fact of life for me and many others anyway, but maybe we’re getting off topic).

Point being, Lennon is our manager, and there’s a certain level of dignity, self respect and respect for others that goes along with that role. Doesn’t mean he can’t respond thoroughly to criticism, or even hit back at perceived enemies of the club, but the way he conducted himself yesterday was totally out of bounds. Showed childishness and an utter lack of self-control.

joemc likes this.
  14. joemc

He has to shoulder some of the blame yeh definitely, the buck stops here , he knows that , but trying to motivate players who can't be , and I mean players we really need must be so frustrating as fek , the biggest problem we had going into the new season was changing keeper , its the worst area to reman , I believe nl lost a bit of believe wen he lost forster at the back , its shown up in constant changes to the back line up till now .

15. Dip 'n' Swerve

the failure to pick up on hagi coming on to suck laxalt out of position is more worrying they wanted to exploit bitton on a 1 v 1 is more of a worry. our coaching team cannot see how a game is evolving, this is common mistakes. are own players are even questioning their role, responsibility and duties (mc gregor on sats interview)

Hammy89 and JamesM09 like this.
  16. JamesM09

IMO the players tried to force change in October in a bid to save the season, due to the awful coaching they were receiving. The fans turned on them and called them lazy instead.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.
  17. joemc

Good point m8 and I'd like to share something else I kinda sense in all of this , many here have conflicted opinions of the interview and it may be down to body language facial expressions and such while many others agree with the points he addressed and feel it was valid , this could be the difference in watching or listening , its amazing how he was portrayed first time around ,snarling and angry on pics on media rags , it totally makes your mind up that caption as seeing is believing to many .

18. mayo

Unfortunately I’m in my 20s so wasn’t around for the great team in the 60s but after listening to a podcast last night about Jock Stein I’m actually nearly glad Lennon didn’t beat his record of 9 consecutive league trophies. He or this team do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Steins team.

19. joemc

Maybe to many voices having thier say who knows .

20. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    Lennon wouldn't have beaten Stein's record anyway.

If we had won 10 this season, Lennon could only be credited with 5 of them (or 6 if you count the one Rodgers basically won) and even then, he didn’t win them all consecutively.