1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Jun 20, 2019.

Discuss Nick Hammond joins Celtic, initial trial period. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    My point is McGregor and Christie have been total * aswell the crop we know are good have been *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Can't disagree with that

3. davidhannah

I think our signings have been decent. Laxalt has been good, Ajeti hit the ground running with Goals, Elyanoussi was scoring more than name stays like Griffiths, Turnbull highly rated, Frimpong is good, El Hamed was strong particularly at Ibrox last season that just springs to mind before he was injured. Duffy was a hugely popular signing. We were raving about the transfer window being so good. All a vast step up from Lee Congerton's pish.

I think it's obvious that they are not being coached properly. I think the reaction of the fans tells it all, minus the one or two morons who decided to kick down fences and attack police officers. Its disappointing that the board have not announced a change of management.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic transfer guru Nicky Hammond is facing a huge battle to keep his job, Football Insider can exclusively reveal.

Hoops chiefs, led by powerbroker and majority shareholder Dermot Desmond, are planning huge changes as they assess the wreckage of this season

A Celtic source has told Football Insiderthat multiple key figures could be sacked as a major audit analyses what has gone wrong this season.

Among them are recruitment chief Hammond, whose position is said by a well-placed source to be under “major threat”.

Hammond was appointed director of football operations by the Scottish champions last October after working as a consultant for them during the summer transfer window.

He had been brought in to over see the club’s recruitment after Lee Congerton left the club in May of last year to link up with former manager Brendan Rodgers at Leicester City.

But Hammond has been strongly criticised by many sections of the Celtic support during a catastrophic campaign.

They believe he should bear some responsibility for Neil Lennon’s side being 21 points behind Rangers, out of two European competitions by Christmas as well as embarrassed in the Scottish League Cup by Ross County.

Celtic fans have been underwhelmed by the signings last summer, especially big-money recruits Albian Ajeti, Vasilis Barkas, and Shane Duffy.

Hammond joined Celtic after making his name during spells as director of football at West Brom and Reading.

The former Arsenal goalkeeper took up the role at Reading in 2003 and twice helped them win promotion to the Premier League, in 2006 and 2012.

5. Lewis Kerr

Good news. Lennon and Lawwell next please.

The best scout we had was John Park by some distance.

Wee Baldy and Peej like this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hammond about to be made the scapegoat for this season?

He isn't without fault, but * me he is one of the ones way down the list.
    First up is lawwell, Lennon, Kennedy, Strachan, woods, the fitness team, then maybe we can discuss Hammond.

We made some good signings this summer, it's not Hammond's fault the manager is a * and can't play them properly

We can all see klimala has something to his game - but isn't being helped at all by the coaching team.

We all rate(d) ajeti at Basel, his signing on paper is sound. But he has to get in shape - player and fitness team fault. Not helped by the fact every man and his dug can see he needs to play in a strike partnership, the manager never does that.

Barkas was also on paper a solid signing, 26, greek international, European exposure and playing good football. Quite obvious he is a shy character and is hiding at times. But the coaching staff as a whole and Woods clearly can't figure out how to help the lad.

Laxalt, has regressed massively, but we all saw instantly the impact he could have and we all said on his first game - we will drill out any sense of s decent player. That we did. Guy lit up a world cup for * sake. He is better than Taylor, we yet again just aren't playing him properly.

Turnbull, played opening six games of the season at Motherwell, then deemed unfit/not match fit by our manager...weird one that.

Soro, do we need to say anything? Guys a player.

Ely, talent is there, he was scouted probably before Hammond though to be fair.

Duffy, well we aren't going to get a 100% record, he's a flop.

Hammond for me is not the issue, if Desmond (or lawwell) try to pin it on him, then it just further confirms their attitude to football and this "job for the boys" act they have. Look after their own and make someone else the fall guy.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

7. jambo_cfc

John park should have been brought in , the 3 players mentioned had good pedigrees before coming to us though so that falls on the management not hammond !! Wreckon dermot will try and entice park back

8. horseshoe

Think if he gets hunted he's being thrown under the bus a little, we were all reasonably happy with our business in the summer, it's the management of players that's the issue more than players themselves, you just have to look at the state of guys we know are capable of smashing this league playing levels below their ability to see that.

Peej and Keano88 like this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Recruitment is clearly an issue, but a like for like replacement for Hammond with another name isn’t the answer.

Wholesale changes are needed. The way we analyse and assess players needs to change rather than just who analyses and assesses them.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  10. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Seems slightly harsh but more than anything we need accountability. If he goes then he shouldn't be the only one.

11. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    If he goes and only he goes it’s an absolute joke. He is but a symptom of the mismanagement of the club.

Lawwell and Lennon cannot survive this regardless of Hammonds future.

Leone Naka Fan, Wee Baldy and Peej like this.
  12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Plenty of good Sporting directors about. If Hammond goes we need an elite level figure to replace him.

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    To be honest, I don't think his signings have been that bad. It must be difficult for him to go and do his job when the chief executive pretty much stops the 1st name on the list for each position. He's trying to box with one arm tied behind his back. We all know Toney/Colley and Forster were Hammond and Lennons first choices in the summer. Had we got them 3 in, we wouldn't be in the position we are now.

Heads must roll but there are at least 4 names I would be punting first if I was Desmond. Hammond isn't one of the. Lawwell HAS to go, Lennon HAS to go and so Kennedy and Strachan.

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If they think offering Hammond up as a sacrificial lamb is going to quell unrest , then they're wrong.

For what it's worth I still think a few of our summer signings would do better under new management, with the right tactics being employed to suit their style.

Barkas and Duffy have been disappointments but I still think Ajeti will come good.

Leone Naka Fan and Peej like this.
  15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye cos Hammond should be the first to go :giggle1:

:lenny1:

Peej likes this.
  16. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

The Barkas transfer was a big miss. £5m is a lot of money for us, and to spend it on a keeper who seems no better than Bain or Hazard deserves to be seriously questioned. Other than that however, I really do't think he's done a bad job. I'd put most of the rest of the performances of new signings down to coaching because they looked good on paper.

Peej and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Cant moan about wanting everything torn out and restarted and then say the transfer gurus done a good job.

Get someone new in and scouted up for our new manager in the Summer.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Punt the lot of them.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I've always tried to be favourable to Barkas, mostly because the defence during his main run in the side was the bigger issue than him.
    He has at least proven he is a keeper and going by scouting/research I can understand why we bought him.

He has however NOT justified the £5million. At this stage that is down to both him and the coaching. I wouldn't lay this one at Hammond, he never dictated the price.

20. Celticbhoy97

It’s a start still the axe needs to wield for a good few more.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.