1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If he wants to manage in the EPL, doing OK in the CL with Celtic or Rangers is a proven route to getting a mid-table club in the EPL. He might suck it up for a few years if he wants to move back down south.

2. Sydneysider

Now someone will mention Mick McCarthy just to * you off !

I know Im tempted.

joemc likes this.
  3. GuttleGob

There is a reason managers who are a success in Scotland, get touted for jobs in england. Because culturally the football is similar whether we like it or not.

Marco Silva's methods did not translate well down in England, only for short bursts. He took Everton down from 8th to relegation candidates with a £450m expensively assembled squad.

His loyalty is questionable, he doesn't hang around for any club he's been at . Likewise, people think Lennon is stubborn, Silva's refusal to change systems and players lead to 2 sackings and 1 forced resignation.

Celtic can do better.

martin_d and SuperZidane like this.
  4. CountyDownFaithful

I agree with you. We’d be silly to not look at the likes of Lampard if he becomes available.

littlekennie likes this.
  5. Ak1

Well I'm going to get slaughtered, but I'll take the bite

Mick McCarthy isn't all bad.
    Ex Celtic player who won title and cups with us, so knows the expectation, club and city.

Took clubs (with smallish budgets at the time)
    Millwall, Ipswich and Wolves to EFL championship play offs
    Qualified for a couple of international tournaments with Eire
    Actually won EFL championship titles with Wolves and Sunderland

Everyone focuses on 'his' poor campaigns
    Wolves (sacked - and eventually relegated)
    But he'd kept them up for 2 seasons previously
    Ipswich (contract allowed to expire)
    As a club, they massively struggled after he left
    Eire and Sunderland
    Just didn't have the resources to succeed.
    But even here, having experience of setting a team up against clubs with better resources/players could be really beneficial to us in European qualifiers and competitions

Unless Desmond suddenly starts investing big and gets in Benitez, I'm pretty sure McCarthy would be within current financial limitations, available, interested and above all an improvement.

A better option than Marco Silva for me!!!

Going off for a lie down now, be gentle!!

The67Sound likes this.
  6. SuperZidane

I agree - didn't know too much about him apart from his failure at Everton until I read his bio. As you say, he doesn't hang around long - I think he'd be off pretty quickly whether he did well or badly. Not what we need.

7. SuperZidane

I agree - I think he would see it as a 2 - 3 year thing and defo would look for better things in the EPL.

However, I don't mind that as long as he's open about it and gives 100% while he's here (which he always does).

He is one of the realistic candidates mentioned on here and he would be the one I would approach first to see if he would be interested.

At least with Clarke, you would pretty much get a straight yes or no and, if its no, you don't waste time and move on.

8. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

theres lots of professional football leagues in the world quite a lot of them higher standard than here

why not look at some of the promising managers from there instead of someone we know the name of, clarke isnt an exciting manager and look at the mistakes he made in them last couple of games, he nearly * us for the euros when his bottle went with his crazy 2 non footballing subs then dumping them and playing the reserve team in the next game * us for the world cup qualifying backdoor route

* him hes a better all round coach than lennon but come on we are celtic we can do better than this, we need to get someone with the skill set of rodgers, id imagine theres a few coaches on the continent that use modern systems

Tommy25 and Peej like this.
  9. david100825

Someone with a track record of success. Not some hopeful punt.

10. oh bhoy

micheal o neill ,get it done get lennon to *

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Tend to agree, was all for Clarke in November to see us through and steady things when there was still a league to be fought for (yeah yeah mathematically and all that), but now we just need to seize this opportunity to build for a future.
    Get someone pragmatic, modern, able to actually man manage and has a thought about how the game should be played in the modern day. Once he is in, let him have the rest of this season to work with the squad, even assess haudit and daudit (Kennedy and Strachan) to see if they are worth keeping around - make it be the managers choice on his long term assistant(s) and then start to build a reputable group of 4 or 5 coaches that actually want to coach and would look to be here long term in that position - and not short term such as Duff (no disrespect, just clearly looks like he is someone wanting to step up in the world).

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  12. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Get Ronny back, and let him build that Dome !

13. SuperZidane

His name came up before and I was against it - purely because I remember Laurie Sanchez - did brilliantly with NI and then went to Fulham and was a complete **** disaster.

However, O'Neill has done a great job at Stoke. I have a mate there who has been a season ticket holder for 30+ years.

When O'Neill went there, they were worried about dropping down the leagues like Coventry or Sunderland.

Apparently, it took O'Neill a while to analyse the situation and start making changes but he's really got them moving (8th in the championship).

Quite frankly, if Stoke were to be promoted, I'm not sure he would leave the EPL to come to Celtic.

However, if they don't (either lose in play offs or finish just outside top 6) he would definitely be on my list to seriously consider).

oh bhoy likes this.
  14. SuperZidane

Indeed, I don't have a problem with Lennon until the end of the season assuming that they have decided this season is done and are focussing on having a new manager ready to go in June.

However, if they are seriously considering keeping Lennon if he does OK (in their view) until the end of the season then we are ****ed.

Either they will keep Lennon, appoint JK or only start looking in May when they should be looking now.

IMO - this should absolutely mean that Kennedy will have to prove himself as a manager elsewhere. If he replaced Lennon now and made a noticeable difference between now and the end of May, I think fans could live with giving him a shot next season.

However, if Lennon goes at the end of the season and they then appoint Kennedy - I certainly wouldn't be renewing a season ticket.

If they keep Lennon until the end of the season, that's should mean that JK and Strachan go also.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Perfectly put pal

16. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Wayne Rooney allegedly geting linked.

* that

17. DonnyCelt

Does anybody actually think we're actively looking for a replacement for Lennon?

I hope to * we are but with how the club have been this season I wouldn't put it past them at all to just be sitting back and thinking * it.

TheWolf, Sgt Neppers* and DEADEYECFC like this.
  18. KEANO1

Plenty of time for everyone to get their suggestions in, he is going nowhere any time soon.

DEADEYECFC likes this.
  19. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    This its fools hope ill put my house on it come the end of the season we'll be told lenny is getting more time because this was a strange season ps give us more money for season tickets pps we just sold eddy and bought doidge

DonnyCelt likes this.
  20. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

The key to getting a quality manager in is to get rid of Lawell. No quality manager is going to come in and have Lawell calling the shots over what players that will get signed. Desmond has already backed Lennon so it would be no surprise if Lennon is still in place for next season but Lawell going. However thete is a manager I would like to see and would play football the Celtic is Graham Potter but I don't think we could afford him.