1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freitassen

Also, have in mind Deila was supplied with atrocious signings by the board, unlike Lennon who absolutely cannot complain he wasn't backed in the transfer market.

Deila was completely out of his depth as a manager, had no idea of what he was doing, had absolutely no plan B and was just as bad as Lennon in the aspect of substitutions and in game changes. But he was a * man that took responsability for his mistakes.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Comfortably. And that was even before Lennon's second spell.

3. JamesM09

Spot the * on.

Amazing that he wasn’t even a ‘Celtic man’ but had more respect for the club and support than a ‘Celtic man’.

This is why we should steer clear of Celtic men from now on, especially ones that can’t get a job anywhere else.

SuperZidane, Wee Baldy and freitassen like this.
  4. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Should have been given all the thanks for seeing out the end of Rodgers reign/season. Instead he was given the job full time.Should have been sacked months ago. But wasn't. He should have taken the decision and left, but he didn't.

And we are where we are today because neither the board or the manager have the ability to admit they got it wrong.

Peej, Twisty and The Phoenix like this.
  5. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    For me, I'd be willing to let some of the horror shows of Lennon's first spell go if he'd never got the job second time.

I'd be able to put it down to him being an average but passionate coach managing us in his first job.

But the second spell has been so disastrous, the incompetence and unprofessionalism so extreme, that it is difficult to even look fondly on any part of his managerial career at all.

It's no exaggeration to say, he's cost us 10iar twice, when you consider both his spells in the round.

littlekennie and Peej like this.
  6. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Deila put a lot of the foundation in place for Rodgers (bringing McGregor and Tierney in etc.) but ultimately he wasn't up to the job. As bad as it was towards the end of his reign it was never like this. He did the right thing walking too and left on good terms.

Have to remember that he got next to no financial backing from the board either. I think Simunovic was the only signing that cost more than a couple of million.

Graeme1888 and Peej like this.
  7. freitassen

Everyone who met Deila in person that I know has only good things to talk about him.

He had a good eye for certain signings. Ajer and Sviatchenko were his work (want it or not, Sviatchenko was useful for a long time and solved our chronic defence problem for a long time). He had really good ideas and vision about how football should be, but they were never implemented. He is perhaps a very good coach but not a manager.

But giving him the merits for introducing Tierney is a bit unfair. He played Izaguirre, who was rank rotten for a while, until it was literally not possible anymore (he was suspended). He would play Mulgrew, experimented things like McGregor on the wing, and even signed Tyler Blackett, that atrocious player, for that role, before being forced to play Tierney. By the time he did so, people in this forum were calling for that for months.

8. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    He was a cheap choice and treated as such.

With the Huns going out of existence, Desmond, Lawwell and co. thought we could just wing it for a few years by simply being better than SPL dross.

We won a watch with Rodgers but as soon as he left it was back to * hour.

The67Sound, rickyroma25, Peej and 2 others like this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

People like to rewrite history regarding Ronny he was a terrible manager who should never have got the job in the first place he was gone after we lost to the huns regardless of whether he fell on his sword or not. Lennon being an arrogant * who refuses to see his blindingly obvious short comings does not make Ronny a better manager

10. DonnyCelt

Except Ronny was a better manager. At least you could see what he was trying to achieve, albeit in a job he shouldn't have got.

Graeme1888 and Peej like this.
  11. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I agree.

Ronny was a personification of what Celtic is under Lawwell. Cheap, unimaginitve and uninspiring.

But he left with some professionalism and some pride.

Lennon is an utter mess. And it's so far gone with the ignoramus that even if he were to resign now it wouldn't absolve him of the utter catastrophe he's presided over this season.

12. JamesM09

I think Deila would be a great coach or a great assistant. I think if Deila had positioned himself to work under someone like Rodgers for a few years (not at Celtic but in general) he would’ve possibly developed into a great manager.

Say what you will about Rodgers but he done his time learning before making his move into management. Didn’t try and take the short lazy road to success like Lennon or McCoist. I suspect I’ll be saying the same about Gerrard soon enough.

13. freitassen

I don't think Ronny was a good manager but factoring his intentions, the squad he worked with and the state of team he left behind, he is obviously less bad than Lennon. I think the only thing that could be worse than Lennon would be a guy intentionally trying to lose

14. Sgt Neppers*

How come this mercenary is being shielded from interviews??? Yet Brooney is wielded out doubling down on the terrible decision to go to Dubai?? Where is this brave leader of ours????

Saw another stat that just condemns his out dated thinking and practices. Conceded 16 goals now in the last 20mins of the game. Our fitness isn't there at all along with our organisation. Shocking stat.

* off would you kindly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    The Phoenix, Taz and JamesM09 like this.
  15. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That's really not good. Does explain quite a bit though, and backs up what Deila felt had to be improved when he took over from Lenny, and sadly have come full circle and finf ourselves back at that same place again. Obviously there are a plethora of issues at the club right now, but fitness should NEVER be one of them. End of.

Sgt Neppers* and The Phoenix like this.
  16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agree, but then disagree on the last part. Think Ronnie has proven he is a better manager than Neil Lennon - Deila never went 18 games with only 6 wins.

That says more on Lennon though than Deila.

Deila gets respect and praise for how he acted, spoke and treated the support. Lennon does the complete opposite and deserves the complete opposite from what Deila gets.

But we got to remember, Deila was a cheap option, he was meant to be Lennons new assistant before he walked, he was then thrusted in to conversation with Keane who told the board where to go - sensible and I bet Keane saw exactly what this board was all about with that move. He also would have known through playing experience how this board operates.

Deila was then propped up to be manager as no other Scottish/Irish/Celtic man was readily available (or dumb enough to take the job). No fault to Deila, the job came way too soon for him. But it was a signing inline with every other signing this board has made in regards manager - easy.

Rodgers was only ever here because of Desmonds hurt ego, plain and simple.

I fear once Lennon finally * off for good, we are going to be given yet another lackluster appointment.
    Jack Ross being the obvious candidate.

The Phoenix likes this.
  17. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly what he was lined up to do - albeit it not under Rodgers.

Mad when you think back to some of the stuff Deila said, he would go to Dortmund, Barca, Chelsea, Ajax, Porto etc and do coaching days there with other coaches. He was always at these clubs networking and learning new idea. What he learned from that is so valuable in todays world of management, bringing ideas together with modern thinking and approach to the "24 hour athlete" model that Pro footballers should be. An eye for younger talent and a willingness to help develop them. Not always going to get that right, but he was always open about it and tried to better himself.

Rodgers was the same, he attended all these places as well, done his hard work as a coach at various clubs down south and actively gets involved in inviting others to his training sessions now, all in a bid to help educate and develop talent.

Honestly, does anyone think lennon has attended anything like these? Other than brushing shoulders with other coaches in Largs?

https://www.celticfc.com/news/6008

18. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Our fitness is an absolute embarrassment and a complete reflection of the lazy manager, a championship team like hearts managed to keep the pace with us over 120 mins in a cup final ffs.

JamesM09, Keano88, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  19. StevieBhoooy!

While I now actually want Lennon to see out the season and have to face the consequences from fans and his spiralling cv...

(going now takes the heat of him and he needs to know what damage he has done come May - or whenever the league is numerically lost )

.... I honestly can’t think of a previous club situation anywhere where the failing manager has been responsible for such a drop in standards and achievement and yet remained in position so long.

I’m fairly certain that had he been jettisoned in October (as many of us wanted) for even a half competent replacement ... we would still have the league within our own control.

He’s set us back so far it’s staggering.. but Lawwells insistence on backing him since then is equally criminal if not more.

20. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye I'm not saying it to compare them I just mean Neil Lennons failings as a manager does not change anything with regards Ronny. My point is people like to revise history with regards to Ronny as he is a 'nice guy' it's very much a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder I couldn't wait for him to leave

Peej likes this.