1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Diego Laxalt!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Oct 5, 2020.

Discuss Diego Laxalt! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

His mother should have called him Diego Laxative...

2. northeast67

How hard is it to win a tackle and pass forward to a player or into funking space, and why is any professional football player who bombs forward unable to cross a funking ball.
    Good at tackling and that is it, he's not the answer.

3. freitassen

It was what everyone said. He started good, then notice everything around him, the French guys trying to force a transfer, the manager pals playing no matter what, the most unprofessional coaching of European top tier football, and didn't take long for him to down his tools and become like the others. Like, translate these conditions to your job, whatever that is. Wouldn't you do the same? I would.

We could put almost anyone in this team just to watch him regress week by week.

King of Kings and Sydneysider like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Taylor is the better option, which is mad.

As said before, Laxalt is a good 1v1 defender. But positionally he doesn’t have a clue, he’s dreadful going forward because he can’t cross a ball, some of his touches are baffling as well.

Not worth anything near £7m or whatever fee was getting thrown about.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I like him and don't think he's being helped by others around him at times. Lacking confidence which isn't a surprise coming into a side which was nosediving as he started playing.

For me I find it hard to criticise him overall. Was poor last night, granted.

He looked good when he first arrived but the longer he's trained with us looks worse....shock?

6. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Love the guy but the faults and negatives are piling up with him, dunno if he's just catching whatever is going about with the club this season (covid aside obvzzzz)

Sydneysider and DonnyCelt like this.
  7. truedub1916

When we signed him and he started he looked good. Sharp, fit strong aggressive

I made a ‘joke’ of wait and see now this will be a good test of our club to see if he keeps this or starts to look like the others in a few weeks

sadly, it’s come true. Looks weak, loss of confidence not as fit strong aggressive
    There’s something badly wrong in the coaching

Sydneysider likes this.
  8. ddub11

Think people need to remember the likes of him,duffy etc who come on loan ,cheap ,do so because they are not the best of players.

We are not a major attracation in world football and the players that come here are usually average,or cant get a game at their own clubs(because their not good enough).

We will very rarely get quality with the budget we operate with,having said that imo Laxalt is a step above your average * out there.Ye he could improve with his crossing but i think with a decent manager and a decent run in a team he could improve massively.

I think he would stroll into any other team in scotland, and that alone should tell us hes good enough for us albeit with the room for improvement.

9. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    Think there's more wrong here than simply bad coaching on our part. The guy's positioning is very poor, you don't unlearn that in a few months. Taylor is as good an option, if not better. We need someone new in the summer.

10. Foley1888

I remember reading he started out as a CM and as typically happens when you move players about even at youth team level you often find they lack that knowledge of where they should be. It often takes a proper good player to look comfortable in a range of positions and look natural.

It doesn’t surprise me Laxalt was a CM as I could see him with his energy snapping about and covering across but his use of the ball is so poor probably hence why he got moved out of that position.

I know he played at a World Cup at left back etc but as others have said he never seems to be on the right side of his man or aware of space behind him. If it wasn’t for his work rate and recovery pace it would be even worse. Mind you our defence is totally shambolic which doesn’t help either.

If we pay anything like £7m for him it would be a disgrace. In fact I can’t see us spending £7m on anyone this next season being honest.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He's a terrible 1 v 1 defender.

Last night he was 1 v 1 against McGinn who has no real pace or trickery yet ended up with his legs fully stretched at either side pushing him down. All he has to do is stand the guy up and make him look inside or back for a pass.

He has a hard on for trying to win the ball at the first opportunity every time, which is a terrible trait for a defender, as clever opponents just play triangles and pop it into the space he's vacated.

He gives 100% commitment but he's nowhere near good enough, that's the long and short of it.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He made an * of it for the free kick that led to the goal, but he’s in no way a terrible 1v1 defender.

He’s a good tackler and doesn’t often let players get past him. Positionally, he’s poor. But when it comes to 1v1’s he’s usually solid.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Being a good 1 v 1 defender is all about using your brain, he doesn't do that at all. He is on constant auto-pilot of running directly to the ball with no thought of how likely he is to win it or what danger he is leaving behind.

He constantly commits himself to challenges and 1 in 4 he will win and come away with the ball but the best full backs in the world know when to press into space to close down the man and other times when to press on the ball to intercept, Laxalt doesn't.

Last night wasn't the first cheap foul he's given in danger areas, knowing that we're honking at set pieces. He's been a massive disappointment from a promising start.

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I agree he doesn’t use his brain enough, but I maintain he’s a good 1v1 defender. I’m talking about duels, getting in to intercept a pass, forcing a player wide etc.

I understand it may have been a bit of a freak game but that performance against Milan (I think) where he had like a record number of tackles/interceptions in a Europa League game was him at his best. Still poor going forward, but he just didn’t get beaten all night.

He’s the sort of guy who makes tackles you don’t expect - stretching his leg round someone’s body to flick it away. Octopus like.

Ultimately though, he’s not good enough as an all round player for the money Milan would want. A full back at Celtic has to be able to contribute going forward.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. Cringer67

Good player that is slowly regressing with every passing game. This is what happens when you move from Milan coaches to Lennon.

17. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Would a forward thinking more progressive coach make a difference ? I highly doubt it because surely he was being better coached at Milan than these fekkin diddies we have .

Sydneysider likes this.
  18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He looked the deal when he first came in, really dynamic, its like we coached that out of him. Same as Jerry, last season he was on fire attacking wise, again its like someone has said to chill the beans kid, just go sideways and backwards when ya get to the 18yard line.

19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Laxalt may have his critics but at least he's putting in 100% effort and never hides which he showed again today. For a guy who has just come from AC Milan it would have been very easy for him to lose all motivation after the * show he's been thrown into. Depending on the price tag I wouldnt be against signing him on a permanent deal.

Sydneysider likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Avoid. Giving 100% is great but if the ability isn’t there then it’s ultimately not enough.

Constantly out of position. Offers nothing in the attacking third.

Dan Breen likes this.