1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SuperZidane

You're probably right and I find this really annoying.

The "Lennyites" on here say why should Lennon walk? - because the club have regressed under this period of his "management" and we have been **** (frankly embarrassing at times) this season.

I don't even expect him to walk - I'm sure that DD would do some sort of payoff deal that would allow him to leave by mutual consent.

Given that Celtic gave him his first chance and took him back when he had effectively been sacked from 2 jobs - a bit of decency wouldn't go amiss.

If he is either hanging on to the end of the season or be sacked, I'm afraid that his already severely tarnished reputation at the club is finished for me.

If Lennon went - I would have no problem with JK getting a chance until the end of the season - let's see if this reputation as a top coach is deserved or just players talking him up.

If he makes a marked difference in performances/results/tactics - which is as much as we can hope for this season - I wouldn't have a big problem with giving him a go next season.

However, if Lennon stays until the end of the season, I really hope that DD doesn't try to go with JK next season - I think (and agree) that many fans will not renew as they'll just perceive this as being fobbed of with the cheap option again.

If JK doesn't get a chance this season, IMO he will need to make his name as a manger somewhere else before being considered for the Celtic job.

theweeman likes this.
  2. TheHappyLoss

Why is there a groundswell of opinion on social media that this big cardboard cut out is getting the job?

3. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Ticks all Liewells boxes: cheap, compliant, tows the party line, happy to have the gig. Good luck moving the season books if he's next in line

martin_d, CH4 and TheHappyLoss like this.
  4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sending him out for the first presser back when the club knew how much scrutiny there was on the trip is just another episode in a long list of the lack of responsibility at the club.

There’s something seriously wrong.

Lawwell will no doubt hand him the job permanently before he * off in the summer.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Surely he can't get given the gig..

His face and attitude on the touchline has infuriated me all season..

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC assistant John Kennedy has rubbished criticisms from former Parkhead and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Pat Bonner that the club are not sufficiently drilled defensively at Lennoxtown.

Speaking in the aftermath of the club’s defeat to Rangers last weekend, Bonner had suggested that Celtic “needed to work harder on the training ground.”

Kennedy dismissed the observation, believing that it peddles an untruth about the reality of day-to-day life at the club.

“This is someone who is not in the know in terms of how we work on a daily basis,” rebutted Kennedy. “It’s a throwaway comment we’ve heard a number of times this season from people who don’t understand the process of our training or the way we work.

It’s might be a throwaway comment but it can be dangerous as then it becomes public opinion.

“But I can assure you it’s not the truth.”

What has been inarguable, though, are Celtic’s defensive frailties this term. An unsettled backline, the chopping and changing of goalkeepers and a pervasive uncertainty has created a porous backline; Celtic have conceded 15 league goals so far this term, the same amount they lost when the league was called last March after they had played 30 games.

There have been questions asked of the defensive structure around the club and while Kennedy accepted that it has been an issue this term, he didn’t feel a personal responsibility for the stats as one of the defensive coaches.

“I don’t take it personally,” he said. “There’s a lot more aspects of the game I look at as a coach at the club.

“The defence is something we’ve had an issue with. There’s no hiding from that and it is something we are trying to address.

“We’ve very hard at eradicating the problems and it’s something we’ll continue to work on.

It’s not one specific. It’s not just balls in to the box or set plays, it’s things leading up to that and we are looking to improve.

“We’ve had a number of challenges, like a lot of clubs, and we’ve found it difficult to get a settled side for a number of reasons, whether it’s the back four or goalkeeper.

“It’s not perfect, but that’s just the challenge you need to deal with when they arise and work on it.

“The consistency has been a problem for us this season and it is something we are addressing. We’ve not had enough clean sheets and have conceded too many goals.

“As a coaching staff we discuss it, go through the videos and look for solutions between us.

“You build confidence and relationships, in time you click and go on a run.

“We’ve been questioned but we can only reply by working hard to find the answers and going on a run.

“That’s the only way to deal with the opinions.”

Christopher Jullien’s knee injury which looks set to keep him out for the next four months mean that Celtic are expected to look for defensive reinforcements in the current window.

A recall from his loan deal for the in-form Jack Hendry who has been earning plaudits in the Belgian league with Oostende is unlikely.

“We are discussing bringing in a centre-back but as it stands he’s not one we are talking about bringing back,” said Kennedy.

“Jack as needing a bit of game time and it was the right thing for him to go and play.

“He’s playing regularly and it’s good for his career, but we’re looking at other options.”

7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Talk is cheap, the results and performances speak for themselves.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    To be fair I'd prefer if the hook nosed * said they didn't work on defending every day in training because if we are....then :56:

Time for a new line of work..

martin_d likes this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Why are they all in the papers blowing smoke up their own arses

martin_d and The Dude like this.
  10. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    * me packie is right he doesn’t need to be in the know of training. Our defence IS * and everyone can see that. Why the * do our back room team keep going on about players needing to have connections with each other to perform well. I specifically remember the Jose Chelsea team not fully getting on with each other and zidanes peak real team not all being that close. I’m sure there’s way more with big ego players that don’t get on. But cos it’s their * job and passion they perform. These * need to * off

11. oh bhoy

packie is right kennedy is talking *

Dip 'n' Swerve, CH4 and The Dude like this.
  12. CH4 Gold Member Gold Member

Stevie Wonder can see our defence has been a disaster this season

tactics don’t exist and this lump of wood defending this * show

Celtic management been watching the Tories closely this last few months

martin_d likes this.
  13. SuperZidane

Yep - this BS interview has tipped my opinion of Kennedy. If Lennon went, I would have been prepared to give him a shot until the end of the season.

Frankly, I don't rate Bonner as an analyst - he usually offers statements of the patently obvious and no insight beyond that. However, he is spot on about our defending this season, particularly from set pieces. To be fair, you don't really need any insight to see that our defence has been **** for 90% of this season.

As for Kennedy's response - "this individual" has no knowledge of Celtic's training regime (We have one?) is straight out of the Lennon book of BS comments this season. Perhaps, Kennedy is learning something from Lennon after all.

As far as I'm concerned, Kennedy can GTF along with Lennon and Strachan.

I'm vaguely clinging on to the hope that none of these 3 will be involved next season.

However, as today has shown, just when you think that Celtic can't **** things up any more than they have done - they find a way to manage it.

martin_d and oh bhoy like this.
  14. oh bhoy

the big nose * not realize ' this individual' is a celtic great and no amount of waffle is gonna prove him wrong

martin_d likes this.
  15. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    and that was proved by the Hibs goal tonight.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    His coupon sums up the state of our club right now.

17. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Give him the job till end of season. He genuinely couldn't be any worse and it means no more Lennon.

Dan Breen likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    As much as he's been part of this shambles, we haven't really had his side of the story, canny be easy working alongside lenny.

Wee Baldy, martin_d and callumrae1967 like this.
  20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Have heard reports he is a excellent coach, but he comes across as an uninspiring figure.

Tommy25 likes this.