1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Aidan O’Shea

So much better without Brown dragging him down.

The Phoenix and Dan Breen like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Callum McGregor praised the hard work, intensity and team spirit among Celtic’s ranks on day two of the club’s mid-season training regime in Dubai. The midfielder and deputy captain also hailed the physical and psychological benefits the camp can offer the Hoops, and said everyone knows exactly what’s required of them in the second half of the season.

The 27-year-old said that winning all three of the champions’ upcoming games in hand is of utmost importance, and said harnessing the disappointment of last week’s derby defeat can push the squad forward in the weeks and months ahead.

“The camp lets us come away into the warm climate and have intense training, and that’s the main benefit of the fitness work – it’s something you can’t replicate at home in the cold weather,” said McGregor. “The added benefit of the heat improves your fitness when you’re working at that intensity, it gives you a different level of fitness when you go back, and it’s pretty much impossible to recreate that back in the colder climate.

“The objective of the camp is to work as hard as we possibly can and take that into the next stretch of the season. It’s slightly different circumstances this time, but the trip and its purpose is exactly the same: we come here, we train exceptionally hard, we hit the reset button and then we go again.

“The trip has been the same for the last few years, as have the benefits of that in terms of fitness work, keeping everyone at their sharpest and getting the boys who’ve maybe not played as much football up to speed.”

"We come here, we train exceptionally hard, we hit the reset button and then we go again."

From a team-building perspective, McGregor said spending 24 hours-a-day with team-mates can also help performances on the pitch. This starts with Hibs at Celtic Park on Monday, January 11, and, after a week of solid, high-intensity training, the deputy skipper looks forward to hitting the ground running as the Hoops enter the latter half of the campaign.

He added: “The challenge at Celtic is to try and win every game. When you don’t, naturally, there’s a disappointment from everyone. It’s exactly the same for the players as well, and you have to deal with that disappointment in the right way. When you get the chance to put it right and rectify it, then that’s exactly what you have to do.

“It’s a big task, we’ve got three games in hand, and we have to win all three of those to close the gap and give us a chance. We’ve known that since we reached the cup final last year – we missed a game in the league from that, so we know that the points gap looks bigger than what it actually is.

“Naturally, when we start to play those games in hand, you start to eat up the gap. From there, we know that anything can happen in the sense that, once you get close, you start to see what teams are made of and how far you can push them. That’s the objective for us: to get within touching distance, to close the gap and see how close we can get it.

“And that’s the objective of the training camp: to bring everyone together, train super hard, and then when we come back everyone is refreshed and working towards the objective come the end of the season.”

3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    A bit of professionalism and ignoring the noise from outside. If only the club as a whole had the head that Calmac has got.

The Phoenix likes this.
  4. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Horrific tonight.

Played like he was hungover.

5. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Will not be at Celtic next season.

6. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    the night we needed him to step up and be a leader and he failed miserably, has to be one of his worst performances ever.

The Phoenix and Artorias like this.
  7. Celticbhoy97

Got away with murder this year tell me a good game he’s had this year I can name 4 or 5 shockers he’s had

The Phoenix likes this.
  8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Absolutely outshone by Soro who made more of an effort than him.

The Phoenix likes this.
  9. Lewis Kerr

Honestly, the amount of good games he has had in the last 12 months you can count on one hand.

People need to stop with this "best player in Scotland" *. It is so far from the truth.

The Phoenix likes this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The guy has given everything in a Celtic jersey, we don't even know what's happening behind the scenes at the club, i wouldn't blame him if he wanted away, he's a cracking player, for so long he was the whipping boy and maybe a bit of that stil remains.

Paul67 and Garrymac1888 like this.
  11. ddub11

He always reminds me of wee kid playing football in school yard,just running after the ball with his head down and getting in the way.

12. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Totally agree, actually thought during the game he probably needs to get away before he stagnates here.

The Prof likes this.
  13. Aidan O’Shea

That’s Turnbull.

The Phoenix likes this.
  14. Celticbhoy97

Im in no way downplaying his qualities mate, no player is exempt of getting the drop, he could be down as in our worst 5 players this season, that’s a fact

15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I think sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture mate, the vast majority of the squad have not played well for most of this season,hence the position we're in right now, we have to ask the question why this is ?

Hammy89 and HoopswithPride like this.
  16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Completely agree.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Our squad is more than capable of blowing every team away that we have faced this season (bar AC Milan). We all know why we haven't but I'll give you a clue - he's self isolating.

Not one player is playing to their full capabilities. I don't even think Turnbull and Soro are either. If the two of them had a decent manager and everyone else was playing to a higher standard, I think those two would even be playing better.

The Prof likes this.
  17. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Think he might be the player who's regressed most under Lennon, he seems like someone who thrived on Rodgers way of doing things Lennon's absolutely the wrong manager for him.

JCGE, neilly1987 and The Phoenix like this.
  18. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a class act and heir apparent to the captaincy on and off the park.

Disregarding the fact the criticism aimed at him is massively OTT, he proved with the rat * that within a team with a proper structure and identity he is a Champions League level midfielder. No one will convince me otherwise that his lack of impact on games is anything other than to do with the manager and coaching staff.

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    He’s constantly in his own players way you would think he was a ref da the amount of times he impedes his own players never did it at all year before scratching my head at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk