1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Neil blew the 10 Lennon..

That's it..

Raoul Duke, Gyp Rosetti and Crilly like this.
  2. ddub11

Dont be surprised if he is still here next season,if the board had any sense at all he would be gone today and a new man appointed and giving the rest of the season to prepare for next season.

Giving the fact he is still here has me fearing the worst.

3. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

It’s going to be a long season with nothing to play for.

Call me spoiled, entitled, whatever, but I couldn’t give two * about the Scottish Cup.

4. Sgt Neppers*

Been wondering that for a while now. What is the end point. The silence is deafening from the club. Makes you wonder who's running things and the inner workings of the club. The more that is allowed to go on and further we regress its clear its Lawell that pulls the strings. He has his yes mercenary in Lennon who won't rock the boat and be grateful for having his last decent job at Club level.
    Desmond and the board won't really be that fussed unless it really goes * on the park and in the bank. Lawell can just point to balance ce sheets and sponsorship deals etc that make everything rosy. Lawell is accountable to no one.

We need an engaged board, a CEO that is business/financed based and a DoF that can plan along with a decent head coach. All working hand in hand, supporting one another whilst knowing they could be punted if not performing.

Makes me think now, that an exit strategy is being worked on for Lennon and Lawell for the summer. Using season book renewal time to tie in with another manger being announced. This probably could be put in the board thread also.

I'm done with Lennon and have been for a while. It's clear he's only in it for himself now. He's putting his bank balance and own self ahead of the club that made him.

The time wasted is damaging us further, as a new coach could have 6 months with the squad. 2 transfer windows and hit the ground running for the new season and Europe, where we need to improve on.

Wee Baldy, charlietully and The Prof like this.
  5. CountyDownFaithful

Just get him to *.

No single person is bigger than the club. We all left Hampden in May 2019 feeling deflated just after winning the treble treble because he was awarded the job on a full-time basis.

Deflated because we knew we had downgraded from a world class coach to a former player and run of the mill manager. He’s not a gifted coach or tactician... but the fact he knew Glasgow and the Club was enough for some (well look where that has got us).

We need to get back outside Parkhead and protesting again for change. For heavens sake, our season is over and it’s the 3rd of January. He’s had £30m+ invested in the squad since he came in and we’ve sank to this. It’s an absolute farce that he’s still in a job.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Hopefully when they’re back from Dubai he’s sent on his way but I won’t hold me breath ffs

7. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Shambolic manager, granted yesterday wasn't really his fault but we are this far behind because of him. The difference between this clown & Rodgers is * beyond belief and Rodgers final 12 months where chronic but overall structure of the club has suffered thanks to this tool, the board take a fair share of blame also. The man who lost us the 10 along with the penny pinching board.

[​IMG]

8. Mr. Slippyfist

To be fair, I don't think it's really a slur that can be aimed at the board over this fiasco. Yes, of course they could have went all out and got X manager in, but what I think they've done is went with a manager they know and who has proven he can win a league title or two. They have certainly backed him financially in his time here, moreso than other managers.

I think it's just been an epic * up, and a failed call.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

The board are more culpable than Lennon IMO, even though they have backed him significantly with transfers.

For a start they failed in their duty to assess all candidates for the job before deciding on him in May 2019.

They then decided his assistants for him, foisting him with Kennedy and Strachan Jr who both have the charisma of a wet paper towel and by all accounts on what we've seen this season bring very little to the table in a tactical sense.

Worst of all though they persisted with Lennon when the League was still very winnable for an incoming manager, while we got plastered by the Ferencvaros, the huns, Sparta Prague x 2, Ross County and dropped points to Killie, St Johnstone, Aberdeen and Hibs.

Spending cash alone doesn't equate to a job well done, it's how that money is spent. That's exactly why a Hun board consisting of mediocre businessmen blowhards, starting a League below and spending half of what we do have out-manouevred Pedro, Desmond and Bankier. That is their legacy.

Qualify for the Champions League group stages next year and the huns will have wiped out a decades financial advantage within 12 months, which is * shameful.

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    He isn't going to get sacked as that would mean Lawwell actually having to do his own * job and recruit a new manager, when he could instead be dicking about arranging transfers/loans we don't need while haggling a few pence off the ones we desperately require until it's too late and we lose out on them.

Senna s1979 and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  11. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Spot on as usual.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    The fact they stuck by him for month's of this season of all season's, should never be forgiven..

It blows my mind that they didn't sit after watching us at Easter Road, Pittodrie, McDiarmid despite winning, Tannadice despite winning, the Sparta Prague game's, the 2 diddy qualifying game's after Ferencvaros (when be should've been sacked at full time), Ross County in the cup, St Johnstone in the league the week after, the home Huns game..

They've sat and watched all that, in no particular order, and yet they've still kept him on..

This is a man who had player's coming back unfit. Player's asking to be left out of game's. Player's starting up top from midfield when we had 2 striker's on the bench. 2 or 3 of our back-line being midfielders. A non existent press. A ragged midfield that offered zero protection to a chronic defence..

He's only just stumbled across some personnel that should've been in month's ago and finally a shape after * about with some garbage one's that never once suited the player's we had at the time..

How, just how could they sit and oversee all that when we could all see it was getting away from us, and do nothing. No a thing?

They will forever be scum to me..

I said week's ago. We can win it. We won't with Lennon. That was obvious to most..

I still maintain he lost player's after Ferencvaros and we never fully recovered. Even our dugout has looked strained beyond belief...as well as amateurish and toe curling with the laptop crackpot jakey beside him..

They could and should've put an end to this circus a long while back and we would've been likely...right in it..

Lennon has * us. The board have * us by no nipping it in the bud pronto..

He should never have survived Ferencvaros. Played no striker. Made zero change when we had a team penned in and level, who hadn't played much football for month's and again, he only reacted and changed it once we went behind and were out. Then chucked the team under the bus for his failings..

That was the end of our season right there..

Over 4 month ago. Enough to make you greet and they've done heehaw since..

This'll wound me and all of us for a long time..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Spot on @McGuire.

My tipping point was the huns game at home when we failed to register a single shot on target. The most disgusting performance I can ever remember against them, in this of all seasons.

The problem was that removing Lennon, Kennedy and Strachan at that point would have to involve Lawwell admitting he got it wrong, which he evidently didn't want to do.

He placed his own pride above Celtic football club and he should never be forgiven for it.

Not only that but he thought that engaging with fans who were rightly furious at seeing our season implode was beneath him. Only finally making comment after a few boys lost the nut and picked up a partition fence.

He thought if he could hang back in the shadows and not make public comment that be could then frame the failure as solely Lennon's in the same way he did with Deila, Mowbray and Strachan (final season) before him. Self-preservation above everything.

14. Pearse67*

When does his contract actually run out?

15. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

It doesn't.

It's a 12 month rolling contract meaning the only way it ends are by resignation or us giving him notice of termination and paying up the year's salary.

freitassen and Pearse67* like this.
  16. Pearse67*

*........... could end up here til hes 70

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Be right back mate, I'm away to buy shares in Zoom...

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye that was absolutely brutal as well but although he didn't get a free pass....he was slightly excused because of all of our call offs on the international break..

Was nowhere near good enough though. Another game where he played player's out of position (Mo), pulled a kid in out of the wilderness (Welsh)...just so he could play that ropey 3-5-2 which was more of a 3-6-1..

They completely cruised it and he had no answer..

That sums Lawwell up. * your pride when the 10 is at stake. He thinks he runs it all and is bigger than us. That's a problem in itself..

Spot on about how they reacted to criticism. Had their pal's in the media slaughtering the support and calling it a minority because they knew they could get away with it with no support allowed in. Had Lennon also brushing it off. Made up lies also about it being rioting when a fence or 2 was pushed over. Big * wow..

We should've known then that it was over. They didn't give a *..

The question is, why have they no given a * about what the support wanted and everyone with eye's could see was going wrong? The manager..

Why haven't they wanted to nip straight in and rectify this. Why?

I get the point of stubbornness and no wanting to be the fall guy but this is a supposed Celtic supporter. Why would you and the rest of the * on the board....no be doing everything possible to secure the 10 and everything else that would bring, for them financially, bonuses, legacy...everything..

Theyve failed us majorly. Unthinkable damage in the space of a matter of month's from our position of unrivalled strength..

Wee Baldy, The67Sound and Seán Mac D like this.
  19. ORIGINALS

A unique band of one.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Suppose it's hard to argue with any of that.

I just think that with the funds that were given to Lennon he should clearly have been more than able to do the job asked of him.

I still hold him personally more responsible.