1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Tbh their is point where this defence is pretty shaky because they have no faith in the keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Sydneysider

No, just * lazy and irresponsible. Bitton didnt drag him down, he put his arms around fatboy who dropped and flopped like a fat seal at the Zoo

morales has got a very poor diving style, but its good enough for SPL officials. He will have to look more convincing in the Championship or he will be routinely booked for ( very poor) simulation.

James Mc likes this.
  3. Big C

How do we know he’s *, I mean really??? He could do nothing yesterday to stop their goal and had absolutely nothing else to do. We paid a lot of money for him and from what we all saw of him before he signed he looked a very good keeper, maybe just needs time.

4. mayo

Maybe the fact he’s been here since the summer yet can’t remember him making a save??

Obviously not even doing it in training or else Lenny wouldn’t be rotating goalkeepers

A goalkeeper is probably the most important player on the field. We need a good one.

5. Big C

He never made a save yesterday, does that make him rubbish yesterday?

6. Sydneysider

Cant be blamed ?

He was very shaky and flapped at the corners. Seemed to shrink himself at the own goal and could/ should have got to it.
    No cover on either post, his area, his job.

And totally anonymous, did you hear the scum goalie constantly yelling at the backs " * get it out... * clear .." he is a shitehawk but commands the area.

7. Mr. Slippyfist

I've been saying for weeks that Barkas should be given a run of games. We've paid £5m for him, he's a Greek international goalie who has had a great career at AEK Athens.

I take that back. The guy is like a little child being thrust into a man's game. Zero confidence whatsoever, and has shown nothing to justify even a tenth of his transfer fee.

Whether or not he would flourish under a new manager, or whether this is a case of a foreign lad needing a settling in period to Scotland and Scottish fitba, I dunno, but what I do know is this guy cannot play any more games this season.

Hazard isn't good enough. I've seen 83 year old women with quicker reflexes than he.

As much as I don't think he's near good enough to be no.1, he really is the best option of the lot we have now, and that's Scott Bain. For one, he can at least communicate better with the defence, and does make the odd decent save here and there.

We're not buying a GK in this window, so aye Bain needs to come in and play for the remainder of the season.

8. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I get that he's not been good enough yet, but I think people are too hasty to write him off.

He's been here maybe 6 months, and can't have played more than 15 games for us. This was during a time where we switched formations, switch starting Xis and generally were poorly organised, out of form and lacking confidence as a group. He's been in and out of the team in that time, as well, which can't be easy. Plus he's left Greece and moved to Scotland during a pandemic etc, etc.

I think we need to get him in the team and let him have a good run of games to show what he can, or can't do.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Precisely why he needs to be written off for this season.

He's toiled since he's came in. Now I can accept certain aspects of transferring from another country and the types of problems that can come with it. Give him another 4-5 months of acclimatising to the country and the fitba then see what he has to offer, because for now he's offering absolutely nothing.

As much as I'm in no way blaming him for the defence, or giving the defence and excuse, but surely to * if you've got a floating jersey in goal behind you and you're mentality is absolutely *, it's gonna be even worse if you have no faith in the guy in the sticks behind you...

10. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Eddy was on the front post at the goal he left it when the ball came in which meant Barkas went towards the front post if Eddy stayed there the ball wouldve gone straight in Barkas hands . Not his fault yesterday

11. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Sorry Pad, I don't follow the logic here.

I get that he's not started as well as we all hoped, but I'd say Bain was just as poor (if not worse) when he came into the side earlier in the season. Now we've found a system that seems to be working, why not keep Barkas in and see how he gets on? We've looked better with the change of system, so why not play Barkas and try and build a bit of cinfidence and understanding which is still lacking?

The League is as good as over so what is the risk? If we don't play him, we risk writing off a £5m investment after 6 months.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    If Barkas had cost us the game I’d accept that. However, he didn’t. You’re going out of your way to have a go at him by saying we’d have won if he was in Rangers’ goal. It’s an argument completely devoid of foundation.

13. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Wasn’t anything for him to do yesterday much like Dundee Utd on Wednesday.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Is there any reason in why he's started here with such little confidence from pretty much the off?

Did he have a bad season or end with AEK?

From his YouTube clips, he seemed a massive presence and made some unbelievable stops. Now he looks smaller on 1 on 1's and shots in general..

It's hard to believe he's 6'5 at time's..

I've seen bit's since he's came in to know he has it in his locker but his settling in period has been a bit of a disaster, so much so that he's been papped out for our second and third choice keeper's..

If we can't punt, I'd be inclined to play him for the season no matter what..

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He didn’t. But it’s doesn’t change what I said.

McGregor wins them points, much like Forster did for us. None of our goalies have been winning us points this season.

16. Martybhoy87

I’m sorry but this comment doesn’t sit right with me!! He couldn’t do anything he dived and stayed in the same spot for Christ sake!! If he pushed his left leg on the ground he would have saved it.

James Mc likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

My point being that communication seems to be zilch when Barkas has been playing. Apart from the fact he looks completely void of any confidence whatsoever.

One of my reasons behind stating he should have been given a run of games was that - despite not making any save whatsoever of note was that he at least appeared to command his area when balls came in. Yesterday, he completely flapped at the ball coming in which led to the corner that they scored from. As much as I'm not blaming him for the goal, the guy actually dived at the ball and never moved from the spot he dived in. It would have been quite impressive if he'd actually managed to save the ball but the guy looks like he's a spectre in between the sticks by way of it looking like even if he got his hands on the ball it would still pass right through him.

For me, the best of the worst lot right now would be Bain, even though - as stated - he's not a no.1

18. Big C

Give Woods a call, he needs your help.

19. mayo

Never said that pal?
    Are you happy with him as our No.1?

20. Big C

I’m prepared to give him time. There’s no way we’re getting Forster, we spent nearly £5 million, I think it was, on him and I think most thought he was a good keeper. It’s difficult to judge him with such a poor team and defensive performance so far this season.

Pogues likes this.