1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite whiskey/whisky

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by KhingLarsson, Apr 3, 2011.

Discuss Favourite whiskey/whisky in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    One of my school passengers was finishing up on Friday , when I got her home her mother came out and gave me a bottle of Glenfiddich Malt , 15 years :39: no idea what that is . Will look lovely sitting in the cupboard next to the one she gave me last year , sigh ! dont drink spirits of any description a 6 pack of budweiser would have been nicer for me .
    I'm not ungrateful I would like to say tho .

2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Why not open it and give it a try and see what you think? Pour a small glass, leave it sitting for 15 to 20 minutes, then have some small sips. If you don't get on with it immediately leave the bottle for a few weeks then try the same thing again. If you really don't like it pass the bottle on to someone else you think may enjoy it.

Just don't forget there are lots of different types of whisky, so even if you don't like that particular one it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't others you might enjoy.

Failing all that I dare say you probably know someone that likes whisky that would happily trade you 6 bottles of bud for it.

Scotia likes this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Got myself some nice whisky glasses, and I got ice ball moulds too. Don't @ me but I think I'm going to prefer it with the ice, will of course try without as I know that's best.

Going to start my journey with Glenmorangie 10 Years and Glenlivet 12 Years. Saw Monkey Shoulder on offer in my coop so will maybe pick that up for my first blend.

Appreciate all the advice and ideas in here :50: keep em coming

The Prof and Doogs. like this.
  4. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Tried an Irish whisky on Christmas Day, and was pleasantly surprised...and it was a blend! It was called Teeling small batch. Actually really good if you can get your hands on some. Also picked up a Speyburn 10 and it’s a really nice, light whisky. Easy to drink and probably a good choice if you’re just getting into your whisky.

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Jameson’s and got a bottle of 10 year crested and two standard bottles for Christmas.

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is that the big moulds that pretty much fill the glass with one ball? If so they are the way to go if you are using ice. You want as big a block as you can get so it doesn't melt quickly and dilute the whisky, which is what happens with lots of smaller cubes.

While I don't use ice in whisky usually I have been known to have the occassional whisky cocktail, like an old fashioned, which does need it.

If you do get the Monkey Shoulder let us know what you think. Lots of people go nuts for it, especially in the US, but I find it pretty meh to be honest. I enjoyed the 3 year old Queen Margot from Lidl more than it, and that only cost £14 (less if you are in England with no minimum pricing). Admittedly that is a blended scotch where Monkey Shoulder is a blended malt, so you would expect the MS to be better, I just found the QM had more flavour to it despite likely being a younger whisky and having a lot of grain whisky in it.

If you are starting out I'd suggest the Glenfiddich 12 over the Glenlivet, if you haven't already bought that. Also keep an eye out for things like the Glengoyne 10 and 12 when they are on offer on Amazon down to around the £25 and £27 mark respectively, and Bunnahabhain 12 when it's down to £30. Those are very good for that kind of money and a fair step up in quality from most of the stuff you typically find in supermarkets for those kinds of prices.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cheers mate :50: I have that Glenfiddich on a list actually to try so will maybe go with that.

Yeah they are big balls of ice, these ones

Screenshot_20201229_200857.jpg

Lupis likes this.
  8. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Never drank whisky until I went over to the Isle of Islay where my wife was working. The locals insisted I had a wee dram with them so, trying not to offend them by refusing or by asking for a beer, I accepted. Several of the older guys were trying to teach me about blended whisky's and malt whiskeys etc. and had me trying them and I can remember the barman opening a bottle of Laproaig (don't know if that's the correct spelling) especially for me but, to be honest, I never tasted anything different. Anyway, before you know it, I was pished and put to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night and was sick all over the place and, since that experience, I can't even stand the smell of whisky now.

9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Im having a couple drams of Glenfiddich 12 just now mate. Great for what it is. Had a few of they Haig Club David Beckham things earlier, bit too sweet for me.

Get they big baws a ice tae * though :83:

Marty McFly likes this.
  10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Yeah, that's not a great introduction to whisky. I'd suggest, if you ever do decide to venture back into the whisky world again, trying something with a very different style to that of Islay. Most Islays, with only a few notable exceptions like Bunnahabhain 12 and the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie, are very heavily peated. Instead go for something with a more Highland or Speyside vibe like a Glengoyne (their entire range is unpeated) or a Glenfarclas or Glen Grant, ie something lighter and more fruity than those with the big hit of peat which a lot of people find off putting when getting into whisky.

I like peated whisky, it is what got me into whisky in the first place, but I am, by far, in the minority of starting out liking them, most people have to work themselves up to them over time, some just never take to them at all.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    You sound like a connoisseur sir. I might give the golden nectar another wee try and let you know how I got on.

Lupis likes this.
  12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Well, I've tried it both ways and..

It's better without ice :scotland:

Doogs. likes this.
  13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Yessssss:57:

Marty McFly likes this.
  14. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Knew you'd be proud of iz :41:

Doogs. likes this.
  15. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Cant stomach the stuff, and Ive tried some really supposedly nice ones. Ive also noticed that whisky can make people quite nasty compared to other spirits, no idea why that is

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Some whiskies can really open up with a dash of water added, but i always prefer mine straight, unless it's a really high vol content then water or ice may be needed to smooth it out to take away any burn or harshness.

Lupis and Marty McFly like this.
  17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That's odd, I've always found it the other way around. Having said that most of the people I know that are into their whisky aren't drinking it to get drunk, so maybe that's the difference I see.

carraigbhoy and Marty McFly like this.
  18. northeast67

Lagavulin or Laphroaig

19. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    That's a bit of a general question. Mostly I prefer Lagavulins, but the Laphroaig Lore is better than some Lagavulins I've had. So the answer is, it depends...

20. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I like both, but generally would probably edge towards Lagavulin. The 16 year old Distiller’s Edition is an absolute must try if you’re a fan of peaty whisky.

Like @Lupis has said though, the Laphroaig Lore is very good.

Bunnahabhain 18 is my favourite though, I must say.

Cheers to all enjoying a dram today!

Lupis and northeast67 like this.