1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Smithy

That’s clearly not what I said.

However if he had made himself bigger and got something on that shot then yeah, you’re right, Jullien wouldn’t have injured himself.

2. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    He hasn't shown me anything today to have more faith in him put it that way although he didnt do much wrong either. I'm pretty much rescind to the fact that we are going to concede goals against the huns and that we are going to have to outscore them.

Liam Scales likes this.
  3. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    He’ll probably be rumoured to have sang Derry’s Walls before kick off on Saturday too

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Pearse67*

Instills no confidence whatsoever, seems to actually make himself smaller when someone approaches him.

6. Onefootwonder

I don't want to be too harsh. He didn't do anything too bad, but again didn't do anything that makes me think he's good.

The chance where Jullien hit the post he got his angles wrong and didn't make himself very big.

There was also a ball into the box where he should have done better. He punched in out straight and low. If there was an attacker ahead it would have come right back.

I'm I being too harsh? Did he know that path was clear?

7. The Dude

He owes us a performance on Saturday.

Dan Breen and TheWolf like this.
  8. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Finally just seen the highlights there. I'm really not convinced with him at all. Not convinced with hazard as well but I reckon he does better with uniteds chances. He just doesn't seem to get near anything that's not right at him.

I know utd don't score but....he really doesn't give me confidence at all.

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  9. KingArtur'1

What happened to the GK at Athens...has he just lost all ability

10. besty7

Fav Celtic Player:
    johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone

so that sounds better than Bain and Hazard
    so obvious choice for the big game

11. TheWolf Waiting on the next Full Moon

I'd still rather have Hazard but its time for Barkas to use his experience and shows why he's good enough to be the Celtic keeper.

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. celtic warrior

Feel like hazard has been done here.

Only reason Barkas is back is because his price tag, oir defence has been * all season bit has been a tad better with Hazard and Jullien in the squad, still loads of room for improvement but hazard shouldn't have been dropped.

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    This is the one "negative" I took from his highlight reels before he signed, but he seemed to do it regular and with confidence, so i was/am happy to allow it, so long as it doesn't become an issue (or at least develops from it if need be).

As with your other parts, I still haven't seen him make any major howlers that would scream at us to get rid of. A vast majority of the goals he has conceded have been down to the defence and not him at all, Duffy being the main culprit at that time.

Before he is written off, he deserves to at least get a run in a side that is settled and knows what they are doing - and a better coaching team to help him.

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    just to offer a "defense" to Barkas, he equally hasn't been afforded the luxury too often of having a competent backline either. In some sense he deserves that chance as well.

King Kwon likes this.
  15. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    He also could have made himself bigger and touching it in his own net, welcome to football where a million possibilities can happen yet only one ever matters. Barkas closed the angle, Julien knew the risk sliding to save the goal, at 2-0 we’ve had issues with teams pulling goals back at that score. He put the team in front of himself and took a sore one.

16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Feel bad for Hazard but if 'Barky' manages to keep a clean sheet at the shitpit then he'll have been worth every penny of his transfer fee...

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. scootz

My thoughts too.

There was nothing wrong with his goalkeeping at their chance - he positioned himself to protect the near-post (correct) and used the defender to cover the open-side (correct).

There was only a tiny area that the ball could have snuck into the net (and it would probably have had to come off the inside of the far post). His actions reduced the odds of them scoring dramatically. That the player very nearly found that postage-stamp-sized area? Well sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say it was struck really well.

Turning him into a Whipping-Bhoy does him, the team, and us no good at all!

If there's any blame to be attached to Julien's injury, then that lies with Julien himself! He switched off and his lack of pace was woefully exposed.

Dan Breen, HTG, Peej and 1 other person like this.
  18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Don’t think he was at fault for the goal but would be nice to see him do something other than pick the ball out of the net.

I can’t say what I’ve see so far gives me much confidence in him at all. It’s a position I would be looking to strengthen in January and would honestly consider cutting out losses on Barkas.

19. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The best outcome in the goalkeeping situation is that Barkas finds his confidence and proves why he is an international player worth £5 million. Neil Lennon see's Hazard in training everyday and I get the impression he doesnt feel he is ready to take on the No.1 jersey on a permanent basis yet. From what ive seen of Hazard so far I can see why Lennon would have that opinion.

Dan Breen likes this.
  20. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    They say Barkas needs a 'big save' to kick start his Celtic career. Well you know for sure he is going to have at least one opportunity to save a 'Tav' penalty.