1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SuperZidane

It isn't about getting through to the players - he just doesn't have the tactical knowledge or ability. The Hearts manager had enough sense to see where his team were going wrong and change it - Lennon as per usual just sat and looked blankly into space.

Look at last season's Betfred final - anyone with a brain could see that Rangers* were the better team - we were lucky that FF had the game of a lifetime and laughing boy missed a penalty.

3 weeks later, Lennon put out exactly the same team and tactics at home. Gerard and Beale probably couldn't believe their luck and Rangers were again by far the better team and we were lucky to only lose 2-1.

That's the issue - if Lennon get his tactics wrong from the start - he's incapable of changing them. If the opposition alter their tactics during a game, Lennon hasn't a clue how to counter it.

Lennon's inadequacies have been cruelly exposed this season and as a club we are going backwards. I'm realistic enough to know that we are not going to hire another Rodgers but there are a lot of managers that we could afford who are a class above Lennon.

2. wulliebad

I totally agree its time for him to go,but i'm not accepting lenny was happy to win today just because its all about lenny as said in the thread.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

We got lucky as * today as Hertz sat off us first half it made it look like Scott brown was man of the match, the minute they started going at us and pressing us it was apparent that browns not capable! our manager picked Scott brown for sentimental reasons and we almost lost the cup and if he continues to play him we'll lose the league. I believe all our so called problems are coming about because of pressure caused by playing someone whose well past his best and is like playing with a man down. It's like a fukn Greek tragedy our great captain and club leader ain't capable and worse the guy on the bench is very capable

Artorias and The Phoenix like this.
  4. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    It isn't the only problem but it's a significant one.

Brown, as much as I admire him, should not be a first team regular anymore.

Not only is he no longer playing his own position well, he's having a negative effect on McGregor. It's a bit of a domino effect throughout the team.

5. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I would agree that he is not doing a good job so far this season and that it's his responsibility. Beyond that, I don't think we see things the same way. I can't help noting that Gerrard has been in post longer than Lenny and yet Lenny beat him last year. I don't think Gerrard's in any position to crow just yet.

He probably will be next May right enough (but see my first sentence).

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    For what it's worth, I got two things from today's game.

1) I saw enough in the first half to show that Broony still has something to offer us.
    2) It seems he can't even last 60 minutes anymore, let alone 90. He's an impact sub for me now.

7. Pogues

Very poor second half performance but you can't blame brown solely for that. Some pretty poor performers today, worse than brown. Eduard and Ely no at the races and turnbull was pretty quiet. Hearts were always going to put the boot in today and try and bully us and brown was the only one able to get in their faces.

No doubt brown is getting passed it and soro will get his chance but correct decision to play brown today.

8. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Never sad Gerrard was in a position to crow, my point was on today's performance Gerrard has absolutely nothing to fear. Even if the huns collapsed like last year which is highly unlikely I have absolutely no confidence lennon could capitalise on it.

We failed to beat a championship club today, final or not.

Sgt Neppers* and JamesM09 like this.
  9. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    It's heartbreaking as I want him to do well as he is a club legend and you don't want to sour that, if he is staying let's hope we can put a run together and start winning convincingly.

Sydneysider likes this.
  10. davidhannah

Firsty I'd like to see a fan ownership model take place for Celtic it would be a great thing to have a sizeable chunk of our fanbase as custodians of the club.

We've been told he's here to stay. It's a waste of mental energy to criticise Lennon for the results prior to the fan revolt, and the club statement - since then 3/3.

3/3. A cup. Quadruple Treble and in terms of his record 5 cups in a row in his second spell.

Ross Country, Hamilton, Dundee United Rangers.

He has 4 games to save his job. I'm right behind him. Couldn't give a toss how we win as long as we do it! Once we get Forrest back and our wingers back Johnson in full swing we'll be able to add a new dimension to the unrivalled success of the current team in winning games.

11. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Neil Lennon - The only person in the history of Scottish football to win a Treble both as player and a manager. Im sure even someone like yourself with your limited football knowledge and bitterness against Neil Lennon can appreciate that unique feat. Perhaps you could even bring yourself to give the man some much deserved praise for that brilliant achievement. Go on prove you're not as vindictive as you appear to be.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Could win is the champions league and folk would still want the case of the fancy ex epl managers in his place. IN LENNON WR TRUST.

13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't understand how anybody can think picking Brown was the right decision. Any half decent defensive midfielder would have stopped the hearts attack in midfield.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  14. Sgt Neppers*

Simply not true. People are making their minds up over Lennons time here as manager. Nothing more nothing less. His football was stale and his use of squad was poor at the end of his first spell. Which annoyed a lot of folk. Fast forward a couple of managers and Lennons 2 job(where he was sacked from both) he gets handed a job by his pal PL.

Lennons flaws still there, his knowledge base of skills, set up, tactics haven't moved on with the pace of the game and his ignorance to analysis and fitness all exposed, badly by a cash reckless Zombies team who like it arllor not, are playing as a team, to their strengths. We have been humiliated in Europe by his stubbornness and naivety. He has rode the life out of Rodgers previous regime and his stamp on the team is there for all to see.

It's nothing to do with being Irish, his love of the board (as infuriating as it is) or any other make believe situation. Its football. Or his lack of football knowledge, skill set that is holding the team back majorly. And that is our problem. We love the team and club more than we do Lennon.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    In Lennon you trust

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

That may all make sense when I wake up, but no after what iv drunk. Hero.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Wet your lips my boy. Hes about thrust more wins down your throat

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

We did beat them.

honda likes this.
  19. Harry Caray

Definitely agree regarding Lennon's tactics and how clueless he is.

I was watching Brighton v Sheffield UTD yesterday and Steve Bruce hooked off John Fleck around the 30 minute mark and bring on Olly Burke to change up play and it made an immediate impact and even though they got a man sent off before half time manage to take the lead and get a a draw out the game.

Lennon would never do anything like that and it's just not good enough

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

1-0 up brought on Tony watt for a famous victory against barcelona.

Dip 'n' Swerve likes this.