1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January Signings

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ApartPidgeon, Dec 12, 2020.

Discuss January Signings in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Would love to get a couple of decent signings brought in to help us push for the 10 but, if it's down to the same person who has brought in so many failures recently, then I don't hold out too much hope.

2. The Dude

These players are all either certain or, in my opinion, likely to leave by the end of the summer, for a variety of reasons:

Barkas
    Elhamed
    Ralston
    Pérez
    O'Connor
    Duffy
    Hendry
    Ajer
    Laxalt
    Bolingoli
    Gutman
    Brown
    Christie
    Ntcham
    Shved
    Dembélé
    Elyounoussi
    Griffiths
    Bayo
    Klimala
    Édouard
    Afolabi

There are another half a dozen other players who are substandard, or who have uncertain futures. We have a colossal rebuild ahead of us.

We should build the team around that midfield triumvirate of Soro, Turnbull, and McGregor. Robertson and Connell look like more-than-capable back-ups. My only slight concern is that we have seen so little of four of those fives players. I would try to persuade Rogić to stay: he is unreliable, but he is a sublime football player. We definitely need a more reliable option in that area of the park though. I think that the addition of two high-quality midfielders would be enough.

The goalkeeping situation is concerning. Hazard has yet to put a foot wrong, but he is still largely untested. We need at least one first-team goalkeeper.

Our defensive options are dismal, too. If Ajer and Laxalt leave, Frimpong and Jullien will be our only real assets in defence. Bitton and Taylor are useful enough, but, ideally, neither should be among the first names on the team sheet. Welsh is a work in progress. We need a whole new backline.

We need two new wingers - one for each side - and two new strikers, so perhaps a dozen players in total.

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Disagree on the likelihood of Klimala and Elyounoussi leaving. Klimala seems to want to fight for his place, and Elyounoussi's performances indicate he wants to stay on a permanent. Laxalt's stay depends on Ajer leaving, so he's a 50/50.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's not all up to the players, though.

There's no chance we're buying Laxalt and Ely permanently. We might try to sign one of them, but even then I'd be surprised.

5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, but the wages freed up by all others leaving could cover for Elyounoussi and Laxalt. Also, I feel they might be willing to take a bit of a pay cut. Moi in particular. He has felt how nice our atmosphere can be.

6. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

fwiw

Dan Breen and The Dude like this.
  7. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right now, out of the 2, I would go for Lax.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    But have to agree, we have a major rebuild ahead and have to wonder, Is Lenny the right guy to oversee it, given his recent dealings in transfer market.
    We just seem so reactive with transfers, rather than pro active.
    Left back and keeper a real shambles, Same with replacing Lustig.

9. Dip 'n' Swerve

Id love to see Darren Randolph come in would suits us if we cant get the big man back.

I remember saying to a pal a few months ago about soro, his response 'obv lenno think he is *, he sees him in training everyday'..

Yes, Soro has only came into the team but so far so good, the frustrating thing is he has been here from last jan.

Does lennon have the managerial ability to tell fringe players you are starting I believe you will do a job for the team - that exerts confidence in the player and the team helping create team spirit and unity.

I think we have players in the team who if changed role would work well in the long run:

Ajer - I like him at RB, could he also sit infront of the back 4, this would take the shackles off Mc Gregor and get up the pitch - mc gregor is a bombscare in our on final 1/3 terrible mistakes he often makes which proves costly. Imagine Ajer and Soro playing in there when seeing out tight games in which we are winning protecting the back line.

Bitton - similar to above at times can he play infront of the back four offer some strength and height - his pace lacks but he could be ok for cover.

Griff - what is stopping playing on the left instead of Moi and coming in off the line or stretching the game wide and deep

Jan:
    Ntcham - sell

Shved - did anyone hear his antics last week in Belgium ? I would still like to see what this guy can offer, he needs a run of games there could be a player in him. Same people were saying it about Soro are now in full orgasmic mode about him

Bayo - what is his craic, will he go in the summer? how is he doing in France?

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  10. Icicle

The reality is there will be a massive downsizing with no money coming in. Scottish based players I would go for are Boyle at Hibs, and Declan Gallagher and Allan Campbell at Motherwell

Wee Baldy and Mince.Charming like this.
  11. Dip 'n' Swerve

Are we that bad we need to go to B&M bargains for our shopping - Gallagher going back to a player we let go off

Look at the teams who gave us a lesson in Europe -
    Sparta - Karlsson tortured us in the 2 games
    Ferencvarous - they have a few players we could pinch
    Milan took Hauge for 4 mill from Bodo/Glimt
    Meling - Rosenborg now at Nimes

Take away the pace from Boyle he would be lucky to play Irish League - Mikey J is a better player than him.

Cameron Hooper is a better prospect within the ranks than Campbell - send him out on loan - worked for Christie and ajer.

Personally I would go for John Egan if Sheff Utd get sunk, we could have had him years ago.

Toney has scored 15 goals this season lol :-0 did we miss a trick?

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Would be quite happy to sell Edouard, Christie, Ntcham and Elhammed in January. £35m there.

Bring in 2 CBs, one to replace Duffy and one to replace Ajer, both who are leaving in the summer. Linked with Davies from Preston who seems a pre contract and I would go for Nelsson from Copenhagen to replace Ajer.

Laxalt will be away in the summer and I don’t think we will make it permanent. Bring in Doughty from Charlton, again on a pre contract.

We need a Goalkeeper to replace Barkas and Bain. If we can get Forster back as a short term fix while scouting Europe for another gem, I’d be all for it.

We need cover for right back, with Elhammed going and Frimpong struggling defensively. Ajer definitely a decent fix until summer but he will be away and we will need to replace both a RB and CB at some point.

We need a right winger. Zinkernagel from Bodo/Glint. Absolutely have to be watching him. Free from December, his goals and assists this year is unbelievable. Perfect back up for Forrest and can come in straight away until Jamsey is back. He also may prove to be a better option as a right winger.

Replacement for Christie and Ntcham. I’m more than happy to continue with Turnbull and Rogic. Both of which have showed more than them this season. Both don’t want to be here and only adds to the toxic atmosphere in the dressing room. We could probably do to have one more attacking midfielder in there but with the way Ewan Henderson performed last week? Maybe it’s time we used him in a rotation with Rogic and Turnbull.

Eddy leaving- the heartbreaking one for me. It’s clear he doesn’t want to be here and while we can still achieve £20m-£25m, we should cash in. However, we absolutely need a plan to find a striker who is in the same ilk. Ligue 2 and the PSG youth team have been good to us. We should be scouting these places regularly. Ivan Toney really does seem to be the one that got away. Ajeti I still think can come good and Griffiths NEEDS to get fit. But we need that extra bit of class up front.

new manager- I love Lenny, but he still needs to go. Eddie Howe is free, he’s young, he’s driven and motivated. He’s the next Rodgers for me. Back the manager in the winter and summer windows and you’ll have a fair whack at securing the 10.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    joemc likes this.
  13. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    That's depressing

Dan Breen likes this.
  14. Icicle

Would rather we looked at players that we know are good enough from our league first before looking further afield. I think the guys I mentioned would certainly improve the squad.

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In terms of attacking players, even after this season ends, we need not buy anyone. Shved is yet to be given a chance, and we have that boy Harper coming in, too. Johnston is fit again. Dembele is surely leaving, or is it only a possibility?

What we need, is a new defense. Priority should be an intelligent CB with great decision making. One more who can be a bruiser. A RB similar to Lustig when we bought him. If Laxalt cannot be signed, then a LB.

16. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Would love to sign some of the players you've mentioned however, you now what we are like when it comes to making signings. We usually * about haggling a cheaper price and, before you know it, some other club buys them.

17. Dip 'n' Swerve

* about with the big man - prior to covid I thought the carrot would be exposure in Europe before the euros and a chance to get into the England fray, we * that up haggling over money.

Playing infront of 60,000, trophies and Europe each season - many pros should bite your hand off at the opportunity or are they all capitalists looking to cream off the english premiership.

Ive worked on the scouting world, sad to say that good scouts are being squeezed out by agents who only have one agenda.. clubs nowadays listen to agents over scouts which is mind boggling

If we looked at some of the money wasted in the last 3/4 years - in any other world heads would roll.

Always like the Ajax model - look for SPIT (speed, personality, intelligence, technique) for younger players and when they get into the academy or team work on TIPS - I guess Frimpong was signed on that nature.

At present we need instant signings who come into the team ready for action in Jan.

Next 18 months could be saying:
    New right winger, Soro, Luca Connell, Turnbull, Laxalt across the middle?

Has anyone seen Luca Connell - is he developing - i guess no reserve / development fixtures is impacting his development - send him out on loan.

18. Dembele the next messi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Who says im leaving in january im staying for the 10

19. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Lawwell said we spent 35 million.. but forgot to mention how much we made in transfers over the same period.

Does anybody know? Would be interested to know the actual outlay after deducting the money brought in.

The KT money must blow a hole in that..

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Nothing to do with the fact Forrest was injured and no right wingers signed to replace him with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk