1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    He'd be a much better player if he was Scottish. Be an even better one if he was English.

Sydneysider, The Dude and The Phoenix like this.
  2. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    "These Irish Boys" "Them" "clowns,"... wind your neck in there lad... one fella on an idiotic wind up..

3. Dubliner1

Bitton has caused as much as goals as Duffy in recent matches. His defending was very poor. Hopefully, Duffy is now coming back to the player he was before he joined us

eire4, Sydneysider and Sonic Reducer like this.
  4. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Wind my neck in for what? Anyone who thinks that shane duffy is getting a hard time because hes irish are clowns!

5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

OK, so we support what is essentially an Irish team, we sing Irish rebel and folk songs, 99% of flags displayed by the support are the Irish flag and many of our support come from Irish ancestry. But we've got an anti Irish agenda ? What kind of * comes to that conclusion?

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  6. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    As I said, it was one person on the wind up.. so who are these clowns? These Irish boys as you described them...

7. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    He had a half decent game against Kilmarnock, hardly world beaters. He's not suddenly became amazing overnight, if he plays against Rangers, they will run riot.

8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    First goal actually should have been his as well, it hit the Kilmarnock guy and looked like it may have been going off target then it skimmed off Duffys boot/shin and slightly changed direction back toward goal even got a wee bit of lift to go over/through the other Kilmarnock players leg. Can even hear it hits 2 people.

Wondered why he claimed it at the time then it was inconclusive from the replays since its not full hd and wasnt showed in slow motion to really tell what happened.

9. CroBhoy85

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brooney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    If he can take minutes until then and be full of confidence in himself he can be a important peace in the game against them but until then we have important games every week

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 8 Pro koristeći Tapatalk

Sydneysider likes this.
  10. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Him and Julien look more comfortable together, Ajer is not a true CB, tbfh hes * hot at RB *

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  11. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Are you actually serious? He got pelters because he was *, not because of his nationality. * me, trying to make an issue where the only issue is in your head. Wow.........

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SHANE Duffy scored the goal that helped Celtic to record back-to-back victories for the first time since the opening week in October yesterday - and then spoke candidly about his personal torment at his difficult start to life at Parkhead.

Duffy rose and headed home a David Turnbull corner in the 70th minute of the Premiership match against Kilmarnock to ensure that Neil Lennon’s side, who had just taken the lead through Mohamed Elyounoussi, ran out 2-0 deserved winners.

It was a sweet moment for the Republic of Ireland internationalist - he was dropped from the first team by Lennon last month following a string of erratic defensive displays and only returned to the starting line-up against Lille on Thursday.

The Brighton loanee, who lost his father earlier this year, confessed that he has found it difficult to settle in Scotland amid the Covid-19 pandemic, but expressed confidence that he is finally ready to perform at the level he is capable of.

He admitted he had been touched by the support that Lennon has given him and revealed he was determined to repay his manager by helping Celtic to recover from their slump in form and enjoy a successful season.

The 41-times capped 28-year-old also dismissed speculation that he was set to cut short his loan and return to England – and claimed he would be “a coward” if he left as a result of the personal criticism he has received.

“It’s been tough,” he said. “It’s hard for me to explain because this isn’t the way I wanted things to go. I’m my own biggest critic, as well.

“It’s been tough, but you need to dig in. I’ve had a lot of tougher things that’s happened to me in my life and have coped. I know my form hasn’t been good enough, but I know I can come back stronger.

“The Celtic fans haven’t seen me before and since I’ve come into the club I haven’t been me. I get them, I understand the criticism. I wouldn’t be happy with myself either to be honest, if I was watching me play from the stands. I’m realistic and know what levels I can get to.

“I’ll just keep chipping away and it’ll need a lot more than this to keep me down. I’ve had a tough year and no-one really sees what goes on behind the scenes in people’s lives.

“Maybe I took things a little bit to heart and was trying too hard to do well here and not let everyone down. But it affected me when things weren’t going well and I was all over the show. That’s just me being honest.

“My dad as a massive part of my life. It’s hard as he was the one I’d speak to about everything in life. My two kids also live back in Derry and I’m up here alone. With the Covid restrictions I can’t really interact with the team as much as I’d like.”

Duffy added: “But I have a great manager here who has been brilliant with me. He knows all about it having been here any Celtic for so long and he knows what to do with me.

“He also knows what kind of player I am and how determined I am to bring something to this team. That’s why I’m not getting carried away. It’s been a good week, but I still have a lot more to show Celtic fans.

“The gaffer has been brilliant with me. I actually felt he took me out of the team at the right time because my form wasn’t good. He’s done the right thing by me and picked the time to bring me back in.

“The manager is a big reason why I came here because of the faith he showed in me to try and get me here. He’s been brilliant from the day that I walked into the club and gives you confidence.

“Listen, I wouldn’t have put myself out the way he did. He’s been great with me. He came around and he really cares about players and their emotions. He knows I was going through a tough time, I’ve really never had a manager like that before who would come around and care.

“How are you getting on life? How are you handling it up here? It meant a lot to me and I’’ll always respect him for that. Hopefully, I can repay him with some wins.”

Asked about reports he could return to Brighton after Christmas, Duffy said: “I don’t listen to that. I don’t know where it has come from. I’m here. It would be a coward of me to leave without producing. It’s not in me and I would never do that.”

Duffy admitted he had enjoyed being applauded in to Parkhead by Celtic fans before the Kilmarnock game. He is determined to give them more to cheer about in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts at Hampden on Sunday.

“Listen, there’s been ugly scenes and that’s not really what Celtic is about,” he said. “The stuff today with them backing you? It gives you goosebumps. I wish the stadium was full and I could really experience it, but I’m hoping I get the chance. It’s a special club with special supporters.

“We know they are always behind us. As any supporter is, there are frustrated as they know there is a lot more in the team and we haven’t shown it.

“We’ve had a terrible Europa League, the Rangers game and a couple of draws. They are frustrated and I understand it. I’ve grown up with it all my life. You just put it aside and get back to basics to try and get this team flowing again and get on a roll.

“Now the Hearts game is coming up is something to look forward to. I’m excited. Going to Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final. Hopefully, it’ll be my first trophy here. As I said, it’s step by step and game by game. The lads in there have confidence. We know if we are playing well, we can beat anyone.”

eire4 likes this.
  13. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Actually, he would be a much better player if he were quicker.

He has been quoted as saying he has been terrible. Thats from the man himself.

Says Lenny was right to take him out of the team.. seems your biased opinion is not even held by those two particular Irishmen.

The only thing that might have been better if he were Scottish is the Scotland national team.

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Fair * to Duffy for that interview.
    Some small elements of the usual "the manager is great" that ton expect to hear from any player at a club.
    But his overal critique of himself is brilliant to see him take ownership and understand the fans frustration at his performances and even understanding the protesting side of the overall decline.

Instead of calling fans scum, disgusting, unwanted, worthless, he's actually acting like a fan who is playing for the club.

I had neither respect or no respect for the guy, as he says most of us didn't see or know him before this season. But respect has went up for him for sure.

Others could take note

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

15. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

And it continues. An disgrace

Valhalla likes this.
  16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    If he was Scottish he would of eaten oats for breakfast on a morning rather than potatoes which would of made him stronger and quicker.

Bazza Bhoy and bkk bhoy like this.
  17. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Shane Duffy, just like Boyata, is an example of what happens when youth coaches give the wrong advice to kids. They told both to play CB. Should have been CF-s. Defending requires a focused brain, which neither have. I like Shane's honesty about past performances, though.

18. scootz

I'm a Scot, and I readily accept that Scotland is half-full of bitter / twisted *!

Mark Renton best summed it up: 'It's * being Scottish! We're the lowest of the low. The scum of the * Earth! The most wretched, miserable, servile, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just *. We, on the other hand, are colonised by *. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonised by. We're ruled by effete *. It's a * state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world won't make any * difference'.

That said, dinnae be telling me that Duffy was getting abuse because he is Irish. He was getting it tight because he was mince!

I hope he kicks-on though cos he's a likeable guy and is a * weapon in the opponents penalty box!

Gyp Rosetti and Peej like this.
  19. SteveyNico67

Pleased to see him back playing and back on the scoresheet. Hope he kicks on from here.

20. Lewis Kerr

Good man management from Lenny :fear: