1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] Celtic 3-2 Lille, Europa League, Thur 10 Dec 2020

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Dec 6, 2020.

Discuss Celtic 3-2 Lille, Europa League, Thur 10 Dec 2020 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TheWolf Waiting on the next Full Moon

Excellent performance from the young guns tonight and the whole team, best I've felt watching the Tic for a wee while now. I might even watch it all over again tomorrow on Celtic Telly. HH :shamrock:

2. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    the boys of the old brigade
    How many goals has our midfield scored this season , just asking.

3. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Couldnt be maybe my years is catching up with me, but anyway thank you for reminding me , he stood for 15 or more minutes us withour celtic colours proudly wearing and he appreciated the irish support for their allegiance to their natural club, a true celtic man from the calton.

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I just mean chill out. You can probably say that Lenny got it right tonight and you can definitely say that some of these young lads were brilliant without implying that you think everything's hunky dory or that Lenny isn't responsible for the past 3 months.

I just want you to enjoy it tonight, dude. There's enough injustice, pain and sorrow in the world to deal with without denying yourself a bit of joy from games like this.

Lenny, Kennedy and Lawwell will still deserve criticism for the last few months tomorrow and no one will have forgotten.

I hope it's coming across that I'm posting this with good intentions. Like most people, I can be a bit sanctimonious at times, but that's not my intention here.

Have a nice evening, dude. Enjoy it: some of that football was excellent tonight!

kramer1 and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  5. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Mate loved Tommy Burns as a Celtic man but as a manager in 3 seasons he won 1 trophy out of 9 the Scottish cup, a get the with Di canio, cadete and the likes he had us playing nice football, but as I say he won 1 trophy from 9, don’t doubt how much he loved Celtic and obviously the Huns were stronger but you be quite happy with that cause he’s a diehard Celt
    A lot of people were unhappy when he got sacked but the man we brought in stopped 10 the following season so in hindsight probably a good bit of business from fergus

6. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Thanks mate just want to say i get a bit carried a way at times but the fact remains we have become a laughing stock in europe , just cant accept the way our club have squandered the supremacy we should still have in our most defining year in history, that is at the hands of the manager and our tory board, dont want to fall out with any genuine celtic man but that is the way i feel , good night and i hope you and your family are safe, HAIL HAIL.

kramer1, Slater67 and Random Review like this.
  7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yeah, mate. It should never have come to this. I totally understand your anger at the board. Changing the subject a bit for tonight, though:41:. Soro was awesome, Turnbull Impressed me a lot, Ajer was brilliant, Julien looks to be getting back to his old self, Klimala ran his socks off, we all know what Frimpong and Laxalt can bring and Henderson looked not bad again when he came on. Genuine question: what impressed you most?

Green shoots, mate. Green shoots.

FWIW I thought McGregor looks a little ill by the way.​

8. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    w
    WELL fair enough they had the money then they are supposed to be broke, when tommy took the reins no matter what we definitely played better football than the current dross, don tblame tommy in any way but i do blame the * holes running our club from a position of strength we have let them back in FACT.

9. davidhannah

Right now it feels like the most enjoyable game I've watched all season. Got a bit hope restored that we could make a challenge yet of this title.

10. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Thanks for your reply i personally think that our midfield has been horrendous all season, mcgregor to me is not the leader we need a big stong vierra type player to give power in our midfield and maybe a moracic type player (i know not easy to find), but we know the defence has been honking but our midfield couldnt tackle a fish supper.As fR AS I AM CONCERNED WE HAVE LOST IT IN THE MIDFIELD, what do you think?

11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think Soro fixes a lot of that, mate and Turnbull takes some of the responsibility off of McGregor offensively. That was a * good French team tonight and our midfield bossed large parts of the game.

As for Lubo, ha ha I wish; but Rogic is not bad and I don't think we've seen the last of him.

12. Smithy

Great performance. Delighted for Soro, Turnball, Klimala, Henderson etc.

Please be the turning point in our season and let us go on a run now.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  13. liam mcnicholl

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I hope you are right cant live with the gloating that will come our way for the huns to celebrate what should and would have been if the celtic board had cared enough, just will never forgive a billionaire absentee landlord.

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ha ha, that may or may not be in the future, mate. Right here and now, the possibility is just a thought in our heads.

I think about it too, but I really want to insist on talking about tonight. It's been a while since we had such a good performance to enjoy, mate. Like 10 months or something.

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Night. :celt_smil

15. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    That is a good team we have beaten tonight. It is a team who play far different to what we face domestically.

Soro played well, a bit of energy and pace to the midfield. And looked like he was enjoying the game. Has parts of his game which he will need to refine (gets himself wrong side of the opponent) and also forming an understanding with the players in the midfield. Was a few occasions tonight where Lille passed right through the centre of the midfield, where he and McGregor were off with their positioning. All these can be addressed with more game time. But tonight he shown that he deserves the opportunity to prove his worth.

David Turnbull. I think we all know and aren't surprised by what Turnbull done tonight. He's done it with Motherwell for a few seasons and arguably he would have already been more established within the club, had he not needed the surgery that delayed his signing. Was discussing earlier what former player you would relate to him, for me he's an upgrade on Stuart Armstrong. Technique is so good, uses the ball so well. Happy to take it under pressure and draw people to him, creating space for others. And like with Motherwell, he'll get you goals. That was a real quality finish. Set piece delivery also a bonus. His omission from the starting line-up and lack of playing time, is the most questionable. Obviously, he was hampered in recent weeks by the SFA * up.

Ajer by far the most comfortable he has looked for weeks. He was allowed to play without having to compensate for his weakness. And may also be the answer for a few problems, takes away teams recent desire for shelling all goal kicks and free kicks into the right back area. Strong runner as shown with the assist for Turnbull goal.

I thought Mo El played well tonight, although he went to sleep for the Weah goal. Got us up the park, although not to the same levels of the away game in Lille. Klimala worked hard. Had a good strike which forced a good save from the goalkeeper in the 1st half. Would like to see him as part of combination of 2 or as part of a front 3.

As for the overall game. Julien goal was incredible to watch. Unusual to see a player be so open in the area. And for a split second, it looked like he was going to be too early for the delivery. I thought the penalty was of the soft variety. However well taken by McGregor. As mentioned earlier, Turnbull took his goal really well. Good running from Ajer and also to see something we don't do enough of, making teams defend facing their goal. The goals conceded were a concern, again so similar to many this season.

We must build on this result and continue to improve and progress.

Random Review and Marty McFly like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Lecs

Brilliant.

I said it when I saw the line up, couldn't argue with Lennon's formation tonight.

We've all been dying to see Soro and Turnbull get a run in the team and look how they played.

Absolutely fantastic. Soro was immense. Turnbull was involved in everything going forward.

Happy he gave hazzard a chance as well.

Laxalt is a winner, he gives his all every game.

Lennon has to go with that team from now on in.

Phenomenal, against a very good side. Best team we've played against this season.

Not getting carried away but that was refreshing.

johnboy19 and Random Review like this.
  18. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

If it wasn’t known before, it was decided last night. Desire matters much more in football than ability. Edouard, Ntcham, Christie take note.

Random Review likes this.
  19. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Last night proved what a lot of us have thought - Lennon's been too loyal to too many players.
    It will be interesting to see how that team does against a packed defence though - if he plays a similar team against Kilmarnock it will be a completely different type of game. At times I still think we didn't get enough men forward when we broke. I'd like to see 2 strikers against Killie.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Have you missed the amount of goals we have lost the last few months, the defence has been poor but Brown isn’t protecting it the way he used to which is what Soro done last night.

Garrymac1888 and Random Review like this.