1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Deliberate self sabotage or utter indifference?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Fear Dearg, Dec 8, 2020.

Discuss Deliberate self sabotage or utter indifference? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    It has to be one or the other

The lack of income next year when fans vote with their hearts and wallets will surely see some great Celts head for the exit door

The boards willingness to ignore such widespread discontent among the support will cause a rift I dont see ever being healed

Are they being wilfully blind or do they just care about their dividends

2. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Think we just really miss Jonny Hayes tbh

3. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over

4. JamesM09

I think they're grossly incompetent and have a complete misreading of the support.

There is an element of self-sabotage because Lennon and Lawwell would happily bring the club to their level than give up any control or power. This isn't controversial by the way, it's an extremely common practice, especially when a company is controlled by the same small group of people for a long time.

On incompetence, it's pretty clear Lawwell hasn't had any contingency plan. Not surprising because he is a very poor CEO on the footballing side. If you recall the leaked notes from that meeting last summer, it's clear how much of an * outfit we are.

Anyway, change has to happen and the only people that can force a change is us. Unfortunately too many of the support will lazily back the board over their fellow fans.

The Phoenix likes this.
  5. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Never give up hope. In the words of the brilliant Sam Cooke song - A Change is going to Come.

It's been a long
    A long time coming
    But I know, a change gonna come
    Oh, yes it will

6. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Nonsense. It’s because they’re not playing Taylor ahead of Laxalt, he’s a cut above so he is.

7. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

8. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Gambled success by hiring their yes-man, taking a cost-cutting measure by keeping him in the job till the league is a formality. Criminal mismanagement.

DonnyCelt, Morcombe and JamesM09 like this.
  9. James Gold Member Gold Member

A severe lack of forward thinking or planning

10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Might be paranoid, but the board probably see some financial interest in a resurgent Rangers.

11. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

The only ever real threat to the 10 was ourselves and the board have ensured so far this season that we will gift it away without even a fight.

Even if we somehow manage to pull this back and clinch 10, big changes are needed.

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

The Great escape dvd

13. saltire78

If the board sack Lennon after a hun defeat, bring in another big manager and back them with enough money to pull the season back they'll be considered messiahs by a massive section of the support. If that happened the club would also see massive revenue increase by sponsorship and interest due to the resurgent OF and league competition. If not, as long as they get close they'll blame Lennon, and still take a chance on the ECL money as there's 2 spots anyway.

The cynic in me says that from a financial, business perspective there's very little in it for the board if we win comfortably, and then huns then go bust. A tight resurgence or narrow defeat is worth more in.the long run, and requires less outlay to achieve. If they only care about the money, they'll do just as they are

14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well if I understand correctly they're legally obliged to put the shareholders first, we're a PLC.

I think we've just got complacent at all levels. I like Lenny, I wanted Lenny and I don't think he's a terrible coach; but of course he was a big step down from Rodgers. I'm assuming we did that, because on the one hand, even Klopp couldn't win a European trophy without a level of investment that was never going to happen; and on the other, for 9 years, we didn't actually need a coach as good as Rodgers to win the league. It leaves a gap where managerial power plays don't have negative consequences for the club and so, during this time, certain directors have been allowed to carve out their own little fiefdoms in a way that wouldn't have been allowed if times were more competitive.

I see this as a necessary corrective that was always coming. Sadly, it's come a year too early. Probably, rangers will dominate this year. Whether it's just 1 year or 2-3 depends on how quickly we work our way through this. I was disappointed by rumours that Desmond is backing Lawwell over this. That might mean it's going to take a while to play out. He could have actually slapped Lawwell down, replaced the manager with a top level one and we could have had the transition without necessarily even losing the 10.

Anyway, I doubt Lawwell will be here when we come out the other end.

15. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I’m hoping that PL and DD come out in jan saying we’re signing a top notch manager and leaving the league in the summer. Ludicrous I know but is literally the only reasonable explanation of the sheer mismanagement of the club.

Sydneysider likes this.
  16. smiddybar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    I guess we we will be paying as much attention to the huns score as we will our own, the only way we will get back in the race is if they drop points and of course we go on a winning run. Unlikely I know but it is the only hope we have.

17. TheWolf Waiting on the next Full Moon

The resignation by Rodgers shows the ambition they have for the club. They are not interested in re-gaining past European levels as they believe we do not have the financial power to maintain it, I would disagree on that. They are content to keep Celtic in the increasingly backwaters of the SPL where any progress to European elite levels is impossible when you are dealing with Heid n Hoof fitba each week in week out. A newly formed club, "The Rangers" helps them to drum up excitement in the league and helps their strategy. So the question posed by the OP is that I answer it by saying it is deliberate self sabotage.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  18. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Careful with sort of thinking m8 as there are some posters on here who might say you are "talking *", " or that you should "delete your post"