1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

An "outside" fan's view

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Leone Naka Fan, Dec 6, 2020.

Discuss An "outside" fan's view in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The ongoing crisis at the club has made me think a lot about its causes, possible fixes, and patterns of thinking amongst the Celtic support. I realized that not being from an English-speaking country makes me different, and perhaps my opinions and conclusions could be utter *. WARNING: massive wall of text ahead. No obligation to read any further.

I registered on the forum in 2008. The team was in trouble during that season, and after a poor result vs. Motherwell (I think?), most thought things were over. It took the death of Tommy Burns to galvanize the squad. In two consecutive Old Firms, we won, and ultimately took the title under Rangers' noses.

The next season, we couldn't make it. The board were very reluctant to back Strachan, and I see lots of regret about that season to this very day.

Mowbray was worse, and not even Robbie Keane on loan could save matters. Utter shambles of an appointment. Protests were happening back then, too.

This is where Neil Lennon steps in. There was fight, there was passion. It wasn't all instant success, but once we grew strong enough, it meant a season of European wonders.We scored, but weren't leaky. His signings were so shockingly good that one was re-signed after leaving (Izaguirre), another was loaned in for last season(Forster), and Lustig stayed for some 7 years at the club. And then...the lights were shut down. Instead of building upon our sucess, we sold away our best players, without having replaced them properly.

Lennon, further troubled by threats to his life, left.

Ronny Deila, a man unknown to most of us, came from Norway. People here wanted us to play "the Celtic Way", and that apparently meant an attacking, high-press football. Ronny did look to be bringing that, but the warnings from Norway that his defense setup was poor, showed in Europe. Second season was even worse, and a defeat to the lower-league Sevco in the Scottish Cup on penalties cemented his fate- he either left on his own, or was told to go. Still, he has some silverware from his stint here.
    Although he developed the likes of Tierney and McGregor into future mainstays of the team, there remains a view that he is better suited to be a coach, particularly given strong hints the board wanted to make him Lennon's number 2, which the Northern Irishman did not like.

The fans were disappointed, and wanted better. Many were talking about Brendan Rodgers. I thought: "No way. Too expensive- the board won't release the funds." I was wrong. To mass jubilation, the former Liverpool manager was announced. It was an open secret that Dermot Desmond himself made the finances possible.

I was skeptical about him, when I realized his teams weren't able to play a defensive game versus the big teams. I'll point this out, because to me, defense matters more than attack- if you don't concede, you get at least 1 point.

To me, the concept of a "Celtic Way" of playing football is separate from the "Jock Stein Way".
    He had his tactics- which obviously worked in Europe, then. My mom wasn't born when he achieved the iconic Lisbon win, by the way. I only know of some Celtic greats from articles and a clip or two.
    Celtic, as any club, goes through managerial periods marked by different ideas. What matters most, is effort on the pitch, as a way to respect the fans, and the traditional supporter base- the hard working class.

Despite my reservations regarding Brendan Rodgers, I was soon impressed by how dominant we were in Scotland. It truly was a breeze. Unbeaten treble, and even though the quality of football dropped in the following 2 seasons (his last was bang average), we were still dominant enough. Europe was the source of my frustrations. Rodgers was as intransigent as a Taliban when it came to his footballing style. He couldn't and wouldn't grind out results in Europe. I suppose domestic domination mattered most to the majority.

The cause of Rodgers' departure was bad blood between him and the board. They distrusted his transfer dealings, which was on one hand justified (he and Congerton couldn't spot a good defender in a million years). On the other hand, an invincible treble-winning manager deserves some trust. This semi-silent war went on and on, to the slow detriment of our club. Until BR left mid season.

I might be slated for this, but I never had this...rage in me. I never called him a snake, or Fraudgers. I had much less negative emotions for him than fans born into the Celtic community. I guess it was...because I'm some guy in a city on the Adriatic?
    Of course, it was poor from him to leave business unfinished. Lawwell certainly was relieved to see the back of Rodgers, though.

Lennon came again, to conclude the season. One Cup was bagged by Rodgers- I predicted that if Lennon took the remaining Cup and the league, he'd be appointed full term. And so, I was right.

The circumstances of the appointment show the root of our problems, though. Lennon was given the job in the showers! Lawwell admitted to have shelved away applications of other managers, which meant that there was no real decision-making process regarding the appointment. So, complete lack of professionalism by the CEO. I was more than fine with Lennon coming back, although Moyes or Benitez were secret hopes.

However, I also wanted Lennon to be tough with the board. They had treated him unfairly in his previous stint, and I expected him to be stern. What a let down that was. Tierney was sold, and replaced by two players who just aren't close to his ability. Admittedly, Forster in goals immediately made a difference. If we only had him vs. Cluj...:54:

The Europa League showings were very good, and we were on course to win everything domestically anyway, before COVID forced an early finish.

Now we are like a rotting corpse in the afternoon sun of Southern Europe- maggots and vultures picking us apart. One season after that nice European showing. Mentally, we crumble at the least bit of pressure.

The visible pattern since Strachan up to now is a decline in the 2. or 3. season, usually preceded by a tight transfer window. This makes the current collapse even weirder, because last summer was the most active we've been on incoming transfers in a long while.

Yet, we have not been this bad for a long time. It's like nobody wants to have that historic 10 achievement, but us fans. Usually, the board at least acted when domestic domination- and a CL qualification spot, was in danger. Now, they release spiteful statements and raise fences.

Question: is it true that we get into CL qualifiers next season even if we finish second? If true, this would explain the board's behavior. Money can be earned even without a title this year.

However, Lennon's behavior is mysterious. He said he had "mellowed out" over the years. But this Neil is not calm. He is despondent, devoid of energy in every sense, and refuses to admit anything is wrong. While we can score at least some time, our defense is now worse than Deila's has ever been!
    I say this as a man who praised Lennon for being less tactically naive than Rodgers.

Lennon has not always been "*", and I believe he could do far better than he is, now. What could've affected him so gravely, we can speculate

There are various rumors flying about. From Lennon simply being the board's stooge, to there have been a falling out with John Kennedy.
    If the former is the cause of our issues, then Lennon won't ever be able to walk in Glasgow without bodyguards, once this season is done. He's the manager, and only he has the right to pick the team. He should have had his own choice of staff, too. If Lawwell wants to manage, he should get his coaching licenses!

If it's the latter, why don't the board resolve it, and sack someone?

They should've sacked Lennon after Hibernian, by the way. However, it could be the man's unexplainable subservience that suits them just fine. Desmond had Lawwell installed, and on this matter, they see eye-to-eye.

Whatever the truth might be, I want us to turn this around. It is in the interests of Celtic fans to win 10IAR. Whoever the manager lifting the trophy is. There have been historical precedents in Celtic's hstory for turning around "lost seasons".

So, despite feeling rather depressed regarding the 'Tic for the past few months, I will keep some hope left. Still debating with myself whether to watch the St. Johnstone game.

Rant over.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    The67Sound, Taz, Morcombe and 2 others like this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  3. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Never read that but I agree I think

Mr Shelby, The Phoenix and Twisty like this.
  4. Sgt Neppers*

Hahaha you's are * *!!!!! Is the view I get from most other fans.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Lennon * off because he thought he’d get a decent club in England because he’d beat Barcelona the season before.

Valhalla and The Phoenix like this.
  6. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    He also left because he 'could take us no further' which is the case now aswell but hes staying to line his pockets because he will never get another decent job. Its despicable

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  7. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Wall of text.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Thought is was a good post by @Leone Naka Fan tbh.

Not saying I agree with every word, but well thought out and articulated.

9. villa82

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny Mc Grain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I class myself as a outsider, because I don't attend matches, but have a celtic connection, looking at Lawell,is he taking the supporter for granted and know they will buy season tickets and turn up no matter what, lennon has to take responsibility and if he not doing his job it's Lawell responsibility to sack him,grives me that players can't be * to fight for every ball, there again I am old fashioned

10. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    2nd place indeed. It will be a struggle to achieve this the way we are going

11. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    And desperately whoring himself all over English football appearing on MOTD, 5 Live etc.

There’s a reason the only club in England who’d touch him were * Bolton who had no money and were run by crooks.

‘Who else could we get though?’ :rolleyes:

The Phoenix likes this.