1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Haha, no way are we gonna win even if he saves that. Not with McGregor, Frimpong and Elhamed defending against that Hauge guy.

I'm gutted for him that he even could show at least 1 big save this season and I'm sure if he'd have come in last season he would have looked much better. But for the moment I think we need a short-term solution with a confident keeper. How long that confidence will last with that defence though, I don't know.

Sydneysider likes this.
  2. Jeffrey

The worst professional goalkeeper I’ve ever seen without exaggeration. The defence is rotten yes, but when there’s a shot on goal you just know it’s going in the net. Even Bain managed to stop a few in Lille and make it feel like we had a chance.

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

KTF in Barky :shamrock:

upload_2020-12-4_9-9-10.jpeg

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Hope we get to see this guy soon. I don't understand what Lenny's thinking about not playing a keeper in any games this season.

5. Sydneysider

True : Plus they had three in the wall who made sure he had a gap to aim for, it was fierce though.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  6. john2061

Look at the fourth goal he comes out with his two arms at his side and big foster used to make himself big as possible making a star shape to make it harder to score against .
    We need a new keeper and right back and two big beast like centre Half's in January .

7. SteveyNico67

Just two mints? I think we should hold out for 3.

8. Walkabout99

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Haven't posted here before as i usually loiter to see how Rogic is going.
    Would it be worth looking at someone like Mitch Langerak for a January loan ?
    Plays for Nagoya in the J-League which finishes season 19th December.
    International (OZ) and Bundesliga experience with Dortmund and Stuttgart.
    32yrs old and in probably career best form atm is a very solid keeper and would at very least be a more calming influence in defence.
    Also has champions league experience and Nagoya may be happy to loan him through their off season. Just a thought even if just to bring more competition for places.

9. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    These all sound like the same sort of plugs people were coming out with when trying to get Barkas in.

10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    It must be surely. Although it’s cliche, a goalkeeper is the loneliest job in the world. If you have a period where you aren’t confident, you know that any mistakes made directly impact the result, whereas say a striker who isn’t confident can hide away for 90 minutes. It’s one of those things that can snowball and just get worse. There’s probably a number of mitigating factors as to why he looks so devoid of belief in himself, one of those us without doubt the shambles going on around him, another could be the unrest in the dressing room but most importantly, I think he knows a lot of fans have, unfairly, been on his back since Ferencvaros.

11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    People defending his attempt at the free kick watch over again theirs no swerve on that ball it’s not aimed directly for the middle because where the free kick is situated but it’s hardly going in either corner it’s quite a straight shot aswell he should and could have saved it body language shows he is such a scaredy cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. crazy-horse1977

Cue Celtic signing a striker and LW, on loan, to sit on the bench......

SteveyNico67 likes this.
  13. wanmadtim Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka - Brown - Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Barkas is still number one...[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

14. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Its Barky ffs

bagforlife likes this.
  15. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    * couldn’t save a career mode on fifa

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

GREECE manager John van't Schip has backed under-fire Celtic keeper Vasilis Barkas to come good and believes his weight loss may have contributed to his Parkhead problems.

The former AEK Athens keeper moved to Glasgow in a bumper £5 million deal in July as a replacement for on loan Southampton star Fraser Forster.

But his time in Scotland turned sour after losing his place following a series of dodgy displays. He was reinstated recently by under-pressure manager Neil Lennon, but lost six goals in two games to Ross County and away to AC Milan, with Celtic in full crisis mode.

Greece boss van't Schip also dropped him from his team - Barkas has started just one out of Greece's six games, a friendly last month against Cyprus.

And the Dutch boss, who took charge of Greece last year after previously being No.2 at Ajax and the Netherlands as well as managing in Mexico and Australia, insists 26-year-old Barkas must quickly adapt to Scottish football as soon as possible.

He said: "Vasilis has now just to concentrate on bouncing back both for Celtic and the national team.

He lost a lot of weight since he joined Celtic too and I think he needs to adapt to the Scottish way of doing everything.

"By that I mean, the training, the games, the food, the weather, the mentality.

"Part of the job of being a goalkeeper is reacting to the pressure and criticism and I hope he will do that.

You have to remember he was a very good goalkeeper at AEK Athens and did a really good job there.

"I still believe he is still an excellent keeper and he will show that."

17. James Gold Member Gold Member

Aye that's it get him a chippy and the bold Barky will be flying

18. CountyDownFaithful

We've got a stick man in between the sticks.

littlekennie likes this.
  19. CountyDownFaithful

Money doesn't always guarantee quality.

We can't write him off because A) everyone has been poor B) he is still adjusting and C) he has an unsettled defence in front of him.

But we certainly can't afford to wait and see if he comes good.

We must surely be looking to bring a GK in on loan in January. A big commanding presence who can walk in and handle the pressure of being No.1

Breathnach67 likes this.
  20. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Makes me think there’s something up with him mentally, losing weight, lack of confidence. Maybe Ajeti and Duffy should share out the foodstuffs at lennoxtown.