1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SteveyNico67

Desmond went out and made Rodgers his.

A new managerial signing like that is required again. What calms me is I think Desmond knows it.

Problem is, we are still in this title race - no matter what anyone else says. We’re - if we manage to win those games in hand - only a couple of wins away from Sevco with them still to play 3 times. They have still to go through their sticky patch and have a tough January and are still fighting on all fronts. We have a January transfer window to strengthen - they could have a few players pinched (money talks for them, a good offer they’ll struggle to refuse). A lot can change. So regarding the manager’s role in all this - this league is still salvageable if Desmond decides it’s salvageable. It’s that simple.

I assume we’ll win the St Johnstone game - there was enough good attacking intent in the last Milan game to suggest we’ll score more than they do... maybe. But waiting till we drop more league points, making winning the league and the 10 a thankless task, is unforgivable.

Lennon should have gone after the first rangers game or immediately after the comments after the ferenvacos game. Yes, Celtic are a buy/ selling club, so you’re always going to have players with hearts half full - if you’re the Celtic manager - deal with it. Rodgers won a treble treble with the same kind of players. The rate our players have regressed under Lennon is terrifying.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  2. Bunk Moreland

Deila was actually brought in to be assistant to Lennon, get experience of the club and then take over as manager, that was always their intention, however Lennon * off before they expected and left Deila with his * in his hand.

Rodgers was persued by Desmond as soon as Deila said he was leaving but it took months to actually get him.

Sure we could name a dozen but would you take choice 11 or 12 just because they could come right away or chase after choice 1 or 2 that will take a few weeks longer to get?

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah that's what I mean about deila and Rodgers.

You've a fair point regarding choice 11 or 12, we see it all too often with players as well.
    But they really should have been doing this a month ago, I just don't believe they have been actively doing what we know should be done.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

JamesM09 likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Imagine that. Complete clash of personalities and philosophies.

Would have been a mess.

freitassen and rickyroma25 like this.
  5. JamesM09

I’m fairly sure they don’t seeing as we’re on one of our worst runs in 70 years, one of the worst ever teams to compete in the Europa League and they haven’t replaced the manager. Let’s not pretend managers aren’t successfully replaced mid-season all the time please. Their lack of action is certainly a ‘suggestion’ they’ve not got a * plan.

By the way, it is as simple as having candidates then hiring one. That’s literally as simple as it is. It’s about planning for the worst then executing that plan. They’ve clearly been caught without a clue of what to do. It’s the only explanation for this abomination.

I think your confusing simple with easy. It’s not easy to replace a manager, fortunately we have one of the highest paid CEOs in British football, so he should be able to get it done before it’s too late. Oh wait..

Again, let’s not pretend it isn’t part of the job for which he should be rightly judged.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Keano88 and The Dude like this.
  6. Bunk Moreland

If this is the case at CP, a month ago I would expect they started looking at a list and got it down to x amount of candidates, I would say maybe two weeks ago they they started think right this is critical now and started to make unofficial contact through agents or whoever about availability, if they decided after the Sparta Prague game right Lennon is definitely getting sacked and started talks with candidates then it's only been a week since then to talk to all candidates chose one sort out contracts, contracts for his backroom staff arrange everything etc. A month isn't really a long time.

Peej likes this.
  7. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    I think it's arguable part of the reason this season has gone tuts up is because there is a very clear disconnect between Kennedy, who apparently the players like and who appears to be the main coach, and Lennon who doesn't quite get the methods and training regime of the Rodgers era. Hence why there are so many erratic displays to the extent nobody seems to know what the game plan is or what they are supposed to be doing.

Duff's presence last year seem to ameliorate these issues, in that he appeared to be good with Lennon but also close to Kennedy and the players.

If we had a clear direction we'd be doing so much better. The case for sacking Lennon is so overwhelming that every day he remains manager is a shocking dereliction of duty on par with the financial mismanagement of the 90s.

8. Bunk Moreland

Ever known a manager to come in mid-season and win a league from behind? I'm sure there maybe has been a couple but I couldn't name any. That's the difference, we could get a manager that comes in a successfully makes us play better, that wouldn't be hard but what we want is a manager who can come in and win every game from now until the end of the season or as close to that as possible. We don't need someone who will improve the team, we need someone who will vastly improve the team.

9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If it plays out that way, and it should be you are 100% correct it should be working out this way.

But I just don't think our board are that competent at all.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

10. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Deila was brought in to be Keane's assistant and Keane by the grace of * gave us the KB.

11. oh bhoy

Desmond going out and making a Rodgers type appointment is all well and good until lawwell tries to make a * out of him by not signing the players he wants like he did with rodgers.

12. JamesM09

Have I ever seen a manager come in mid season and win a league from behind? No - but that’s a disingenuous question. Have I ever seen a manager come in and close a 5 point gap on the team above?

Yes, it happens more often than not when they have a squad of proven quality that is underperforming due to exceptionally poor management. You will see many teams do it this season.

I’m not saying it’s a certainty or it will be easy - of course not. What I do know is it’s more than possible, though it gets harder every single day that our board remains in dereliction of its duty. This is an eventuality that should be planned for, it clearly hasn’t been - and that’s shocking.

I don’t see what benefit there is to pretend teams don’t successfully change manager mid-season. It’s common practice and it often works. Much rarer is it that a manager performing this poorly turns it around in the same season.

The Dude likes this.
  13. Bunk Moreland

The one thing Lawwell and Desmond have is big egos but their reputation is dependent on what Celtic do on the park and neither of those two want to be the ones who threw away 10 in a row. Look at the transfer window in the summer, they threw money at Lennon and kept every player we could have sold for big money because both want feed their egos with 10 in a row, they won't let Lennon * that up for them so that's why I'm confident the wheels are in motion. It's not a case of competence, it's a case of self preservation for the two.

Peej likes this.
  14. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I doubt it would even be just 8 points anyway. We've won 2 from 11, banking on 6 points from the 2 games in hand seems a tad optimistic to me.

15. stew37

If they really cared about what happens on the park they wouldn't have appointed Lennon after Rodgers in my opinion.

16. The Dude

The circumstances and expectations at Celtic are unlike those at any other club in the world.

I doubt that many managers have been sacked with the club in touching distance of the top of the league, so asking people to cite examples of managers who have turned around a title race, when the points deficits in those scenarios are probably significantly larger, is pointless. A competent manager would, unquestionably, be able to bridge a five-point gap.

rickyroma25 likes this.
  17. James Gold Member Gold Member

There is some really good managers out of work just now if we would just pull the trigger and show some ambition

The Phoenix likes this.
  18. Sgt Neppers*

Viera sacked from Nice after 5 straight defeats. That's leadership. That's bravery. That's how you manage a club. Swift and decisive actions.

Not the limbo we're currently going through.....Still get worse as well ffs

The Phoenix and Peej like this.
  19. Bunk Moreland

It was worded like that because that's only target we want. Sure I've seen new managers close a 5 point gap to the team above but it's far easier doing it mid-table and even easier doing it at the bottom end when the team above is dropping points at roughly the same rate you are, which is quite a few when it's that level of the league, The Huns aren't dropping that much, so we need to go on a long winning run which narrows the likely candidates down who can realistically deliver that from probably a dozen upwards to more than likely just a couple.

20. oh bhoy

I wonder if desmond has another 'trading places' type bet going with some * on the sevco board this year again .There is no rational or logical reason Lennon is still employed here