1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Debenhams set to close

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 1, 2020.

Discuss Debenhams set to close in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55142724

"Debenhams stores are set to close after the failure of last-ditch efforts to rescue the ailing department store chain.

It means all 12,000 employees are likely to lose their jobs when the chain's 124 shops cease trading.

Debenhams fell into administration for the second time in April and hopes had rested on a rescue bid from JD Sports.

But after the sports chain pulled out, hopes of saving the 242-year-old department store chain faded.

The 12,000 jobs at the retailer are set to go over the coming months unless the administrators do a deal for all or parts of the business as the process unfolds.

Staff were told the news on Tuesday morning.

Debenhams outlets will continue to accept the firm's store cards and process returns as normal."

Feel * for their staff, getting that news before Christmas. Always liked Debenhams as a store too.

Sydneysider and buchanbhoy like this.
  2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Another national institution that has been mismanaged and ran into the ground.
    I feel sorry for the people that will lose their jobs through no fault of their own and try to find alternative employment in this difficult times .

3. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    That is harsh. I really do feel for the staff there.

Only have those at the top to blame.
    The business model was unsustainable and even going into admin twice they never seemed to change it up.
    Far too expensive and for what? The same * you can buy at any discount store?

Ah well....can see my work getting a massive influx of stock now

4. Onefootwonder

I feel sorry for all of those affected. It will be a big loss for the high street.

People do need to think more about supporting local jobs.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There will be a lot more to come unfortunately. The high street was always dieing, and Covid has accelerated that trend by about a decade.

The UK really needs to re-design what a town/centre or high street is meant to be. If people want to shop, they’re likely more to go online or into a retail park than into a town/city centre. See so many European town centres where the focus is much more geared towards leisure and entertainment than retail, and they’re much nicer places to be for it.

6. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Totally. They are more inclined to retail districts rather than all over the place.
    Plenty of bars, cafes, venues.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think people like to talk a good game about supporting jobs but often don’t follow through.

The busiest restaurants during the ‘eat out to help out scheme’ were the massive chains. I stopped for a * in McDonalds and was told it was reservation only :giggle1:

There’s a cafe just a street away from me. Speak to the owner regularly and he tells me how frustrating it is to see a deliveroo or Uber eats
    driver handing over Starbucks coffee to folk literally next door to his cafe, but I can imagine it being a regular occurrence.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I actually like debenhams, but every single thing sold can be found elsewhere cheaper, its vastly over priced.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Yup sad to see the high street going so quickly. As said above this * virus has just brought forward the inevitable. The real wake up call for me was Woolies. If that can go then i think anyone can go. They just didn't adapt. It's been a while now you've really needed a motor to go and do a family shop or anything else as it's all out of town retail parks. Also, a lot of people that didn't use online sites have started it now and it's finished them off. Won't be the last either. Like the crash it'll be 6/12 months after this * has finished that'll you'll see a lot more grief.

10. Onefootwonder

I said at the time McDonald's all of the places like that shouldn't be included in the eat out deal. They had queues streets long when they opened for drive thru. They were always making good money and they were always going to survive. They aren't the ones needing the help.

I do buy the most of my stuff local. I won't pretend I've not been to McDonald's or the supermarket, but I buy lots from local shops and eat in locally owned restaurants when I can. I do the same when on holiday. I find that locally owned food based shops and restaurants are dependent on their reputation and the quality is higher.

I don't order much online. I don't find online shopping as convenient as other people do. I hate planning my day around waiting on a courier delivering. It's even more of a pain in the * now with the couriers all too busy and not accurate with their delivery day.

Dalbeth3 likes this.
  11. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Sorry for all those who will lose their jobs through no fault of their own.Lockdown doesn't work,let us get on with things and save the economy and people's livelihoods before it gets worse.This can't go on much longer.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Lives>jobs. The people at fault are the directors not the government for this. Same with plenty of other retail stores. They didn't update with the times even when things previously had gone bad. Why go to retail stores, its usually expensive, you're surrounded by the general public and in general isn't fun.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Different thread really, but lockdowns have been shown to work. A number of countries have now eliminated Covid entirely thanks to lockdowns and social distancing.

14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I think even the directors are fighting a losing battle when it comes to saving bricks and mortar retail stores. Battling against changing demographics and consumer preferences is always pretty much a guaranteed loss.

It would be like having a DVD rental business in the midst of the massive growth of online streaming. You can’t really do much to save your business, short of changing what the business itself does entirely.

15. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    City centers are to dear with rates , taxes, no parking or if you find a spot cost a fukin fortune, bus lanes only, traffic wardens waiting to pounce like a rabid fox.I like Debenhams stuff and no problems about returns if you have your receipt.

King of Kings likes this.
  16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If M&S goes then that’s a definite sign of the end times. :fear: