1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

RYAN CHRISTIE came back to Celtic on a high following his heroics with Scotland.

Then left Easter Road on a LOW after his side dropped yet more points in this pivotal title race.

Sure, Neil Lennon’s side may have battled back from 2-0 down for what could yet be a valuable point.

But Christie’s frustrated demeanour said it all afterwards - this was another big opportunity missed for the Hoops.

And his mood wasn’t down to tiredness, although that would have been completely understandable.

Celtic have now gone to Pittodrie and Leith and scored FIVE times, yet haven’t won either game.

And Christie admits that’s a damning statistic which explains where they are right now.

He said: “We’ve come away from home here to a hard place and scored two goals – that should be enough to be honest.

“We’re NOT expecting to come here and have the game wrapped up after half an hour – we knew it might be a tight match, and that, if we have to win it by one goal, then that is fine.

“But we have to keep the door at the other end shut.

“It is something we need to work on – we have to stop the errors at the other end.”

Christie was desperate to display the same form he had shown with his country with his club.

But so, too, was Hibs keeper Ofir Marciano.

The 31-year-old had denied Scotland time and again in Netyana last Wednesday night.

And at Easter Road he kept Lennon’s side at bay in an even first half. That gave Jack Ross’ men the confidence to come out and push forward after the break.

And they moved in front in the 50th minute when Scott Brown barged over Martin Boyle in the box.

Scott Bain saved Kevin Nisbet’s penalty, but the men in black were slow to react.

And Jamie Murphy slid in to turn the rebound past Bain and claim his first goal for the club.

Celtic were suddenly reeling, and it got worse for them just before the hour.

Ex-Rangers winger Murphy headed on Ryan Porteous’ free-kick and Nisbet beat Bain with a beautiful finish.

At the other end Marciano was pulling off all kinds of stops from Odsonne Edouard in particular.

But Paul McGinn’s handball gave the Frenchman to pull on back from the spot.

And David Gray’s last minute clumsy foul on Diego Laxalt let them throw the ball into the area.

This time Marciano could do nothing as Laxalt smashed the ball past him to level the game.

And Christie reckons if his side had had a couple of more minutes they’d have gone on and won it.

He said: “At half-time I was thinking we had dominated the first half. I thought it was just a matter of time before we scored and went on to win.

“But then it went 2-0 to Hibs and I’m thinking ‘how on earth are we 2-0 down in this game?’

“It is frustrating. Obviously Bainy did so well to save the penalty but we didn’t really react to the follow-up, which is annoying.

“And then their second one is just so simple from a free-kick, and a great finish, but we could have done much more to stop it.

Stuff like that kills you in games like this when you are dominating at such a tough place.

“We are always going to keep fighting. We’ve got that about us in the changing room. I think more than anything, at 2-0 down, it was just the complete shock of it.

“But we knew we needed to get something out of this game because we deserved it. We deserved at least a point.

“The goal was inevitable coming from us, because we kept fighting.

“If the game had had an extra five minutes I think we would have gone on and won it.

But we shot ourselves in the foot – it was frustrating to find ourselves 2-0 down and having to claw our way back into it.”

It was a tough shift for Christie on the back of three performances for Steve Clarke’s side during the international break.

And although the 25-year-old understands Lennon’s concerns at how he was used he insists he felt fine.

He said: “Yeah, I think every manager with players away would be the same. It was the same with John McGinn at Villa and KT (Kieran Tierney) at Arsenal as well.

“The clubs are always going to have a wee moan when players are asked to play three games in a short space of time.

But for me personally, I want to rack up the caps so I’m certainly not going to complain about getting to play for my country as many times as I can.

“I still felt fresh on Saturday and managed to complete 90 minutes with no problems.

“The three games in seven days was tough especially after the celebrations of the first one.

“But I always want to play. It’s nice going away with Scotland and to be successful but you want to come back to club football and hit the ground running as well.

“I’m frustrated myself for not scoring against Hibs – I thought I might have been able to get on the score sheet but it wasn’t to be.

“I’m just looking to get up to top form with my club now.

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When he mentions the second goal he would do well to hold his hands up for his part in it along with Frimpong leaving the boy to head it on

Take a leaf out of Paul McGowan's book, I'd love it if one our players actually gave a post-match like he did at the weekend

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  3. StevieBhoooy!

Did his name come out the hat to take his turn with the ‘post Bollox-up’ match drivel?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  4. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    What the absolute * was that first corner about?

Marty McFly likes this.
  5. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Got to assume it’s something that’s been worked on on the training ground or instructed by the sideline. A definite breakdown of communication somewhere though. Atrocious.

6. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Why not just put a decent cross in and try and hit a team mate in the penalty box? because other teams seem to be able to do it

7. Dubliner1

This lad is programmed to hit the opponents head at the front post. How the * is he on set pieces? 3rd goal came from his inept attempted 2 crosses in a row

Brian Dunphy likes this.
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I can genuinely hit a better corner

9. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He gives his all for Scotland.

littlekennie likes this.
  10. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Its okay though because he will be signing for Real Madrid next summer, or is that just what Daddy tells him every night when he tucks him in?

RiquelmeCSC likes this.
  11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Week after week his delivery is woeful , why is he still on set pieces

RiquelmeCSC likes this.
  12. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Best of a bad bunch. Not like we have anyone better to step up.

13. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    how the * is this * always on our set pieces, when was the last time he got the ball past the first man? his corners are * pathetic.

DannybhoyCFC likes this.
  14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    10/10 for effort, delivery is * diabolical.

15. RiquelmeCSC

Daddy got in his ear too much. I’m not saying he is a bad player but he is believing his dads hype and not performing for Celtic.

littlekennie likes this.
  16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Would sell him tomorrow if it was up to me. Most annoying player at Celtic in a long time.
    No great surprise every team singles out our RB these days, he offers no protection whatsoever. Soon as Forrest is back and Christie rightfully takes his place on the bench the better.

17. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Set pieces ? This guy has struggled to get a shot on target all season apart fro when he played against Serbia and even that wasn’t hit cleanly needs to be sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Hes a good player but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    In the nuttiest of all nut shells.
    Said it for ages now, he needs dropped as well. Played out of position and his ego is massaged too much, he actually comes across on the pitch as if he believes he is the number one man at Celtic.
    So far from it.

20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Surely there is someone better at corners?
    We get 2 corners in first half, first one goes to halfway line, with the big guns in the box and we nearly cough up a goal. Second one hits first defender. Second half, does exactly same, hitting first defender.
    And, sad thing is, it will be copy and paste next game.
    Does some of our coaching staff not look at this and think ;hold on a minute"
    And its been going on for so many years now.