1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

Wonder what these players moods are like. I mean the first team players don't look settled, so these guys must be losing interest in the game man!

Peej likes this.
  2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He never really done anything deserving of being dropped although I think he missed a couple of games with injury but with him not being put back in, something seems weird about it. Wouldn't be surprised if he left in January and has been unable to settle, probably difficult coming here from Greece especially during this time where family and that can't really visit and you can't really leave your house to do anything.

Andybhoy93, Breathnach67 and Peej like this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Agreed, I fear the longer we stick by Lennon, the more chance we are going to see a mass exodus of players in January and the start of summer window.

Clear as day he has lost all respect from the players and they are not playing for him at all.
    And why should they, one simple look at the Barkas situation and how he is handling this is evident enough to * off Barkas.
    Think what he has done with the rest of them. Declaring half the time not match fit, when he doesnt play them to get match fit.

stew37 likes this.
  4. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Absolutely, everyone banging on about Lenny’s mental health. What about this guy? Brought in on a lofty price tag he couldn’t help. Probably came as a surprise to him that his, very decent, level of English wouldn’t suffice when trying to engage with the Scottish lads on the pitch. Has probably had unjust blame laid at his door by other players in the team too (I remember Brown roaring at him for tapping a free kick over the bar against Rangers because he thought it was going in) and Lennon has shunned him for weeks whilst having some certified donkey on goals over him, who has conceded twice as many goals as Barkas in less games. The guy will be on the first flight back to Greece in January If Lennon is still in the dugout and will probably go on to have a great career and won’t remember his time at our great club very fondly because of a certain person.

Peej likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON will hand Vasilis Barkas a second chance to be Celtic’s first-choice keeper.

And he is making big changes to help him settle in.

The under-fire Celts boss is expected to recall the Greek No 1 for the last-16 Betfred Cup clash with Ross County at Parkhead.

Scotland cap Scott Bain has been in goal since the £5million summer signing was injured late last month.

But the four goals Bain shipped against Sparta Prague on Thursday evening took his tally to 16 conceded in just seven games.

Lennon admits it’s not been easy for Barkas to join the Hoops during the Covid-19 crisis — but wants him to start showing his worth now.

He said: “I see this game as a chance to maybe make a few changes, but not too many. All positions will be considered.

“It’s been difficult for Barkas, as it has been for all the new players.

“He’s come from a different country and different climate into a different environment.

“He did okay, but he can do better and I think he knows that. He’s getting more accustomed to the tempo of the game, the physicality and what’s required of him.

“Whether I bring him in or not is irrelevant. I want to see an improvement in his body language and his functionality as a keeper.”

Lennon told SunSport about plans to build a new lounge at Celts’ Lennoxtown training base.

He hopes it can help players get to know each other better during a time when coronavirus rules are keeping them apart more than ever.

Lennon reckons Barkas is one who might have suffered from them not being able to mix as normal.

He added: “It’s certainly a very restricted environment away from the training ground.

“And even at the training ground there are restrictions in terms of the dressing rooms and being able to see each other.

“So it’s been difficult to get him involved and for them to really get to know each other because the way the world is split up.

“The only time you’re all together is for training, then you go home to an empty house.

Having spoken to Scott Brown about it, he definitely feels being unable to build camaraderie like we normally can is a factor.”

6. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Lets hope he does not have much to do tomorrow but still is able to show well in what he can do as we really need our whole back line to start functioning and performing.

7. gazb1888

I think Lennon should be sacked for signing Barkas for £5m alone never mind the hiding from Sevco and the humiliation in Europe so far this season..honestly can’t see him being a success here from what I’ve seen and not even Greece no.1 either

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It was hammonds recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mince.Charming and gazb1888 like this.
  9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He'll come good, he's clearly a good keeper low on co finance. Harshly treated by Lennon too compared to others.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  10. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    He’s not Greece’s number 1 because they have another extremely good goalkeeper in Vlachodimos...

Peej likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    they share the number one over the last few years, with another as well.

few good greek keepers coming through

Breathnach67 likes this.
  12. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Exactly, there’s a certain arrogance from folk up here towards footballing nations like Greece and Greek footballers in general. Forgetting that, even outwith their Euros victory in 2004, they’ve been a mainstay in international tournaments over the last 20 years. Have hit a bit of a snag of later but they have a strong squad.

13. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Barkas is quite good at play out of the back. He always seems calm and finds safe passes. The calmness may can be a bit of a problem when it comes to direct the box but generally it is very good for goalkeepers. Give him a year with Woods and he can learn how to command a defense. And maybe give him a proper defense because to command ours atm would be impossible even for Neuer.

14. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    I think his handling has looked good and he's always reading to start play quickly, I also think he's been made a bit of a scape goat, only thing to me anyway is he looks quiet and could do with coming out his shell to give orders to defender's.

15. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    I dont want to keep hammering the guy, but people slagging lennon for not putting him back in the team doesn't make sense, it's arguably one of the few things lennon has got right.

Barakas strength is hes good with the ball at his feet and can set us off quickly, from what I've seen (more so from his highlight reels, rather than even for his) he also seems to be good at closing the angles and blocking one on ones!! However he doesn't make saves, even in his highlight reels he barely makes a save you wouldn't expect, or worryingly for us, that scott bain couldn't make. Like bain he doesn't make howlers however on the evidence looks to also bang average at best.

16. Celticbhoy97

Can you imagine coming in from your home land to a country you’ve never worked in.. during a pandemic and playing with the defensive equivalent of paper mache in front of you

I’d look off the boil tbqh

17. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He was made a scape goat for a abysmal defence.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Him and Taylor

Pablo87 likes this.
  19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Stats actually show he is better than Bain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTG likes this.
  20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Imo he was taken out the limelight for a few games. He will come back in and be qaulity.