1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Aye brutal. So fed up with them saying things and thinking we will fall for it

JamesM09 and James like this.
  2. Mr. Slippyfist

At least the captain has the balls to say something that his manager can’t even bring himself to say...

Moore likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE idea that the Celtic players might not be entirely behind manager Neil Lennon, and are subsequently not giving their all on the pitch, is anathema to Scott Brown. The Celtic captain refutes the suggestion out of hand.

Rather, Brown says that the Celtic squad are united in their determination to safeguard Lennon’s position by getting their season back on track and deliver the sort of success to the club that has become the norm over the past nine campaigns.

“Everyone’s playing for the manager,” Brown said.

“We need to do it for the manager because he has been fantastic. He’s had a great playing career here, he’s had great success the first time as manager and he’s had great success so far the second time.

“We need to keep making sure we tick these boxes, keep making history as well.

“It’s a fantastic bunch of lads here. But we need to start doing our talking on the field.

“I think we’re all together. We’re 100 per cent behind the manager, as well, and I think the fans are with us.”

That last assertion may be one area of Brown’s argument that is on shaky ground, with The Green Brigade’s protest calling for the removal of Lennon yesterday hardly suggesting that everyone in the Celtic family is currently signing from the same hymnsheet when it comes to their manager.

“I think everyone is welcome to their own opinion,” Brown said. “Speaking to a lot of the fans out and about, they’re all behind us.

“Those are the fans we need to keep impressing and keep performing for, keep going out there and working extremely hard for.

“Everyone’s got an opinion they can put on Twitter or put on banners. Social media now is extremely harmful to teams if you lose a couple of points.

“We’ve got to be bigger, got to be better and focus on ourselves. We don’t worry about what’s happening outside – we just work hard on the park.

“Celtic’s a big club. We expect success. We need to make sure that we do it on the park.

“Everyone wants to put us down just now. The lads are sticking together through it.

“There have been a lot of tough times, a lot of great times. We’re working to get those great times back extremely quickly.

"We’re all strong enough to deal with the criticism, which is just part and parcel of football.

"It’s not always going to be nice and plain sailing. There are going to be up and down. We just focus on ourselves.

“Our fans have been fantastic over the 14 years that I’ve been here now. I’m sure once we get them back [into the stadium] they’ll be supporting us.”

Amid the hullabaloo surrounding the manager’s position, it has rather been lost that Celtic are drinking in the Europa League last-chance saloon tonight in Prague as they look to avenge the comprehensive Celtic Park defeat to Sparta which has left their qualification hopes dangling by a very thin thread.

Leigh Griffiths will be missing with a minor knee problem, but Christopher Jullien could make a return to action after a back injury. Brown wants whichever Celtic players go out on the pitch tonight though to ensure that both pride and his side’s slim chances of progression in the competition are maintained.

“We need a good performance and three points as well,” he said.

“It’s important that we stay together, work hard – and get the result we’re looking for.

“We need to go over there and make sure we get a win to try and keep our hopes alive in this group.

“It’s going to be extremely hard because they played really well here. We need to make sure go over there and focus on our game and perform really well.

‘We need to make sure that we keep proving the doubters wrong. We need to keep coming back. We’ve done it before, had nine fantastic seasons and we’re in a Scottish Cup Final, as well.

“We just need to make sure that now we start focusing on the Europa League as well – and we start winning games.”

Maestro 08 likes this.
  4. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Scott brown, in short wont admit it because a new manager might not play him.

5. Mince.Charming

You honestly think Brown would rather end his career in defeat as long as he gets game time ?

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Some people dont know when to quit. He would take another 3 year contract if offered and play every game. I have no doubt.

7. horseshoe

This is what worries me, if it's his ego that he can't see he isn't keeping up like he used to, or if he feels he needs to play to try and hold the team together as captain, it seems like he's pretty much going to keep playing til his legs fall off. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season he's clocked up more minutes than most of the squad, which would be ridiculous at 35, if Lennon isn't going to drop him ever you'd like to think he has the awareness himself to take a bit of a step back, or another established member of the squad would have the balls to have an honest conversation with him.

8. CountyDownFaithful

Leadership qualities and experience is undeniably important and required within a team.

But individuals with these qualities can't rely on this alone, they also need to play well and contribute to the team.

I think Brown is fair game for opponents, he's slow and can be outran or played around. His role in that midfield is to give it a defensive balance and I just don't see that from him anymore.

Go prove me wrong but I'd much rather see Soro get a run of games.

9. Pearse67*

Brown was completely finished a year ago ffs, completely hindering us now.
    If him and lennon cant see it they are mental!

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  10. Harry Caray

I cringe watching Brown speak to the media, just isn't a very good public speaker at all

11. Foley1888

The reason Lennon can’t see it is he too played beyond when he really should have. Browns best attributes was always his energy, work rate and drive. His leadership skills have also developed over the years.

However guys who tend to continue to perform well into there mid 30’s tend to be guys who are good on the ball and have a skill set that doesn’t rely on physicality. It has happened to better players than Browny and there is no shame in it, Patrick Viera is one who comes to mind when he went to Juventus.

Guys like Pirlo and Paul Scholes could do it because of their technical ability and passing.

For me it’s sad to watch a legend go out like this but we keep playing him. Hibs left him spare at the weekend knowing he would do nothing to hurt them and he is bypassed easily by anyone with any pace or physicality at all going the other way.

Hydrobhoy and johnno379 like this.
  12. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Been brutal again

johnno379 and neilly1987 like this.
  13. Dubliner1

You can blame him for their first goal. A total air swipe instead of connecting with the ball

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Looks completely done I'm afraid.

johnno379 likes this.
  15. brads-bhoy1888

Hate to say it but he’s completely finished

johnno379 likes this.
  16. Wizard of Oz

What exactly does he do?

17. brads-bhoy1888

Cost us goals and points unfortunately. He’s an absolute hero but his times up.

18. SkyeCelt

If Brown was a horse he'd be off to the glue factory.

19. CountyDownFaithful

Another legend that’s hindering the club right now. Miles off it. Posted pre-match that his leadership and experience isn’t enough anymore.

20. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Lennon’s too scared to drop him in case he loses whatever favour he has in the dressing room, he’s a waste of jersey.