1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Will we win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2020.

Discuss Will we win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TransferBhoy

The Board have decided to back Lenny and now every supporter should, whether we agree with the decision or not. It’s time to be positive

Below I outline reasons why we will still win the league:

- the know how. We have been there and done it unlike our rivals who I believe will begin to crack under the pressure once we build momentum

- results haven’t been great but the players have still battled to come back from behind. 1-0 and 2-1 down at Aberdeen and also 2-0 down with 15 remaining against Hibs

- January transfer window. Financial results weren’t the best, however, I do believe DD will provide funds to strengthen in January and this could be key. Rangers aren’t in a financial position to spend any money in Jan

- the squad is nearly at full strength for the first time this season, albeit James Forrest still missing for 6 weeks. Mikey Johnston is back in training and will be a key player for us in the coming months. His ability to beat defenders and his pace is something we have been missing lately

- Rangers have been fortunate so far with no injuries to key players and also the only team in the league not to be impacted by Covid. There isn’t a chance they can go through a full season with no injuries to key players

- rangers qualifying in Europe will benefit us. If Rangers top their group, they would likely qualify from the last 32 and be in the last 16 meaning they would be playing 4 games on Sunday, while we play the Saturday allowing us to add even more pressure

- the split. We will be due 3 home fixtures and also will have to play either Aberdeen or Hibs 3 times at home this season. On the other hand, Rangers will have to play Aberdeen or Hibs 3 times away

The 10 is still on and it’s time to back the team. We cannot afford this negative culture to continue.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thank *, yaaaasssssssssss

:62:

3. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Jesus H Christ. * blind is what you are.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I'll sleep tonight. 10 baby

:62:

5. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Threads merged.

TransferBhoy likes this.
  6. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    With Lennon in charge, not a hope in *.

With a manager with more professionalism and tactical nous, yes definitely, but it needs to happen now.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I hate to bring pessimism to an optimistic post but there are simple counter-arguments to every point you've made.

1. Reliance on our rivals failing rather than us succeeding is grim. It should be within our capabilities to win the League without crossing our fingers in hope at other results, we spend the most in wages.

2. We fought back from 1-0 down against Aberdeen to take a lead with minutes to go and couldn't see it out, the opposite of the mark of Champions. We also fought back to draw level with Hibs only to give them a glorious chance at the end that they should have scored to win the game, only for them to miss it. There's little pride and no resolve in this team.

3. January transfer signings won't change our fortunes under the current coaching team, we already have the best squad in the country by a distance yet more or less every team has given us a game this season. Ajeti cost £5m, Barkas £5m, Klimala £3m, Soro £2m all within the last 12 months and they've been left out/barely featured.

4. See 1 again. We've been impacted more by injuries and Covid cases than most but we should still have had a big enough squad to not let it impact us as much as it has. If Eddie and Christie played v the Huns would we have won the game? I doubt it.

5. We've lost more games at home this season than we have away. With no fans in the ground it seems to make little difference to our performances or results. Our playing surface looks atrocious for this time of year.

I'm normally a glass half full kind of guy but this post is putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Wee Baldy and Breathnach67 like this.
  8. Foley1888

I admire your optimism and really hope your right but what we are currently watching is seriously worrying.

Agree on the know how part but when we are going through this spell we need to stay close enough to them for any pressure to be applied. Right now we cannot win two games in a row to build any pressure Saturday was an excellent opportunity and we blew it.

On showing fight, the situation in those games also worries me much like the Milan and Sparta game, it’s as if the team get to a point and say stuff Lenny’s tactics let’s do our own thing and we suddenly up the tempo and look better. The negative of this is the frantic nature of that and the lack of any tactical discipline combined with a leaky defensive unit leaves us open to conceding basic goals. It also worries me about players actually playing for the manager.

I can’t see us doing that much in January unless we sell first (which I would be open too) but with no January break trying to implement new players and an actual system of how we want to play won’t be as easy as having 3 weeks to do so. They will no doubt take more loans from directors or make loan swoops for players, don’t kid on their financial position will hold them back from signing players.

On our squad Lennon doesn’t have a clue who our best team are and even with everyone bar Johnston/ Forrest fit we still have the same issues no good CDMs and no wingers, not to mention a misfiring talisman and our second top contributor from last year being ridiculously inconsistent and erratic.

On the lack of injuries they have been fortunate but we can’t rely on that luck running out. We need to make our own luck too and what we are delivering right now is why we are where we are because it is garbage.

For me we need a spark from somewhere and those currently holding the reigns ain’t got what it takes to provide it.

9. Conor tierney

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    We are in a very bad situation right now but I won’t give up hope. I called for Lennon sacking after ferencavaros but he’s not going anywhere anytime soon so I’ll just have to accept that. We can 100% turn this around you don’t win the amount cups we have won recently and not have the ability to comeback. The team really need to take a long look at themselves and comeback strong. The huns are going well no doubt but still a long way to go and one slip up by them and we all know their head goes in the bin and they’ll start bottling it. The game advantage is certainly doing us no favours and the fact they get an extra game in before we play them next is very tough

Fully87 likes this.
  10. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Bear in mind that @TransferBhoy's source has already told him how the rest of the season is gonna go. I think it's safe to say get the champagne on ice bhoys, Neil Tennon's bringing it home. YASSS

11. TransferBhoy

Mature as ever lad.

12. RiquelmeCSC

Your source got one transfer right and even at that we all knew he was coming at some point anyway. So really all he got right was the date.

Why do you assume your source has a clue what’s going on at the very highest level. Sorry that some people don’t share your optimism.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  13. TransferBhoy

Maybe my source has connections at the highest level....

And I don’t know how my source has any relevance to my post explaining my optimism that we will win the league?

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Sean has already summed it up well. Every point you make could easily be argued against.

Your first few for example...

The know how - Really means nothing right now. Even if the huns collapse, we are in no place to capitalise on it. Plus, it’s just a weird argument to make. Liverpool had never won the EPL before they ran away with it last season. If “know how” was a valid argument we’d win the title every year from now on.

We came back against Aberdeen then bottled it. We also threw away a 2-0 lead in Lille to draw the game. Against Milan and Sparta Prague we brought it back to 2-1 then collapsed and conceded more goals.

January window. We spent big in the summer and we’ve went backwards. So I have zero faith in the January window miraculously turning it around for us.

Fair play having optimism, but nothing you’ve said carries any weight at all.

15. TransferBhoy

It’s the know how in terms of dealing with the pressure. As I’ve said we will see how Rangers bottle is after January when they are playing Thursday Sunday and we are on the Saturday. Liverpool weren’t challenged and had the league pretty much wrapped up by January so they didn’t have to deal with any real pressure so I don’t see the comparison.

We could of quite easily caved against Aberdeen and Hibs when behind and we didn’t. We fought back and got a draw. There is no real shame in the collapse against Lille who are clearly a superior side to us.

January window at least gives us the chance to make amends and improve the squad. And I agree recruitment hasn’t been the best but it can be your pot luck at times. All it takes is 1 or 2 signings to galvanise the rest of the squad.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You don’t see the comparison? If our form and the huns form continues, the league will be done by January. That much is obvious.

You mention dealing with pressure. We’ve been under pressure all season, given the importance of this one, and look how we’re responding to it. The huns are under pressure to stop the 10 and they’re dealing with it pretty comfortably.

It’s all well and good looking back and drawing from the past. But it has no bearing on what’s happening right now.

17. TransferBhoy

Our firm will improve there’s no doubt about it.

Rangers have dealt with the pressure yes, but they’ve been fortunate in that they’ve not had any obstacles to overcome. We’ve have been blighted by injuries to key players and Covid to deal with.

The way I see it is we can’t play any worse than what we currently are, therefore things will improve. Rangers have played well so far but can they keep that consistency for the entire season? Personally I don’t think they can.

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Well, there is a doubt. More than a doubt.

We’ve been * all season and there’s absolutely nothing to suggest we’ll get better until the manager is removed. Which isn’t likely to happen any time soon.

19. Mr. Slippyfist

You say they won't improve, or their bottle will collapse. Where's the proof?

You also say our form will get better? Will it?

You also say it can't get any worse, of course it can get * worse! We have to play them on their own patch in January - we are massive underdogs.

And lastly, everyone has had covid to deal with, so dinnae talk pish...

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  20. DonnyCelt

Now the board have apparently decided to back Lennon, any glimmer of hope that we can or will win the league and the 10 this season is gone I think.

Would've been a long shot had we changed I reckon but for me that's now it.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.