1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CountyDownFaithful

The board are responsible for the overall running of the club.

Our biggest rivals went to the wall and reappeared as a 4th division team.

Under their leadership they’ve allowed they * to come back, compete with us and take over as it stands. We were regularly hammering they * 4/5-0 a couple of seasons ago. They were always going to get better but there’s no way they should have closed the gap this quickly.

It’s negligible, reckless, unforgivable. Lennon needs to go but we wouldn’t have been in this situation if it wasn’t for the Board replacing Rodgers with the cheap option.

2. john2061

It's the board's * fault when they see what we see and nothing is getting done about it .
    Two wins in eight games and umpteen goals conceded as well and the board sit on their * hands .
    Mr Desmond must put his personal feelings aside for Lennon and do what's best for Celtic and if in a week's time Lennon is still here then Desmond must carry the can for it and his position must be looked at as well .

Sonic Reducer likes this.
  3. DonnyCelt

My gripe with Desmond is his seemingly apparent philosophy of "He's Irish so he's the best man for the job"

Yes that case proved true with Rodgers but he's wanted Keane as his preferred choice numerous times even though his record as a manager is dogshit.

And him to be so oblivious to how the team is performing under Lennon has become farcical.

And before anyone starts no thats not a dig at the Irish. Just my observation of Desmonds managerial preference. Proud as * with my Irish roots.

4. PaddyBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Joos Valgaeren
    Desmond needs to get Rafa Benitez. Hes out of work, desmond has the money and has bankrolled high wages before. He needs to step in and save the season.

I cannot believe Lennon is still here.

5. CountyDownFaithful

If it wasn’t for stadium closures there is no doubting that there would be protests.

And to be honest I wish there was. We need to get Lennon out ASAP. I think the league is over as it stands but there is still a small amount of hope for a new manager to work with.

Peej likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Small amount of hope, but under the current setup and how things are going, we have 5 league games in December that I am only hopeful of winning 2.
    Dundee United, killmarnock, at Johnston I actually worry about us under the current setup.

Criminal to let this go any further.
    The board dont act now and we continue as is, they will be (finally) hounded out as well.

Enough of us accept the cheap option when they tie it up in a bow of sentimental *, but it's a whole different thing when the board persist with it when it is going this badly.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  7. john2061

The league is far from over with two games in hand and a defeat and a draw by the zombies brings it level pegging again
    But we won't win the league with Lennon in charge and the change must be done in the next day or two and I bet you see a different attitude from the players if a new manager comes in .

cat123 and Henke102 like this.
  8. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    It's unbelievable how a club of our size is run football wise. The appointement of Lennon absolutely amateurish, they didn't even consider other managers. They had no vision at all just wanted a cheap solution. Gladly for them lots of supporters were to naive thanks to the "Celtic man" and "he knows the city" platitudes. We luckily won the cup and I already then had a bad feeling that this poor performance still was enough to get Lennon the job. I'm disgusted by the lack of professionalism by our board and the other managing staff outside football. They obviously have no knowledge or valuable experience in the industry. No surprise they appoint a manager who is as unprofessional. A fish rots from the head down so the only way this attitude will stop at our club is by a new ownership.

9. ddub11

Cant blame the board for huns revival.

They were always going to come back and there is only so far we can pull away giving the lack of finances /attracting players.

Yes we were miles ahead of them but they were always going to cruise through the lesser leagues and once they got back in the premier it was only a matter of time before they became a threat.

Our finances are better than theirs but to be honest imo the board have backed lenny and he brought in plenty of new faces but as a manager he has failed to utilise his resources.

As it stands i say the board should take some responsibility for this mess in appointing lenny but not with how the huns are doing their revival,the speed at which they returned is simply down to how they managed the situation they were in and nothing to do with celtic.

10. dmccourt95

The club is run horribly and has been even during the 9 in a row period, we’ve lost out on 200 mill worth of champions league revenue by a total lack of preparation and terrible recruitment leading to 6 failed attempts in 10 years when we’ve been seeded every time and up against sides with a fraction of our budget. The jobs for the bhoys approach has led to us being totally outthought tactically by rangers in the last 4 games against them and they are now ahead of us both at senior and youth level (just look at the last few Scotland under 21 squads).

The worst thing is when Lennon and Lawell are eventually sacked or step down they’ll be replaced with similar guys who are small time in their thinking and perform mediocre at best

Raoul Duke likes this.
  11. CountyDownFaithful

Totally disagree.

The board run the club. They are the architects of our downfall. They replaced a manager of Rodgers calibre with a man who was sacked in his two previous jobs.

Lennon’s appointment along with poor recruitment during Rodgers era is the two main reasons that have led to this current situation. Rodgers made it clear that we missed target after target. That’s why the squad was a mess when Lenny came in.

cat123 likes this.
  12. Stevie6767

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Sean South
    If the board don't sack Lennon and bring in a quality replacement then losing 10iar will be on them, despite them backing lennon in the transfer window.

The league is still there to be won, and if the board do their job we can turn things around. Especially with the run of games we have coming up.

13. ddub11

Mate i did say the board must take some responsibility for this mess with their appointing lenny .

14. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    No we can't blame the board for the Huns revival. But we can for our demise. The boards influence doesn't just involve the spreadsheets and financial reports

We got our fingers burnt with Rodgers and the board took a decision to run 10 mile in the opposite direction. Appointed a manager without considering any other options. That on its own is an astounding lack of process and judgement for any business to take.

We have spent every Champions League qualifier for the last 5 years or more, trying to get bye with what we have. Eoghan O'Connell and Toure and other instances of so on. The amount of time it takes to get transfers done, for what they continue to tell us is " A Champions League Club"

What is our long-term strategy? Are we going to continue to buy and sell for bigger returns?

Are we going to chop and change our strategy and set up for every manager to decide?

What about the youth set-up? We've lost 2 boys in the last 2 seasons before they've even reached the First Team squad. On the latter, we seem to be producing enough.

For me, we have stood still on far too many things over the years. From a position of strength, we haven't done anywhere near enough to address these themes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  15. ddub11

My post was about how the board were not responsible for the huns progress.

I agree with many points you make but i dont think any of that effects how the hun went about their business ie.getting back to the premier league and competing.

As i said i agree with some of your points and imo the biggest mistake they made was going cheap and appointing lenny.

16. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Instead of looking to have a Celtic man as the manager, the board should be filled with Celtic men. Starting with the CEO.

oh bhoy likes this.
  17. celtic warrior

Joke.

In hindsight as well, this seasons transfers have been largely a waste of money which will mean January is going to be the worst in decades.

Covid or no, there is zero excuse for being in this state at all, none.

We should be 11 points ahead of the competition not behind it.

Pathetic. For a board as well that likes to milk fans for any novelty idea they can, they are risking the biggest drop in profits by showing serious lack of ambition this season for the 10, if we don't secure it, in today's climate where we are by far and away the best and richest club in the league then all * will break loose.

18. john2061

What's more maddening is the zombies are on their knees with nearly 16 million in debt and we are going to hand them a lifeline by handing them the league on a plate with the board's inaction to sack Lennon .
    We have had months now of poor results and lack of game plan and tactics from the manager and does the board think Tinkerbell is going to visit Lennon and wave her magic wand and turn Lennon into Klopp .

cat123 and Peej like this.
  19. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Come on Dermot. Lets get another Irishman in to sort this. Irishman or Strachan, thats the way we roll now, ya twisty moustache *. Scunnered

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I was happy with their backing over the summer.

However now the ball is back in their court. They need to act. Desmond acted after the cup semi final, this all has a similar feel.

My concern is that we need a complete overhaul in every way and I hope we realise that soon. But right now we just need a change in manager and some fresh ideas at that level.

Sort things and revisit in the summer. As easy as that.

Peej likes this.