1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. green-yin

Fair play lad, you've probably put more effort and thought into that than lawwell has.

2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    He has over a year on his contract so compensation would need to be paid, so not just his wages being a stumbling block.

We are a huge club but there is a caveat with that in that we are in a very small league, that doesn't mean I am dismissive of our club but it is again another stumbling block.

I'm all for asking the question to the top level managers but the likelihood of it happening is extremely low.

At best we could offer 50k, 1/5 of his current earnings. That isn't a stumbling block that makes it a no go

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    im not for keane to get the job. Id rather someone else. But i could see him doing a good job with us, with the right board. It wont happen anyway.

4. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    If we do get a half decent manager I hope he brings a decent backroom staff along with him and we get rid of the driftwood we currently have. I would like to see someone like Marco Silva or maybe one of the more exciting young managers plying their trade in the English Championship like Daniel Farke, Dean Holden Jason Tindal etc. brought in. Unfortunately, Peter Lawell and the rest of the Board would be looking for a compliant yes type manager and not a Brendon Rodgers type manager who would demand full control over all the footballing side of things including recruitment etc.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Years ago, for sure. Think around the Mowbray and first Lennon times was best chance of getting him in.
    Since then, West Ham and the English bubble may have took his eyes off us.
    Currently at WBA.

Great season last season, shocking run this one though.
    18-19 he was at Al-Ittihad where he came in during the season to fix the mess they was in, started poor with 1 win in 11 from 27th September till the new year. Then he found form and won 2 and drew 3, best run they had all season, and was sacked for a defeat at home in Feb.
    West Ham he came 7th and 11th, with qualifying rounds in Europa. Fair results on the whole, considering mid table EPL side is what they are.
    Poor start to his 3rd season, sacked early on for Moyes.

As with Silva, I will not harshly judge managers (or players) playing for yo-yo or mid table English clubs, it's just a * up league to judge real success and real talent unless you are the top 6 teams.

His two Besiktas seasons he came 3rd both times, making CL qualfiers behind both Fenerbache and Galatasaray - fair on him.

Loko Moscow he came 9th in his season there, his first real club team. Tough break, scattered results with no real run of form.

Euro 2008 he topped their group with Germand, Austria and Poland.
    Turkey knocked them out in the QF on pen.
    2010 world cup 3rd in their qualifiers behind England and Ukraine, not terrible. But meant they didn't make the finals.
    2012 Euros, 3rd place behind Italy and Spain, hard group, got a win and a draw, could have been enough if Ireland took something off someone else.

He's a fair shout, just think he hasn't quite lived up to his potential, but I would take him if other options not available.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think Eddie Howe is the most likely candidate, we wont spend money to get a manager in from another team.

7. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I'd take Si Ferry and Paul Slane at this rate.

8. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He’s not the only Celtic player to look bang average this season though is he? The same argument can be made about all the players out there - and they were having a huge impact in games until this season - question is, what’s changed?

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  9. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

You’ve sold me on Laurent Blanc mate. Good work there with that post. :50:

Peej likes this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Was hoping to sell folk on van Bommel and Silva, but I'll take Blanc.
    Defo think he is in the higher reaches of managers and out of budget, but worth asking. Alternative is he isn't getting any budget at all - if he is still wanting to be in management of course.

van Bommel would most certainly be in our budget, between Lennon and Rodgers.

packybhoy likes this.
  11. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

* could you imagine? Ferry would be spending all his time trying to get Slaney off the * flag poles. Could see Slane in that fur coat. :56:

ThatBhoyLarsson and KRS-1888 like this.
  12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

I know Blanc would be the expensive option but probably work in our budget. You say he hasn’t been in management for four years and I would see Celtic as a pull to get him back into it and would be decent on his CV. Maybe he hasn’t worked through choice but we could definitely sound him out and a rolling contract might be the deal breaker.

Peej likes this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Laurent Blanc is an interesting one.

14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    no i totally agree, everyone is mediocre at best atm. Id say Laxalt is the only one who is coming away with pass marks tbh.

but with mcgregor, i dont even think his scotland form has ever been constantly impressive. Mcgregor for me, flatters to deceive at times. I do rate him and everyone knows what he is capable of, but iv never looked at him with the same reverence as many. I just think a player of his quality should be impacting games more every week. And i know thats hard to do, but thats the difference between good and great.

DennyCelt likes this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    involved in a racism controversy when it was found that they were trying to keep the numbers of black and african players they were calling up to the french national team.

He was respected as a manager until then, but i wouldnt want someone with that black mark against their name near our club.

16. DennyCelt Free Palestine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shunsuke Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I totally agree, but his statistics even last year were, honestly, great. He was 1st in the league for almost every midfield metric, creatively and otherwise, despite playing more football than any other player (I’m sure?) in the world. No one has that level of downfall so fast for no reason, and I think the fact he’s not alone points to something way more worrying, the problem isn’t with the individual players but higher up

G_portillo likes this.
  17. Sgt Neppers*

My option is Mark Van Bommel. A progressive, forward thinking coach, who can motivate, inspire and support youngsters improvement. Sounds like he's in to fitness also. He'll look to play on the front foot and press properly.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Van Bommell again is an interesting one.

However I'd like someone with a bit more experience. Who ever would come in is gonna need some serious baws.

19. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mentioned Blanc earlier in the Lennon thread - He’d be my pick.

packybhoy likes this.
  20. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He was cleared of that allegation.