1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Reductio ad Hitlerum

2. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Im not sure it really matters that it hasn’t been many games, for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

If you sign a young player then of course you give them time to settle in, take them out of the firing line if they’re struggling, and aim to bring them back in later, give them time to turn it Around etc. With someone who is simply here on loan though, it makes absolutely no sense to do the same.

If you look at our recent loan strategy, in almost all cases it tends to be a young highly rated player than we have a chance of signing permanently once the deal is finished, or a player that is outside of our price range and is an immediate upgrade on why we have. Duffy isn’t either of those for me.

3. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Correct!

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was he that bad?

No seen any of it bar some tweets saying he cost a couple goals..

5. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He should have done better for the 1st goal. I wouldn't blame him for the others. There was a moment later he seemed to let the young boy breeze past him but no goal from it. I only watched the highlights on YouTube.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  6. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think he needs a bit of a break and just to train and get some fitness back...although i think in some games, a lot of the squad have looked like they're lacking fitness.

7. mayo

He won Brighton and Ireland’s player of the year 2 years back. Only 28, there is a player there that can be very useful for us I still believe. I think no proper preseason, his fathers passing this summer and Celtic’s style of play not suiting him hasn’t helped. He’s not a first 11 but games like Aberdeen at Hampden and Motherwell away he’ll come in handy when teams are throwing everything and anything into the box coming off the bench. Hopefully now we drop him and he can rebuild some fitness and confidence and get used to the way we play. No doubt it’s killing him his form at the minute. He’s one of us. For what he’s given too my country I would love nothing more for him to prove the doubters wrong and lift the ten. Chin up big man.

Random Review and Dubliner1 like this.
  8. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm wiping the slate clean during this international break.

Mon big man :50:

eire4 and Random Review like this.
  9. celtic warrior

* this dud.

He's not a prospect who needs time he's a fully fledged, Irish international with plenty of experience, if he needs any more time to get match fit/sharp when he's played how many games since coming here for Celtic and ROI then he's nothing but a complete waste of a wage send him home in Jan and get someone else in.

10. wulliebad

He needs rested for a while,let him go and clear his head and just train for a few weeks and when the team has maybe put a run of wins together and closed the gap and there is slightly less pressure bring him back into the squad.
    Having said all that we might not have a choice if covid * up our players away with their countries.One of the players in the Norway squad has tested positive,might force ajer and Mo into isolation.

11. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Ollie mcburnie plays in that league

jocksteinupper and Wee Baldy like this.
  12. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    More than once, Duffy is running low on confidence at the moment. He was destroyed aerially by Maguire throughout the game and he was switched off him when long came on. He also was slow to close the space that led to the second goal and randolphade a save from a Maguire header in between that. I feel sorry for him as I don't think it's a lack of effort it's just he can't get a bit of form. Up until last season at Brighton and this season at Ireland the teams he played in teams that all he had to do was defend deep and defend alone. Now he is playing in two teams where he is expected to play it out from the back.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

He has had some really awful moments for us; but equally he has had moments where he has shown glimpses of what he might bring (e.g. goals, dominating headers and some really good blocks).

The jury is very much still out, but his effort's not in doubt so why some of us are just so keen to write him off is mystifying. I honestly do think we do this far too much with Irish and Scottish boys.

It's interesting to compare the very similar amount of stick Duffy and Ntcham get. Ntcham had to underperform for years and occasionally show a lack of effort that Duffy never has to reach the same level of criticism from us.

Ciaran_67 and mayo like this.
  14. wulliebad

Mistakes for goals are always the worst because of the end result,look at our keepers and the abuse they are getting.If Ntcham was playing every week and costing us goals he would get the same abuse. I remember what it was like when EFE was at his worst,he got abused and he had to play in front of fans. But it being the 10 season also does not help,no one at the club is safe this year.

15. R u n e

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He IS a player. I'm absolutely convinced he will come good. He's a quality player.

eire4 likes this.
  16. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I think a big part of the criticism derives from the fact that most of his mistakes have been punished/resulted in a goal. That’s what, ultimately, keeps them fresh in the mind of folk. But he’s also actually done well at stages as well - there’s a lack of balance probably.

Put it this way, if every Ajer and Jullien mistake from last season was capitalised on then, oh dear... Ajer selling the jerseys to Morelos in that final for example :43: Wow.

Did Forster bail them out more than a few times last season?

Folk also seem to forget El Hamed cost us two vital goals in two consecutive CL campaigns, but there seems to be a lot more trust there for him to shore it all up..

For the record, I actually think Ajer, Jullien, Duffy and El Hamed are actually good players.

Just a bit of balance..

Dubliner1 likes this.
  17. Dubliner1

Excellent post

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

I think thats being very very generous. Ajer, Jullien and El Hamed earned trust by putting in solid performances so if they make a mistake it's just one of those things but they're not making them consistently. Duffy has not earned that trust yet and is consistently making errors. He has to be dropped now there is no point just hoping he will eventually come good when his performances if anything are getting worse game on game

19. wulliebad

The problem with duffy is its game after game after game,he has lost us something like a goal a game for 5 or 6 games. It's been really bad luck he has been here such a short time and nothing but mistakes.All the other players you talk about have been here for a while and they have had howlers but they have also had more than a few good games to help offset their errors.Duffy has not had any luck other than bad so far.
    I fear if lenny does not give him a break it will continue.

20. Goggzy60

He's simply not suited to our style off play.

It would be like us signing Sam Vokes just doesn't suit our play.