1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Manager Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by CountyDownFaithful, Nov 5, 2020.

Discuss Potential Manager Suggestions? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I know you don't mean it to, but that comes across so defeatist and accepting of the mediocre crap we are being fed at this club now.

There is hundreds, if not thousands, of managers between Lennon and Benitez. Some attainable, some not attainable, for various reasons that would be too many to list off for each individual manager to be suggested.

Bottom line is, Lennon and managers in his bracket - Legitimately he is on a par with a McInnes, Ross, Mowbray - are simply not good enough. We have proven what benefits a modern day manager/coach can bring, be it Rodgers and the transformation of the club, or a coach like Duff. They bring a certain level of professionalism which just in itself can help this core group of players.

We won't be signing managers of the stature of Rodgers every time, or chasing Benitez, Jose etc, which is just pipe dream stuff, but we most certainly can do much much much better than Lennon and the names being banded about every few years.

It's on the board to go out and find this sort of coach and get them here. It may cost them £3million a year, rather than the 500-1million that Deila and Lennon costs, but the benefits are night and day.

We went from a turnover (okay I am on a tangent now, sorry this is way off point from your reply bud) of £54million under Deila, no fault to his, but it was on the back of Lennon and signing Deila as an underwhelming coach (I have a lot of time for him and feel he got dealt a bad hand here) to a turnover of £102million with Rodgers coming in. We are now back down to £70million, and if this keeps up £60million next season (Covid or not, the revenue will fall).
    Surely spending £3million on a good coach, maybe even £5million on a entirely better backroom setup, is much more beneficial to us long term?
    This is on the board now to step up and make this change, otherwise they stick with Lennon much longer and we do irreparable damage to this season and watch as the revenue drops further still.

2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Rodgers was a bit of a stroke of luck at the time because he was out of work and in a position whereby no club in the top 7 in England would touch him. He was seen as damaged goods at the time because it ended in quite an ugly fashion at Liverpool i.e. the 6-1 against Stoke and Sterling leaving. He needed the platform we gave him. I just hope he never forgets that. Benitez would've been attainable in June 2019, he surely would've been and I reckon he'd have been up for it. Imagine European nights with Rafa! I still don't think it's a long shot to get Rafa or someone of his ilk in the summer, he's had a massive payday in China and has voiced his wish to come back to Europe. My cry to DD and co is that if you don't knock the door you won't get an answer.

3. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I think you are absolutely spot on....throw in an unattractive League on top of all that and it's a huge ask.

The only way we change the management is by taking a massive gamble and is this the season to be doing that !

Huns have gambled thrice now and it may well be third time lucky for them.

Dannybhoy81 likes this.
  4. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I don't agree with those saying Lenny was the cheap option. I dare say bringing in someone in the mould of Ronny, that has won leagues from somewhere like Scandanavia/Eastern Europe would actually have been a fair bit cheaper. To me his appointment was the lazy option. No need to search for prospective candidates, check CVs, have interviews, go over their ideas and plans for the club, talk about the backroom staff they would need, have financial discussions and the like. Basically it saved Lawwell a load of hassle, I'm not sure it would have saved much money.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  5. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Was Deila on more money than Lennon is right now? By the way, I absolutely do not want another Deila-type manager right now.

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I appreciate that it can appear defeatist and an acceptance of mediocrity, I'm definitely not a defeatist or accept mediocrity for Celtic and I appreciate your understanding that was not what I meant.

There will be 100's and possibly 1000's of managers that are a level above Lenny but we need to try and find the marco rose before he gets the job at salzburg and that is much harder in practice than it is suggested on here by some, as if its easily done.

Right now Lenny is not good enough and at the latest, he needs to be gone at the end of the season. ross, mcinnes etc are there or there abouts with Lenny's level but it is easy to be the critic without offering a solution, anyone can do that. Which is part of my point, it's all ok saying get Lenny out but for who? A high % of us in here thought Duffy was a solution, now we are desperate for our cb pairing from last season.

Agree that a modern manager would benefit the club but it costs more than £3m to fund that, they will want their own backroom team, plus at least £20m-£30m for transfers, which could, to be fair be offset with a few sales in jan/summer. Then they leave and rip the whole backroom team away and we are at scratch again. Fail to make the champions league and we are in financial *.

Your points on turnover are valid but our expenses would increase as well but no doubt with a better manager we should see more success but isn't guaranteed.

I don't believe another Rodgers is possible right now, he came us partly because it was an opportunity to get back on track in a career sense but because he did have some affinty with is and was a fan, maybe not as much of a fan as some would have liked but still a fan. I don't see any other viable option at that level.

I'm all for going for the best we could get and that is the point here, who is the best we could get? I genuinely don't know and I don't think many on here do, yet most appear to think any change would be better but until a credible name is mentioned I think we should stick with what we have. Until could be within the next week or 2, as soon as a better manager is available we should change.

I know some will pass the buck and say it's the boards job to hire. Well if that's true its the boards job to fire. Only offering an opinion on one side is hyper critical to me and offers this forum nothing, we can all be critical.
    Although I'm trying to respond to your points I'm not aiming anything at you specifically more of a general view of this place recently

charlietully and Peej like this.
  7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Honestly, I don't know, but I would be astounded if he were. I've heard figures of Lenny being on around £1m a year, where I vaguely recall hearing Deila was around £300k-£500k, but those numbers are absolute speculation as I don't ever recall seeing anything definite.

And I wasn't suggesting we go for that type of manager now, it was more to point out if we had just gone for the "cheap option" that's the kind of route I think it would have went, rather than to appoint Lenny. It's just a long winded way of saying Lenny wasn't, in my opinion, the cheap option, as some claim, just the easy one.

And we absolutely cannot afford to go for the easy option again, like a Strachan would be, this time. We have to make sure it's the right fit for the job. Someone capable of managing a large squad, on multiple fronts, with a winning mentality and progressive ideas on tactics, sports science and player development that can be implemented right throughout the club. But we should have done that over a year ago, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  8. celtic warrior

There is some wiggle room here if the board actually gave a * about the club to let Lennon go and not feel too pressed about getting the new guy in because of mid week games.

The board should always have a list, a tab of sorts, of guys they'd consider approaching for the role - I'd find it insane of they didn't, football is a harsh, cruel Mistress they should already know who'd they approach for the role.

That may not mean those they have in mind are guys we as fans would except as they'd likely have guys like Keane, Ross, Clark, Kennedy, Duff and then guys down in the championship like Monk, Farke, * * I'd not be shocked if Neil Harris was on the list.

Bottom line is, everything at the club needs an overhaul, absolutely everything, it all feels stale, scouting is pish, training under current staff is pish, our physio and injury records are pish literally everything feels like it's stuck in 2014 and it all needs destroying

Wee Baldy and Breathnach67 like this.
  9. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I agree with you on Rodgers but I'm not sure benitez would go for it. I think there would be clubs in the big league that would trump us.
    Definitely need to be chapping the door and asking the question though.
    Start at the top floor and work our way down, I just worry about what floor we end up getting off at, could be the basement.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Dude, our manager doesn't even rewatch the games the squad just played, good or bad.
    This board literally offered the job to this man in a shower and publicly stated they never even looked at any of the applications for the job.

I honestly do no find it shocking to assume they do not have an ongoing list of managers/coaches that they would chase if the inevitable happens.

Wee Baldy and celtic warrior like this.
  11. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    they won’t have a list because they know there is absolutely no chance of Lenny walking of his own free will. I.e. Lenny is here for the long haul so there’s no need to look at any alternatives.

Peej likes this.
  12. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Taking away the question of should we replace lennon now.

And look who the bookies have as favourites for the job.

Howe, WGS, moyes, keane, clarke, kennedy, larsson, Maloney, Lambert etc

Moyes wont leave WHU and Clarke has hands full with Scotland, the rest bar Howe arent good enough.

Any manager will come from left field, but its not going to happen to end of the season

13. celtic warrior

Probably true in fairness, which goes back to my point, everything needs destroying.

Lennon talks about culture change with the players, the entire * club and all of its employees, directors, shareholders need a * culture change.

Peej likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sadly, true.
    The board had their chance to do the right thing after Thursday.
    They won't now, not after Motherwell game and during a break.
    We will likely win on the return and that will save him for the rest of 2020. Which will make it too late.

For me, this point in the season is the best chance, any later now and its *.

King of Kings and Breathnach67 like this.
  15. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Yep, I’m the same. Feel that last Friday morning was a literal case of “now or never”.

Peej likes this.
  16. celtic warrior

Never mind any patter about new mangers btw.

I'm already sweating about these farcical internationals now, I swear if anything happens with injuries or covid, I'm officially writing this season off as I don't have the mental strength for all of it.

Peej likes this.
  17. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

If Lennon is complaining about a "culture" at the club regarding the players then he only has himself to blame as he must have allowed it to happen. He gained a group of players and a very successful professional model from fraudgers that he stuck with until the season finished. Then when given the job full time instilled his own ethics and system and personality on almost the same players and it's going wrong. Personally think that Lennon is very outdated in footballing terms and the board,as others have said, took the easiest,cheapest,safest option when handing him the job.

Wee Baldy and Peej like this.
  18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

This is my point: he's not even here and you're already criticising him. :56:

19. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I know we would all love to still believe our club is still a top European side it but, sadly, it isn't now. The majority of decent managers see Scotland as some sort of footballing backwater and, unfortunately, both our European results and the national teams qualifying results over the last few years hasn't helped. I would love another marquee type manager signing to win the 10 and turn things around but, unless our board offer mega bucks (which they won't) it looks like we will have to stick with Lennon or get the usual suspects i.e. Coyle, Ross, Clarke etc.

20. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Id have a go at getting someone like the Norwich manager. Hes obviously used to a small budget, but got them playing attractive football.
    With the prospect of European football, and getting a higher profile, may be an option.

littlekennie and Wee Baldy like this.