1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We'll continue to play Duffy who has shown he isn't what we need. At this moment in time I don't think he is better than Welsh. So why not play the boy, get him experience and maybe just maybe he will flourish, improve massively and develop into a star. We will continue to * about with the midfield ie. overplay underperforming players such as Brown,Mcgregor and N'tcham while all the while ignoring possible talents like Turnbull,Connell and Soro. We will do likewise with our four strikers to the point where it will be too late to forge good partnerships. We may well go on a winning run, we may well go on and win the league, but my own personal feeling is the joy of supporting us was sucked right out of me when they appointed Neil Lennon.

Free the Adblock and Wee Baldy like this.
  2. Mince.Charming

You're probably right. Ive seen us in these sort of positions before in his first and second season and we always turned things around.
    Granted t's a different squad of players. I think our fans have been spoiled with winning the league relatively easy the past 9 years. They can't handle being 3 points behind the huns.
    There's proof that this squad can win things with this Manager. Imo bringing someone else in is a bigger gamble.

Sean Daleer and cat123 like this.
  3. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Doubtful they’re all just intentionally playing bad or not putting in the effort.

In any walk of life, a group, team or family dynamic can shift to the negative gradually or instantly depending on a raft of factors.

This part isn’t directed at your comment, but its binary for anyone to say they’re professional players, this shouldn’t happen, or when they pull on the shirt they have a responsibility to the club and fans to step up.

The same situation applies in a regular job or family life, if the dynamic has deteriorated to a certain point, everyone in that collective loses motivation to enjoy what they are part of.

In personal lives when things aren’t great, friends or family can just mull along or worse, relationships fracture. I’m sure we’ve all experienced both, instant situations that cause this and also a gradual deterioration that one day creeps up on you until you realise, why are we not as happy or interested as we all once were.

Ive seen the same in places of work. Managers with bad attitudes or unrealistic expectations even on one employee can actually have a detrimental effect on the whole group. Even as simple as one employee constantly bringing down the mood. People leave jobs for less but during this, the dynamic suffers.

At a football club it’s not much different I’m afraid, they’re all human and it’s subjective. We don’t really know the current state of the club dynamic but what we can see is indicators that there are major issues.

Two obvious ones are inconsistent player performances and inconsistent manager communications - both are stark, and raw emotion is obvious. There’s incredible anger, disappointment and clearly demotivation.

I know some might thing tldr or Jesus, trying to assimilate family life with Celtic football. However, sometimes everyone needs a fresh start and at a football club, you can’t get rid of all the players and keep the manager.

Is it quite as bad as all that? Well, at one point perhaps not. Every dynamic can be managed, you can’t please everyone all the time but you can keep the scales balanced at the very least and keep trying to tip it to the positive. That’s clearly long passed though. The rift is too deep, it’s too obvious and it’s too public. Everyone on the outside looking in can see it, that includes us as fans and extending out to the wider footballing community.

It’s a depressing read but it’s frankly a * depressing situation and it pains all the more it’s Lennon. A person we’ve had in our lives for a long long time.

Keano88, Wee Baldy and littlekennie like this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Do you seriously believe that’s the only problem? If you do then you clearly aren’t paying attention.

Personally, and I’m sure I speak for most fans right now, much of this desire to see Lennon punted is down to the fairly regular humiliations in Europe. That’s Cluj, Copenhagen, Ferencvaros and Sparta Prague all came to Celtic Park in the last 15 months and won.

Then we have the fact an average huns squad has outplayed us in the last 3 games, beating us twice at Celtic Park.

Then that brings us to this season in general so far, where we’ve probably played about 270 minutes of good football in 20 matches.

5. Bonobhoy

If Lennons tactics are wrong along with subs,this doesnt mean you down tools as a player and deliberatly play *.

Players in that team can play 100 times better than they should be,not doing this is just not because of the subs and tactics,you cant blame lennon for not doing basic defending or hacking down players in a box,thats just basics,you dont automatically loose this.

When Lennon goes,players will be outed and i also want them out or club,they are just as bad as the manager. As much as fans hate Lennon just now and blame him for everything,the basics with the players are also under scrutiny.

There is about 5 off the bat i want out this club along with Lennon and the background staff now.

Gabriel likes this.
  6. wulliebad

We can and we would but lenny has to make the changes,we all know there is problems with the first 11 yet lenny refuses to stop making mistakes.
    duffy,eddy need dropped.Brown needs to play half the mins per week lenny is asking him to play,we have to stop forcing someone other than a striker to play up front and go back to griff and eddy or griff and ajeti.
    If eddy form is still rotten when he gets a 2nd striker up front then drop him and go ajeti and griff up front for the next 5 games,let them build something and we will get back in the goals.

7. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Its not just about running though. Its about maintaining levels of concentration and playing for the team and not yourself. Its about trying to be creative and not just taking safe options. I don't think we are seeing that in a lot of the players right now, not all but the majority

8. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Concentration and teamwork comes from coaching.

And I think the complete opposite in regards to being creative and playing simple passes.

The lack of coaching is shining through in regards to Christie, Eddie, Elyounoussi, Ntcham, Frimpong always trying to do things themselves instead of just doing the simple stuff.

9. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    If a new manager gets us playing better then that's just the way it goes, we had a team that looked absolutely atrocious under deila, unfit and being outplayed by a 1st division huns team and then Rodgers came in and suddenly turned them into one of the best Celtic sides ever, with few additions.

If players respect a manager they'll run through walls for him and go beyond their own capabilities in some cases, if they don't you'll get bare minimum from players, happened to far better managers than Lennon, when it starts happening its over and the truth is if the players get back to their best and deliver success again under a new manager the fans arent going to give a toss they weren't playing for the last guy.

10. Bonobhoy

The second they pull that top over their heads they play for the club,they should put in 100% effort regardless of just bad management,bad management only contributes to so much,when an International defender cant clear his box game in game out,that a player issue and he cant do the basics.

I would be * raging if someone came in and all of a sudden they miraculously start playing amazing,it shows they cheated the fans of points and Europe.

Duffy and Ntcham in particular should never place the hoops over their head ever again,and sadly im even going down that road with Eddy/Calmac/Barkas/MOI

Wee Baldy likes this.
  11. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Totally agree. As professional football players, they should have some personal pride in their performances and give their all the minute they set foot on the park. It doesn't look good on their CVA's if and when they want to move to a so called "better" club and it say's that they couldn't give a flying * when the club where going though a bad patch and acted like spoiled brats.

Bonobhoy likes this.
  12. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agree with this 100%. Is Edouard such a fragile little soul that he needs Lenny to delicately cojole him into giving us a performance. Its obvious that Eddy wants away but his attitude stinks and there is only one person to blame for that and thats himself. He's a grown * for fucksake, do not blame Neil Lennon for the attitude of the players who wanted away at the start of the season. Christie reportedly wanted away but fair play he is clearly still giving his all, he proved he has integrity and a pair of testicles which is more than can be said for certain other players in the team. Neil Lennon of course takes a large portion of blame for the start of this season, but these vindictive arseholes who want to blame him for everything are showing themselves for what they are.

Wee Baldy and Bonobhoy like this.
  13. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

"Teamwork" is absolutely a coaching thing. Playing for the team and maintaining your own levels of concentration is surely down to the individual.

I think the 1st 4 names you mention are the biggest culprits of not applying themselves properly. Ntcham has been the same since he walked in the door, has he always been poorly coached?

Taking the safe option isn't just about a simple pass. Simple passes can sometimes be the most creative. Taking ghe safe option is either because you can't be bothered to find a more adventurous pass or your teammates aren't making the effort to lose their markers to allow a better pass.

14. horseshoe

For people still backing Lennon, how much time do we give him, where do you draw the line? We've been winning games domestically mostly because we have better individual players than the other teams, but I'm still not sure what tactics or shape the team is supposed to be in half the time and it looks like the players still don't either. Pretty much been waiting for something to change since CL qualifying and we're in november now, well past the point of the team getting up to speed and clicking, have we really seen anything to convince us it's going to change going forward given a bit more time?

Keano88 and The Prof like this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Good management is everything, if players have lost respect for the manager then they will not perform to their highest level, regardless of whether they are professional or not.

The players hold the power, that's the way the modern game is, Lenny mentioned that the game the other night was not a reflection of himself, what utter nonsense, he's supposed to be the manager of the team, yet tries to detach himself from what was a pathetic performance from a group of players who seem to be just going through the motions right now.

saltire78 likes this.
  16. saltire78

Love Lenny. Twice a legend to me. But he's dead in the water right now, and bigger picture I don't believe he's going to do anything to help himself or us at our present juncture, in fact only the opposite. Really hard to sack a guy who has us in a final for a treble and we're only 3 points off top, but unless he can get us moving in the next week or two, he has to go. In a month we could be so far off the pace it'd be a huge ask, especially if there's a covid19 early shutdown. I'd have word and say he's until December to get us moving again, and that this year the EL is gone, unfortunately. If we're not looking in good shape by December I'd replace him and give the new manager a month to review before the transfer window opens and he can buy/sell as required

The Prof likes this.
  17. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    You can't speak of spoiled if the reality is that we're financially so much ahead that only serious mismanagement can cause us not winning the league. Yes, money can't buy you success but with our enormous financial lead you cannot lose the league if you do a half decent job in management. And this concerns the board and Lawwell as much as Lenny. Winning the league and not getting dominated by your major opponent for 3 games in a row is the least you have to do.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We've no game plan, the players don't know their roles, Lenny doesn't know how to set us properly or change a game.

If we win the league it will be in spite of Lenny and because the Huns bottle it.

We are still in touching distance at the moment, it's now become more of a gamble to keep him in place.

And he's had a fair crack from a lot of us.

charlietully likes this.
  19. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

Exactly.
    People forget this is what cost Lennon his job at Hibs, shouting at the players constantly.
    Charlie Mulgrew was on that Off The Ball podcast thing a while back and basically said Lennon would shout and bawl and pick the line-ups. That was as much as he managed at the time. The coaching came the backroom team etc.
    At least back then he had coaches and backroom staff of his own picking. Now we have Kennedy and Strachan, and it is showing how badly they have set us back and how big a loss Duff is.

Nightmare stuff.

20. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

He should never have gotten the job full time. That's the first mistake the board made. The second was forcing Kennedy etc onto him, Lenny should have stood up and demanded his own backroom team. The fact he didn't shows he is not the right man for the job, if he compromises on that essential element then he sets himself up to compromise on everything the board throws at him.