1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Diego Laxalt!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Oct 5, 2020.

Discuss Diego Laxalt! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye, definitely looking like the same player who caught the eye at the World Cup a couple of years ago. Much more confident with him there than I was with Greg Taylor.

Tommy25, Lennon1888 and Cammaris like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Getting better with games and looks quality.

Would sign another LB in January tho because if he's injured the thought of reverting back to Taylor, who's a significant downgrade isn't very appealing.

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    If Milan are still interested in Ajer next year, maybe they'll be up for a swap deal for him? Only real way I see us keeping him

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Si Ferry reckons Celtic have the perfect replacement for Kieran Tierney in loanee Diego Laxalt and need to push the boat out to ensure they sign the full-back on a permanent deal.

The defender is yet to taste victory in four games under Neil Lennon but has looked a quality addition so far.

The defender is yet to taste victory in four games under Neil Lennon but has looked a quality addition so far.

His superb performance last night against Lille underlined his value to the team and showcased both his defensive nous as well as a tangible attacking threat.

And the former Hoops kid jokingly suggested that his old side should consider "sponsored walks and car boot sales" to ensure they have the funds to make a permanent deal from AC Milan possible.

While much of the praise for last night has been aimed in the direction of Moi Elyounoussi after his brace, Ferry thinks he's performing better because of the standard of player now behind him on the left.

He told Go Radio: "Elyounoussi has been helped by Laxalt coming in.

What a signing he is by the way. He does the work of two guys.

If I'm Celtic I'm doing sponsored walks and car boot sales to buy that guy because he looks like a ready made replacement for Kieran Tierney.

That's how highly I rate him.

"It's due to his competitiveness, his fitness and his quality on the ball. He's really helped Elyounoussi massively."

6. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Top level player but if I was to be picky I'd say his crossing can be over hit at times but definitely a player.

Hopefully we can get a deal done and keep him here

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I don't want to get too excited about Laxalt as we have seen other players before start well and still not really work out. But you really do get the feeling Laxalt is the real deal and a top player. So assuming that turns out to be the case for sure if Milan were really interested in buying Ajer next summer then maybe we could take Laxalt plus a few million and send them Ajer. They bought Laxalt for 14m euros so a deal sending Laxalt and say 2-3 million Celtic's way with Ajer going the other way would be some very good business I think.

8. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looks a way better player in a back 4, but his crossing on the whole ain’t that impressive. Better natural defender one to one than KT imho..

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I want him here for longer than this season. Seems like the real deal so far.

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
  10. celtic warrior

Real plyer.

Got that aggressive edge to him, solid player in a tackle and on the ball, could improve his attacking game but ffs, he's yet another one of our guys still finding full fitness.

The level between the likes of him and KT compared to bolingoli and Taylor is might and day.

Get him signed up permanently please

Tommy25, Dan Breen and Rydo1888* like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

DIEGO LAXALT might not speak much English yet, but if one of Neil Lennon’s instructions to his left-back on Thursday night against Lille was to ‘get stuck in’, then the message certainly wasn’t lost in translation.

The Uruguayan was an outstanding mixture of aggressive defending, impressive athleticism and no little skill as he showed against Lille just why Celtic Lennon were so keen to bring him to the club on loan from Milan. His 13 successful tackles on the night was the most any player has registered in a single Europa League match for over five years.

In fact, such has been the impact of the 27-year-old that there is little doubt the Celtic manager would love to keep him at the club on a permanent basis. Whether that will be a possibility remains to be seen, but his ability has surpassed even Lennon’s high expectations.

“It’s early days,” said Lennon. “Listen, when you’ve got a player like that [you want to keep him]. It will probably come down to having discussions with him.

“He’s a player I’ve admired for a long time, and he’s proven everything that I thought about him to be true. He’s a great defender. I’ve seen him a lot of times and I’ve always liked his Style .

“Going forward he gives us good pace and thrust on the left-hand side, but he likes to defend.

“I think his positioning, his reading of the game and his football intelligence is very high.

“I think we’ll see more and more of him as he gets accustomed to the culture and the language, but I think he’s adapted brilliantly so far through all the games. He’s been outstanding from the moment he came in the door.

“He doesn’t speak much English, but you don’t have to tell him too much or give him too many instructions.

“He knows the game, he understands his position, and I felt that when I watched him over the piece he would add a lot of quality to our play. I think he’s been an excellent addition, a superb asset to the squad.

“He’s very fit, he looks after himself well. He’s a great defender and he gives us good balance on that left-hand side.

“He’s aggressive in his play and he’s aggressive in his passing. I’ve been absolutely delighted [with him].”

The only disappointment from Laxalt’s first four games for Celtic is the rather striking anomaly that they haven’t won any of them, with two defeats and two draws from matches against Rangers , AC Milan, Aberdeen and Lille.

“He hasn’t been on a winning team yet, so he’s getting a bit of stick about that from the boys, but his performances...” said Lennon.

“I think he’ll get better and better, I think he’s really enjoying it, and we’re enjoying having him.

“He was absolutely superb on Thursday night up against quality opposition.”

While the inclusion of Laxalt has been one of the positives of this recent run of games from a Celtic perspective, the absence of other players has undoubtedly contributed to their winless streak.

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Make it happen Pete...long term deal for our Uruguayan Tim.

13. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    I love him

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
  14. adequate citizen Zenon Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    seems to have this magical ability of creating acres of space around him..... needs to be utilised more by the team

Tommy25 likes this.
  15. Lewis Kerr

He adds so * much to this team.

Tommy25 and neilly1987 like this.
  16. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Dre Parker playing well

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Unlucky not to be MOTM again tbh. I'm just gonna keep saying that every week at this rate.

18. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Let's start a just giving or go fund me page so we can sign him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a sensational player..

Solid as *..

I love him..

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Making a big difference. Wonder what it would take to keep him.