1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. freitassen

It is probably not your main point but people really to stop questioning and blaming a guy that scores every 20 minutes coming back from the bench, unless when playing against a Milan we had no chance in * in beating, and would have rescued us 4 points if it wasn't for our defence being coached by idiots.

There is every chance Lennon is being "economical with the truth" with the Griffiths situation because there is nothing in the pitch suggesting he is unfit (or worse than Lennon's usual choice of second striker, Elyounoussi). The same guy not playing Griffiths for lack of commitment plays Ntcham at every chance possible.

Since we reached this topic, I refrain from blaming players until we are coached by someone competent, because there seems to be something magic at Celtic that every defender forgets how to play football here (even Julien was starting to * up) and I find it very unlikely all of them are crap.

As you said, if the players don't respect Lennon, it might be because there is a very good reason for it.

The Prof likes this.
  2. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

My thought when i started this thread was that it may be thought of as just another thread about Lenny, but i really wanted to focus on things from the perspective of the Board and what they should or shouldn't do.

I realise in discussing these matters there is always a danger of repitition, after all it all comes back to Lenny whatever way you look at it, but the replys have been really good and well thought out, very interesting to read how others view things.

Marty McFly likes this.
  3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah....

Lennon has no vendetta against Griff, he was a crucial part of our 3-5-2 and there's absolutely no way he would create fictitious problems with his fitness and deprive us of Griff through important games at the start of the season.

Added to that Griffiths himself has admitted it: “I let myself down, my club down, everybody down. Hopefully I will do well in the next few games and start repaying them.

“It was a blow but it was my own fault and I had to take it on the chin."

There's no conspiracy here. Griffiths unprofessionalism over the 3 months in lockdown cost us an important player for the start of this season.

Big C and The Prof like this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I think it is obvious that myself, and others, deem he should go now, but I can appreciate some folk want to see him given a bit more time. Be it the respect for the man, that they may have seen something in the team at the weekend, or that they simply do not want to give up hope on this quite yet.

But my worry is, if we allow him the time you say, that takes us to the end of November - we then stare down the barrel at December, which is normally a busy month and we then look at being near the midway point. I fear that situation may bring about the attitude of "its too late in the season to be changing, need to stick by him now".

As I say (and I mean this positively and with respect) I get that some folk want to give it more time, but we do run that fear that there is always going to be "excuses" to not pull the trigger. Better now than later - in my opinion.

The Prof likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, I'm at that point also mate. The Hun game should've been a watershed moment that saw a reaction; it hasn't materialised.

I think if we don't nip this in the bud now then it could be terminal for the 10.

But if he failed to win in any of those 3 games - in addition to likely defeats in the Europa - then his position should become untenable, even to the board who are notoriously slow to act on these things.

The Prof and Peej like this.
  6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I think he'll be given the next 4 games to show some signs of improvement.

That gives him two Europa League games, which will show whether we're still capable of competing on the European front or whether we've sunk to Europa League whipping boy status.

A semi-final vs Aberdeen, which will either take us 90 mins from another major trophy and the brink of a historic quadreble treble or it'll be our first domestic failure since 2016.

And an away match vs Motherwell which could either get our league challenge back on track or throw our title ambitions into crisis.

If Lenny doesn't give a good showing in these 4 games then there's a two week international break which could offer us the time we need to find a replacement manager.

7. celtic warrior

The board knew what they were doing bringing in Lennon forna second stint, they took a cheap risk despite seeing and enormous uptick in finances when brining Rodgers in and the subsequent haul of silverware.

They have honestly thought that Lennon would be infallible and untouchable because of the love we have for him - they have thought that bringing him in after the way Rodgers left would keep the fire alive in us fans for the future success of the 9 and 10iars.

They have insulted the intelligence of most of the fan base by assuming we'd be all doey eyed and cheery for Lennons second coming as manager, now they insult further by no doubt giving lennon, easily, until after new year to turn things around as they will be looking at seasons prior where we falter at the start but completely batter our competition domestically after Jan.

If they were serious about trying to save this season financially they'd have binned Lennon already after Sheep result, clearly they aren't and would rather wait till it's too late and allowing the 10iar season to go to the wire.

Which is especially infuriating given that the way things are looking, we'd be lucky to * see out the * season to begin with and if we carry on in this current bullshit form we could easily end up losing 10iar due to incomplete season being declared and then being x nunber of points behind the scum.

For a board who love money and running profitable books, they are really being reckless with them right now.

8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It's a tough call, but a decision to replace or stick with him for the season has to be made soon as we, quite literally, have no idea how long he, or a new manager, has to turn things around due to the possibility of the season being stopped early. As it stands we are behind in the PPG stakes and can't afford to let that increase. I suspect a decision will be made after the Aberdeen cup game on the 1st, depending on how that goes.

The other question is who can we bring in that could start straight away? If we look abroad would they have to self isolate? It's not like managers are elite atheletes after all. Other than Stevie Clarke I'm struggling to think who we could get that could also start right now.

The Prof likes this.
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Needs to go on a run..

Maybe with a few big players set to return we can..

It's the least confident I've been in winning the league in recent years.

10. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hopefully Killie * the huns on their * pitch too

Mon!!

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'd say the 75% mark would need to be hit for the season to be called.

The Huns would greet of they just voided this season, but that's on them and the carry on over the summer and not allowing the board to take control for this year will make things more awkward for others.

They will argue last season was a precedent that it should be declared on PPG, but it isn't. It was a vote and then we voted not to allow the board to have final say again.

So it will go back to a vote again, but I can't imagine many clubs agreeing to a curtailment again, specially not with how things have panned out.
    First, they will want to see approx the 75% being played, then clubs will take in to consideration time scales. They will be very much aware that ten games can be played on a month to five weeks, so any planned curtailment will factor that in, along with the knowledge that any large scale lockdown (on the same level as march) is likely to only last 2 months.
    Of a lockdown happened again come December, the thinking will be that the season can start up again come late February, we will just fun the season like England and Spain did.

If the season gets suspended come march, we will be 10 or so games away, again can be suspended for two months till late may and we still could finish the season off by mid July latest with 2-3 weeks off (qualifiers aside).

A lot more is now known about what lockdowns will look like and how long the hardest of lockdowns can last.

For me, there is a risk it can affect the season, but not likely to curtail one. The Huns and the media will be begging for that though and will greet when it doesn't happen in their favour.

Massive trajectory there, I do apologise

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The Prof likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Early days and it’s not a big points gap at the moment. The scum won’t go unbeaten. Folk are right to be concerned though, the standard of performances haven’t been great.

Smithy likes this.
  13. Foley1888

Its not so much what they are doing that worries me but what we are. We really need to settle down get our attitude right and get our best team on the park. That includes a clear formation and style of play.

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    * THE BOARD...

They need dragged into the year 2020... stuck in 2000 for about 20 years now... fuckpigs

15. Big C

We’ve just posted the worst set of financial results in decades and the board have invested heavily in the transfer market yet again this season. The board can only be commended, they knew what the figures were going to be and continued to back our desire for the 10!!!

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  16. freitassen

There is one thing that the board can't be blamed for. They spent money on areas that were needed, instead of pilling up young players that will never play due to compulsion as usual. Barkas and Duffy were very good signings on paper. Nobody could know they wouldn't work out (and the jury is still out about Ajeti). Laxalt is also exactly what we needed. Considering the current situation with covid and income collapsing, they did much more than I expected.
    About changing the manager, everybody knows he is here because he is the cheapest and easiest option. There is no even attempts to hide it with all the bragging about signing the manager in the shower and binning everyone's application without looking at it. I find it extremely weird a top club feel so proud about these sort of details that they would like to make it public. It is usually the sort of thing that when happens people try to hide.
    This shows their lack of imagination, to say the least, but as much as I want Lennon sacked, I understand the argument that we might end up with Kennedy or Collins if he eventually is. I simply can't imagine the same board who dismissed people who actively offered themselves to work with Celtic without thought is now making a shortlist and evaluating options that aren't the usual "Celtic man who knows the city and will work for peanuts due to emotional connection".

Big C and The Prof like this.
  17. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

We seem like a bit of an old boy's club to be honest. I don't see much evidence of forward thinking at the club. Doesn't matter if we're talking about coaching, transfers, the youth team or even business development. We appear to be very poorly organised in almost every area.

Take the youth and reserve teams for example - Stephen McManus and Darren O'Dea. Both good Celtic men but were they really the best, most qualified option? It seems to me that the club are incapable, or unwilling, to look outside their own little bubble.

18. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    There seems to be disconnect between the board, the manager and the players I have faith we'll turn it around though. At the end of the day it's only 3 points and sevco aren't exactly world beaters despite grinding out results , they'll lose a game soon and we'll then see what they're made of.

A few good wins for us I think we'll be back on track

19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    See what @El Capitan posted....

20. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I agree with that, although being a ex Celtic player or a Celtic supporter has worked for us in the past, would we have got Damien duff for example if there wasnt a connection. Also as bad as he has been the same can be said for Shane duffy, if there wasn't that connection he would most likely be at somewhere like west ham now.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk