1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Probably just going through a bad moment

Would ordinarily drop him for a few games so he can get himself together but don’t think we’ve got that luxury just now. Don’t think I’d be putting Welsh in ahead of him the now.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Gotta be honest mate I know that’s based on how bad duffys been as opposed to how good Welsh looks but on what I’ve seen from Welsh based on Huns game and Milan guy being the lesser of 2 evils certainly doesn’t look like the answer either

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. Bazza Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Its a grand old team to play for
    Plenty of CB's on a free just now, good quality ones as well, bring them in 6 months, steady the ship. * I'd even take Jozo back, never thought he should have left in the first place.

ede likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No option but to keep paying just now, with injuries etc.

StPauli1916 and Random Review like this.
  5. Foley1888

Duffy needs taken out the team to get his head straight. The first few games he was doing fine sticking to what he was brought in for the last few he has been a disaster. Hopefully Bitton is fit and can come in beside Ajer along with Elhamed at Right back.

Welsh isn’t the answer and looks around the same quality as Ralston. Welsh is so slow to react to danger around him in the box (Rangers game 2nd goal after Duffs block, his distribution is basically launch it or easy ball and he gets outmuscled to easy (Milan first goal the scorer just shrugged him off). He is a decent SPL level player like Fraser up at Ross County but not good enough for us.

6. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Fs mate- you started that in the first sentence with a lot of heart felt sympathy then went for the jugular like a tiger pouncing on its prey for dinner in the second

7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    In wit way Ntcham baling over and decking the Aberdeen player was Duffy to blame for that goal or mcgregor making a daft challenge for the 3rd penalty- guys made mistakes mate and has been pish but the 2 penalties weren’t his fault

Dan Breen and Sydneysider like this.
  8. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not impressed so far. I'd never seen him before, but he must be better than this to play in the EPL. Surely?

Is he going to come good? Because if how he has been so far is his level, he isn't good enough for Celtic.

9. Jeremie Frimpong

I would honestly rather play Welsh.

Metrobhoy, Valhalla and paulmcq1888 like this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Probably the reason he got loaned out. Slow and finished.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

The way I am looking at it is, Welsh is our player and needs game time.

Duffy is wasting money and is unbelievably *, which I thought he wouldn’t be.

When Bitton is back from self isolating he should come in.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd happily have bitton as our CB full time. Hes the most composed on the ball and calm.

Metrobhoy and bhoy81 like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Disappointed Kris Commons has ripped Shane Duffy to shreds and told the toiling defender he's no Efe Ambrose.

The 28-year-old's nightmare Celtic loan continued on Sunday as he was badly at fault for Aberdeen's second goal in the thrilling 3-3 draw at Pittodrie.

Duffy fronted up before the game but his latest slapstick display has supporters worried with the Hoops in desperate need of a win after defeats to Milan and Rangers.

His gaffes have led to comparisons with former Lennon stalwart Ambrose, who himself endured some high-profile errors in green and white.

But Commons reckons any comparison between Duffy and the former Nigeria international are well wide of the mark

Speaking to the Daily Mail. he said: "Duffy just looks like an accident waiting to happen. A bomb scare and that's a criticism which used to be levelled at my old teammate Efe Ambrose.

But I tell you what. On current form, I'd take Efe over Duffy all day long.

Some people have branded him the Irish Efe Ambrose but that's doing Efe a real disservice.

"He could be outstanding on his day, like he was in the Champions League victory against Barcelona in 2012

Yeah, okay, he took too many chances and sometimes made supporters nervous. But at least with Efe you knew there was a player in there.

"He was quick, had great recovery pace, great athleticism and he could bring the ball out from the back.

"I've not seen any of that yet from Duffy. He's been rank rotten from the minute he walked through the door.

"Listen, he's a proven operator in the English Premier League. At 28 years old, there's still a chance that he might come good eventually.

"But he needs to get himself up to speed and sharpish. With so much riding on this season, Celtic can't afford to be carrying any passengers."

Metrobhoy likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'd play him on Thursday, see if he can get some confidence back. Probably lose regardless of the personnel in any case, less of a gamble than a league game at this stage.

15. celtic warrior

The only way I can see Duffy working going forward from now is if we go, for argument sake, a back 3 with Jullien and Ajer doing the leg work as they are clearly more agile and can actually run.

Then as last ditch effort Duffy remains deep and central to get his body in the way of the attacker lining up to shoot, never wonders out, drifts wide or runs out to meet a ball.....

He's ok enough in putting himself in the way and blocking so play to his strengths and let him be the last resort of defending via brute force should Jullien and Ajer not be able to win the ball back using their athleticism.

Even though I say all that, I'd still bench him the moment Jullien is fully fit and have Jullien and Welsh play with Ajer in Brown's role

16. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Commons is a * but he's right, Ambrose was better for us, definitely.
    I'd play Bitton and Welsh ahead of him, in a back 3 or 4, doesn't matter. He's terrible.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Basically another EPL over hyped premadonna who came here thinking it would be easy, stroll to the 10 and pretend like hes part of some history. Send him back.

Westlondonscot and Metrobhoy like this.
  18. ddub11

Think some of the criticism is a bit ott,Duffy couldnt get into an average Brighton team so im not sure what people were expecting when he came to us.

Hes nothing special but imo he will improve once the whole team settles and we start winning games.Because things are not going our way at the moment he is under scrutiny and every mistake is highlighted.

We are going through a bad patch at the moment and players/management are going to be criticised but with regards to duffy ,while he will never be anything special,once things settle i believe we wil see a better player than we are seeing at the moment.

19. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Julien , Elhamed and Biton can all help settle that back line .

20. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    5th choice Centre half , hoping for an injury crisis at the back for Brighton so we can somehow wiggle out of paying this dud