1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leadership capacity in the team, short and long-term

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Leone Naka Fan, Oct 25, 2020.

Discuss Leadership capacity in the team, short and long-term in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Today, it was shown, yet again that we look very different with Brown and without him. He's what, 35? And yet, we have no player who could inspire his teammates the way he does. Okay, Griffiths is also spirited, but isn't a regular starter.

Could our issues this season be partially down not due to tactics, but a lack of more leader figures in the squad? A mental issue. How does this team transition to a post-Brown era?

Metrobhoy likes this.
  2. celtic warrior

There is no one outside Brown who can be a captain and leader.

At a push, maybe, I'd have Ajer over McGregor.

Other than the two named, there is * all here.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Attitude reflects leadership and if your manager is sitting on his * all game not giving a * then it’s going to transcend through the team. Been like this for a while now.

McGinn was the perfect replacement for Brown and Lawwell * that up.

4. celtic warrior

McGinn, at the time, was never going to get ahead of Brown, McGregor or Ntcham.

He was never going to accept sitting on the bench for two years.

What the board * was just going cheap and letting Lennon have another go

5. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He 100% would of gotten ahead of Ntcham just like Christie did. Our starting midfield last season would of been McGinn McGregor and Christie, the rest being rotated in when needed.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Brown and Griffiths came on and the game felt a bit different from the earlier 70 minutes, but inevitably it was still * and still lacking.

Brown has been dropped for two games in the past month and both times it has taken late subs to salvage the game - that on the face of it looks good for bringing Brown in to the team. However it can not excuse the other 13 games this season where we have looked absolute devoid of leadership and a captain while he has played.

Brown is best at doing exactly this, late sub to drive the team forward.

As for captain, he remains club captain till the day he leaves, after that it needs to be McGregor or Ajer and whoever it is needs to recognise their role and step up to the plate when Brown is not in the team, because we cant keep playing him every game. For me, the small glimmer today was the midfield actually playing the ball more fluid this afternoon. We done next to * all with it, but we looked more in control and forward with it.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. wulliebad

I think next summer we will have bigger problems than \0/ still playing 2 games a week,lots of this current team will move on regardless of what happens this season.
    You have to look at those who want to be here and have a bit of drive. I can't see past calmac if he stays.

8. celtic warrior

McGinn, rightly would not have waited that long to get his chance.

At the height of our game under Rodgers he'd not got ahead of Brown, McGregor Rogic or Ntcham (unless as to be named on the bench).

He was never going to come here. Pretty sure he even came out and said so himself after his eventual move to villa.

No point going on about McGinn, we may have been in for him, but he'd have been a celtic player as much as Zlatan. Was never happening.

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

It was Rodgers last season we tried to get McGinn, we got a load of injuries which is how Christie got his chance and stayed in the team. McGinn would of broke through a lot quicker.

It is beside the point though, we have a lot of footballers in the team but no real leaders or battlers. Brown is past it and Duffy is absolute pish. McGregor isn’t vocal enough and is struggling as it is.

neilly1987 likes this.
  10. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

We were * without him today and * still (same as all season) when he was ghosted by in the lead up to their own for the equaliser. If anything, the blame lies with Lennon for playing him so much and how * the team has been all season generally. Some of that is on the players too, but thread isn't about them or Lennon, so I'll digress.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Your so wide of the mark. If you watched any of the games vs Hibs that season then you could tell he could play in that team and he got the edge over Brown in the physical battle. Ontop of that he always gave Rangers problems and came out on top of them In a few occaisions. In two of those games, Ntcham had to go off at half time. Has either Brown or Mcgregor been in any purple patch of form over the past two seasons?

At times i think celtic fans have a superiority complex when it comes to other players in scotland. We should always be looking to buy the best of what scotland has to offer.

King of Kings likes this.
  12. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Going back a few seasons now you have to look at the players we have been bringing in and ask who of them has that will to win, character, heart, ability to step up when its baws to the wall.

Not many it must be said. Duffy you would have thought. We cant just buy players, we need to buy characters as well. Winners.

13. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think we really need proper leadership in the management department tbh, that's the root of our problems.

Valhalla and Sgt Neppers* like this.