1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I honestly think with a bit more coaching he could be good enough for us, but we seem to be good at throwing players with zero game time in the toughest games (Gamboa was another).

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ralston also
    I do like his distribution, seems comfortable on the ball, which is important for a Celtic center half.

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The issue with Welsh is the fact he got to age 20 and hasn't been given any opportunities before now, then gets tossed in twice at the deep end and subbed twice as well.

No confidence will have been given to him because of this. He knows why he got a start, subbing him in favour of Duffy will just dent any confidence he may have had.

There was 13 games before tonight, the lad should have been given time somewhere else at least. Same goes for last season.

Why do we always seem * scared to play our own youth until they are 23 or something?

For me, he has done nothing wrong the past two games to say he is * and doesn't deserve a chance.
    If anything, the circumstances tell me we need to give him more time. Not because he blew us away with a great performance, but because we need guys like him to at least be a little more prepared than he was for this. To also give the lad a chance to properly develop and perhaps step up to the plate.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

4. Pearse67*

Seen nothing to tell me he is going to be a starting cb for us, average.

Antz1888 and Dan Breen like this.
  5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just unfair to chuck him to such big games with zero game time under his belt this season.
    Hopefully wont dent his confidence.

6. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Should have been getting minutes off the bench in handy games for months rather than being thrown in deep end one last season and twice so far this season

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Peej likes this.
  7. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    While I agree with you and the same goes for all youth and fringe players, we've no had enough comfortable safe game to do so this season.....

Dublin Celt likes this.
  8. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I don’t think he would have taken these losses as dents in confidence rather than using the experience and making sure he works harder and better. Really don’t get why he hasn’t had more game time in this season

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    In fairness, he was never going to get picked ahead of CJ, Elham, Bitton Duffy or Ajer.

10. celtic warrior

Deserves to keep his place imo.

Duffy unfortunately is going to play no matter what just to prove a point so I'd let them two take up the cb positions.

Ajer needs to take over Brown's role pronto. He has it in him to play the role easily. He's more agile then given credit for and in occasion is good for a gallop forward with the ball which is something Brown doesn't really do, on the ball, Brown is static. Ajer at least looks to move forward with the ball whether passing or running through midfield.

That, coupled with allowing guys like McGregor, Rogic (especially) and Christie to stay further up the park for attacks is priceless as someone will need to come out to meet Ajer leaving one of those three free.

11. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If it wasn't for him getting taken off at half-time last game I'd agree. Not sure now whether putting him into another high-pressure game is the right thing to do.

12. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    At this stage the lad reminds me of Gary Caldwell, especially when passing. Played some good direct balls inside to Ajeti in the 1st half the other night.

13. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Should never have been dropped before that cart horse.

callumrae1967 and Peej like this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    After the last two games, how he got dropped in favour of Duffy is baffling.
    Yet again more disaster decisions by the manager.

Not saying he wins us the game today, but he certainly has shown he is less likely to do what Duffy continues to do.

15. wulliebad

Must be first choice over duffy now,if not lenny is throwing away his job.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STEPHEN Welsh has made three competitive appearances for the Celtic senior side, two of which came this season in the shape of this month’s Glasgow derby and last week’s UEFA Europa League encounter with AC Milan at Paradise.

Having worked through the ranks of the club’s Youth Academy set-up, Welsh has impressed at all levels and has been delighted with the trust Neil Lennon and his backroom staff have shown in him this campaign.

As a lifelong Celtic fan, the 20-year-old defender admits he’s living the dream and said he’ll do everything he can, on and off the pitch, to keep himself in the manager’s plans moving forward.

“Celtic is the only club you want to play for as a kid, especially being a fan, that’s the dream to go and play,” said Welsh in an exclusive interview with this week’s Celtic View, on sale now. “Now that I’m here, it’s just about living in the moment, working hard, and not getting too carried away because it’s still my job to go out there and play.

“As well as being a fan, you’re a footballer too, so you have to take the fan side of things out of the equation on matchday. That’s a totally different experience, but it’s obviously brilliant. Every young kid who’s a Celtic fan, it’s their dream to play for Celtic. Only a few lucky ones get to do it, and it’s such a privilege for me to be living it.”

Welsh’s first call-up to the starting XI this season was the Glasgow derby, and while Welsh was naturally disappointed with the result, he did admit he could draw positives from the experience as a developing player.

He said: “Despite that result, there are massive positives that I can draw personally. That was only my second game and to be thrown into, in my opinion, what is the biggest game in the world, there’s nothing better than that.

“No one likes to experience defeat, but you’re judged on how you deal with it. The biggest players experience defeat, so it’s up to you to pick yourself up and give it your all in the next game, and the next game after that. And that’s what this club is all about.

“The biggest thing for young players coming in, I think, is trust. The gaffer needs to be have trust in you and your abilities so that you can slot in and play and be ready. If the manager and backroom staff can trust you, then you can go in there and play with no fear.

“When you’re involved in the team, and involved in disappointing defeats specifically, it gives you more of an urge to push harder in the next games. Being a part of it definitely gives you more of an urge to do that, and so does being a fan as well.

"I know every fan will be the exact same, because I’m the exact same myself. You can’t change what’s happened now. You can only affect what’s ahead and it’s up to us to do that – for ourselves and for the fans.”

17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tragic Duffy is getting starts before him.

Sums Scottish football up.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was excellent when he came on..

So composed. Even in midfield with his back to goal and I don't think he wasted a single pass..

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s kept it nice and simple when he’s been called upon, he can be happy with his contribution in the few games he’s played.

20. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    With Ajer out he'll start on Sunday, massive game for him.