1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shane Duffy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

Discuss Shane Duffy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    Cant believe I'm saying this .. but he makes me pine for Effe !

Metrobhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He will come good, just like the team, starting on Sunday, when we put the romancers of the wool to the sword.

3. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    It's early days but he's been shocking so far.

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    On the first part I'm not even sure anymore.

I've seen him being brushed off the ball already by the likes of kevin nisbet. 5ft 10. He is good in the air but his positioning seems off...constantly getting caught in behind or down the channels, 3 of our last 5 goals conceded have came from set piece situations.

Hes not doing his job or what I thought he would.

Big C likes this.
  5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

So we sign and pay a someone £40k a week, probably making him our highest paid defender, purely to counter the guy at Aberdeen and the guy at Hamilton? We've yet to see if he can even do that, and considering he got mugged off and out muscled a couple of times by morelos at the weekend should cast doubts over it.

Sorry your big earners are there to play in the big games, not be there to act as some kind of special team for a handful of spl games. We could have signed some lump from another spl team for that and payed them 10% of what Duffy is getting.

6. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Without his vital goals we would be more points behind now though so money well spent.

7. Big C

His positional sense for the third last night was amateurish at best!! I’m desperate for him to be good as I am with all our signings. Can you imagine if we didn’t sign him and lost the goals we’ve lost from crosses so far this season!!! The board would be getting absolute pelters for not getting a “brilliant CB like Duffy”. It’s time he got his act together and start to organise the defence like an experienced international should.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Thank * it's just a loan based on his showing so far.

Trying to be positive, he did spend a year on the bench at Brighton before we signed him so hopefully he gets better with more games under his belt. Concerning start to his time here.

9. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    I have no worries about the bigman, were missing defender's for him to strike up a partnership, once we get guys back and the team confidence lifts he'll be fine.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Celticbhoy17

Been absolutely woeful in every game he's played. Scored a couple goals to mask that at the beginning, but his decidion making, passing, defensive awareness are all shocking.

He passes it around inside our own box instead of getting it away. plays it to people who are being tightly marked, plays people onside, misses challenges, fails to mark his man, just utterly abysmal. The amount of times I have seen him try to play it out from the back and immediately inviting pressure on ourselves is unfrorgivable.

We need to go to a back 4 and get this utter donkey dropped. Embarassing the amount of people who thought a guy who couldnt get into Brighton's team was going to solve all our defensive issues. Bitton,Ajer, Welsh, Julien, are streets ahead of him.

12. celtic warrior

Maybe injuries and covid can be fairly blamed for it, but, i feel like defence has gotten worse since he's been here and involved.

Ajer, Jullien, Elhamad all have faults sure, but the way he gets beat, taken for pace, dragged out of position I don't see that happen as often with the others.

If there is space and you have pace, Duffy is redundant, as great as he is for the rough tackles and headers, he's woeful as an actual athlete.

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He has had a shaky start but a change to 4-2-3-1 would see him much more comfortable/effective. As it would for most in our team.

I have no doubts he will be a success for us if we move to that.

14. Big C

I can’t remember us being such a soft touch with crosses for a long time!!!! At this point I’ll be glad to see the back of him, surely he must get better?

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

My worry fir him is he looks like a carthorse blowing out his * when he's turned and there is yards of space. Looks incapable of recovery up against anyone with a slight bit of pace. Same cant be said for Ajer, Elhamed and Julien (to a lesser extent)

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think on the passing and dribbling side of things, none of us should be surprised.

I knew exactly what we were getting. Hes not a ball player at all and needs to be told to keep it basic. Needs to. Even more so than the likes of Boyata which is saying a lot.

However I wanted him as I thought his leadership and old school defending would override the poorer parts of his game. So far however that hasnt been the case so we are left with someone who isnt bringing anything to the defence.

Needs to * prove he has the fight because we arent seeing it. And I cant believe I'm saying that about him.

17. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

I've heard that Katie stopped replying to him on Snapchat last Friday and he's been struggling ever since. He doesn't know if it was something he said or something that he's done.

Not sure how true it is

18. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If it is the difference between winning the league or not, yes.

And it's not only them anyway. What about that guy at Livingstone for example?

19. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

That's in part caused by opponents exploiting our 3-5-2.

The 2 wide CBs are getting pulled wide by wingers - Milan did it various times last night - and that allows them to isolate Duffy against 1 striker or attacking midfielder running at him, when he's standing still.

In the 4-2-3-1, the full backs and/or wingers are picking up those wingers and we have a sitting DM (normally Broony) who is the buffer before an attacker can run onto our CBs.

If we revert back to the 4-2-3-1 and ask him to play to his strengths in the air and simple clearances in the box then I'm positive he'll be a success for us.

I find it hard to be critical of these guys when the management are not playing to their strengths and that goes for Duffy, Taylor, Moi, Elhamed, Rogic.

20. Jeremie Frimpong

Dykes? He's away to QPR.