1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

I think the above highlights how our coaching staff are failing badly to organise and train the team appropriately in to the system we are looking to play. We also don’t sign players that suit the roles we need to fill, they aren’t all bad players but often don’t fit.

For me McGregor is better playing further forward where he can play quick give and goes, get into shooting positions and play through balls in to the front two and support our attack wide left. He can play deeper but is wasted there, having to drop in and cover.

When we signed Turnbull, given Soro seems out the picture we were crying out for a more combative defensively astute midfielder that could replace Brown and complement McGregor and Christie in our midfield. Ntcham should have been sold, he made it clear last year he wanted to go and his performances recently have been well below par.

I feel the same with our forward options, Klimala doesn’t fit what was required and I really question the money spent there. Ajeti has scored goals but I feel the type of striker we needed to compliment Griff or Eddy was someone with the physical attributes to hold the ball in and bring others into the game, we haven’t had that since selling Dembele.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Totally agree with this. I never rated him under Ronny as thought he just kept the game ticking over but didn't really impact the game. Rodgers came in & totally changed that & he became one of our betters players. Lennon has changed that back to the same as he was under Ronny, just keeps the game ticking over with not enough impact.

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    McGregor has gone from a dynamic and classy player to a very normal and ordinary player. No idea what Lennon and Co has done to him. I really hate it when he keeps dropping in deep and showing from the ball from defenders and then to simply passing it back to them. Whats the * point in that. Noticed that a lot recently, even when he played with Scotland. I hate that we seem to play so many wasteful square passing in the back. Even when Rodgers was here, the square passing was nowhere as bad as this.

This could be down to confidence or pressure. Seems everyone is reluctant to make a mistake

4. john2061

McGregor should be behind the strikers as people have said hes dangerous outside the box with shots .
    When you look at the sevco game at the bigotdome when we beat them 5-1 McGregor is running at their defence and gets a goal from it .
    Just think the whole midfield needs sorted would put Turnbull in the middle and McGregor further forward .

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think he definitely needs to be further up the park just now, his football brain and ability to pick a pass would go some way to rectifying our massive lack of creativity in the last few games.

6. Lewis Kerr

He's a smashing player on his day but the biggest myth amongst the Celtic support is that he's "consistent".

I'd like to see more games from him playing beside Christie or Turnbull.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Most consistent player in our squad, by far.

8. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Would also try him further forward again. 2 holding players behind him in big games would work well I think (Brown/Sorro/Ntcham).

9. annieroos83

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Consistent at being anonymous until he takes a thirty-five yard dig, then goes back to making wee passes here and there? Never seems to grab games by the scruff any more. Might just be a positional thing.

liam mcnicholl likes this.
  10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Seeing report that in his interview that their was a tidbit about few things internally to sort out this true ..... and if it is just confirms what we all thought in the back of our minds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

WHILE the disappointment of Saturday’s derby defeat remains a palpable one, the Celtic squad are already preparing for their next challenge – a home match against Italian giants, AC Milan, in their opening Europa League group-stage match.

And Neil Lennon’s side are looking to get that campaign off to a positive start with victory over the side currently top of Serie A.

Last season, the Hoops did the double over Italian opposition, beating Lazio home and away in the same stage of the same competition, and that will be the aim again this time around in their encounters with AC Milan.

For Callum McGregor, the game can’t come quick enough as he and his team-mates look to put last weekend behind them.

Speaking after the 2-0 derby defeat, the midfielder said: “When you lose a derby game there are questions asked and we have to face up to that. We did it in December and kicked on from there. We have to take that experience, learn from this and go on a run. We have to take confidence from what happened last time.

“What I would say is that we have to stay calm and we have to stay together. The sooner we can get the fans back into the stadium, the better, as they are a massive help to us.

“We have to keep the faith, trust the team and trust the manager and what we’re doing. We have been here loads of times before and have a load of experience. We are by no means out of it.”

Celtic went into the first derby of the season without James Forrest, Chris Jullien, Odsonne Edouard, Ryan Christie, Nir Bitton and Hatem Elhamed, and their absence was a challenge for the Celtic manager in selecting his side, with Albian Ajeti also having just returned to training that week following his injury.

And while the Celtic boss and his players know they could and should have still done better on the day, McGregor knows that a Celtic squad back to full strength can push on again.

“Sometimes when you are missing those key players then, subconsciously, you do have that little doubt that shouldn’t be there,” he said, “but we all have to accept the responsibility as a team when we don’t play well.

“We need to put our foot to the floor and the good thing is we have a massive game against AC Milan this week to get up and running again.”

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Basically admitting the player's had doubts/bit fearful the weekend with the player's we had out. It looked that way..

A couple of his interview's have told us a bit about the squad's mindset. Also said the other day about us being caught between what to do..

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Utter nonsense.

14. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I love the wee man, but he has been way below par recently.

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Doing the job of three men at times. Being ruined under the management right now.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    No surprise he isnt playing his best football under lennon.

17. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I don't think many are.

18. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wee man is quality, but not firing on all cylinders this season mainly due to players around him. I believe him and Brown just dont work, so NL needs to find him the right partners, we looked so much better when Brown went off.

19. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Defensively shocking today, lucky not be sent off

liam mcnicholl likes this.
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Regressed, majorly, this season.

Needs better players around him and a better system to flourish.

Crilly likes this.