1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilis Barkas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 29, 2020.

Discuss Vasilis Barkas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    My son is a goalkeeper at a reasonably high standard. His take on the first goal was simple.
    If he had saved it we would all have been ecstatic at the save. The fact he never shouldn`t suddenly make him be getting the stick on here for not doing so.
    He`s not made a save yet that wed all rate as a worldy. But that`s not all down to him. Fortunately, hes not made what Id call errors either putting any of the goals conceded down to keeper error. * come good, but in some eyes, that means making the worldy type saves.
    Sometimes (and this is from personal experience with my son) keepers don`t get the recognition they deserve, when all they are doing is marshalling the defence around etc, making sure they don`t have saves to make. I`m not into watching football with no crowd noise, so haven`t really watched any games where you`ve just heard the players talking.

2. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Aye sure Forster was an oil painting right enough. If looks made the keeper, Bain would have a few CL Medals in his back pocket.....

3. Dip 'n' Swerve

Useless, his eye co-ordination was terrible - he lacks agility and speed esp shots close to his body - I think the only saves this guy can make is getting the arms outstretched. Does he have a tongue, never seen him bark orders to the defence - fails to command his box and rarely comes with confidence to crosses. I would go back for fraser in jan time and I think bain should start in Europe. I don't think the back line will have confidence in the big man and vice versa from the amount of mistakes being made infront of him. It was a routine save he would practice daily on the training ground, the goal changed the dynamics of the match. Better to change it now before it is too late.

4. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Same here.. I watched him play against Norwich a few weeks ago and he was pulling off worldys all over the shop.. still a very very capable keeper..not glamorous enough for some fans I think.

Dan Breen and Sydneysider like this.
  5. celtic warrior

Nah, sorry, he made zero attempt to put his body in the way if either goal, the first was ridiculous and limp.

The second he was caught flat footed and didn't even * move.

He deserves criticism.

6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    100% behind him-the noo.

Breathnach67 likes this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CRAIG Gordon last night stated that Vasilis Barkas needs time to settle at Celtic and adapt to the intense demands of the Glasgow club’s bid to complete 10-In-A-Row.

Barkas was criticised by many supporters and media pundits for his personal display in the 2-0 defeat to Premiership leaders Rangers at Parkhead on Saturday.

The Greek keeper was signed from AEK Athens for £5m this summer after the Scottish champions had failed to reach an agreement with Gordon over the terms of a new contract.

The Scotland internationalist, who has since returned to his former club Hearts, feels his successor has joined Celtic, who take on AC Milan in the Europa League tomorrow night, at a difficult time.

He reckons the 12-times capped 26-year-old has to be allowed to come to terms with both the on-field and off-field pressures of playing for Neil Lennon’s side in the momentous 2020/21 campaign.

“It must have be very hard for him coming into this country and into such a pressurised situation in this season of all seasons,” said Gordon.

“I definitely feel for him. I have always got sympathy for any goalie. He has had an awful lot to deal with in a very short space of time, he has been thrown in to this situation.

“Being goalkeeper at Celtic is a highly pressurised place to be, as anybody who has been in that position in the last however many years will tell you. You only get one or two big actions in every game and you have to be ready to respond.

“The scrutiny that a Celtic or Rangers goalkeeper is under in this country is huge, it is much more than at any other club. If you add on top of that the magnitude of this season and it is even more.

“The difficulty in being in that position at the moment, where every one error, if it costs a goal, if it costs a game, is pounced on, is magnified so much more this season.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  8. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Anyone who thinks hes not at fault for the first goal is having a laugh, seriously. Showed a lack of anticipation and poor positioning, he gave himself too hard of a task to save it.

9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    FFS, that * * Gordon giving him the seal of approval, thats all a fellow needs to hear when riding a bit of a storm.

trackebhoy and Peej like this.
  10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We need to give the guy a chance, it's either that or just consign him to the list of bad buys, think he deserves a bit of time.

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He takes his share of the blame for not getting a strong hand to that, but the initial, and bigger fault lies with Duffy.

Like I've said elsewhere in this thread, he's shipped 8 goals, 2 of which are pens and 2 of which are unsavable shots.
    The other 4 are mainly defensive errors, 2 of which barkas needs to take his share of blame for, but on the piece the lads done fine.

Not shown any great world class ability that we got spoiled with during Forster's time, but the lads been in for a dozen games, give him time.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Dan Breen, Dannybhoy81 and The Prof like this.
  12. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I always feel safer with bigger framed keepers like Forster and Gordon. Shay Given was a cracking keeper though.

13. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    I agree tbh, the lad needs to bulk up a bit.

Metrobhoy likes this.
  14. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Gordon would have saved the first one

Blochairnbhoy and Metrobhoy like this.
  15. Thommo92

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I agree Duffy’s marking for the goal was poor and I’ve been very underwhelmed with him since he came. However, Barkas needs to hold his hands up for it as well.

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a good keeper who's settling..

I've no doubt Stevie Woods will work his usual wonders with him in term's of filling out a bit..

Dan Breen and Peej like this.
  17. jj81

Gonna save a pen tonight :D

18. Andybhoy93

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Get feelings of de gea when he first went to man u with barkas, small frame and looks out of his depth but hope the kid comes good and he just needs to find his feet

Breathnach67 and Dan Breen like this.
  19. DonnyCelt

Someone needs to tell this * when he dives he can extend his arms to make the save

Sydneysider and SmurfKiller like this.
  20. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Said it a few days ago. I'd drop him. He's rotten.