1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I'll probably get ripped for this, but all these vibrant, energetic midfields that people are posting and I wholly agree with, would mean leaving out Broony and I just canny see it happening for a prolonged period.

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Granted many of those points are true, bit he also takes too long in getting up to speed and spends too little time “sharp” or “in form”. Id imagine his statistics would be better if he could sustain any kind of fitness for a prolonged period of time. But Rogic cant be the best 10 if there someone who is statistically better at doing the job in that role. Because thats all he would be in the team for because he offers nothing defensively.

Christie isnt a box to box mid and he never has been. He was used at Inverness and Aberdeen as a wide player or behind the striker. He has tenacity to his play and he has an engine, but his strengths are all going forward. His statistics are undeniable and reflect that. Christie offers more to the team as he presses from the front and puts in a power of running. Theres no point in trying to fit square pegs in round holes. If we need a better defensive mid, then buy a player who is well versed in that role.
    it will only become exposed when we play competent teams.

3. john2061

Two things important going into any game the formation the players that they are comfortable with and the game plan .
    I didn't see any * game plan from the players yesterday and saw what the zombies were trying to do after 20 mins they kept a bank of three in the middle of the park so we couldn't pass through the middle and push us into the wings .
    What was unforgivable from the manager he didn't change it at half time as I was expecting at least three changes at half time and couldn't believe it when the same players came out for the second half .

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  4. green-yin

4-3-3 ajeti through the middle, eddie and christie either side of him drifting inside to allow laxalt and frimpong to attack from full back. Broony sitting in front of duffy and ajer. Calmac and turnbull box to box. Basically the huns setup. We have the players to really fit this formation.

Sgt Neppers* and Garrymac1888 like this.
  5. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Maybe one or two different players but I totally agree with the tactics thing, we don't have good enough or mobile enough centre backs to go three at the back.

We also need a mobile midfield.

Back four for me, Ajer Julian Duffy Laxalt

Midfield of Macgregor, christie and Turnbull.

Front three of Ajetti or Griff, Eddy and...however is fit for the third spot....would probably prefer Forrest as the third attacker.

Foley1888, green-yin and Sgt Neppers* like this.
  6. Sgt Neppers*

Think if we get Mikey Johnson fit and playing would be a massive addition to the left hand side of the park.

callumrae1967 and Garrymac1888 like this.
  7. green-yin

Think broony would be fine in there. Ajeti occupying centre backs. Frimpong and laxalt bringing width. Eddie and christie dragging players out of position and making chances inside and outside the box, mcgregor and turnbull pinging balls out wide or threading balls through, with licence to make runs beyond the front 3 as well. That is alot of options and movement attacking wise so would be happy with broony there to break up attacks and shield the centre halves.

8. john2061

Sometimes you need to fight fire with fire and the same formation and game plan might * up slippy .
    Just think brown McGregor in midfield together is not working against sevco as you look at the last three games they are in the midfield .

9. Foley1888

Where I think we cannot argue with the level of investment made in the summer especially in this challenging environment I am not sure about who we targeted (you could include January in this as we essentially needed the same players).

On the mobile CB we were crying out for a left sided one that would have allowed Ajer to cover the RCB role and there were a few who moved for fees well within our reach and would have done a good job.

We all knew we needed a LWB yet it took to the end of the window, well into the season to get one all be it one with a good pedigree if we had been tracking him since last year how come it took so long to bring him in?

In CM I think Turnbull could well turn out a good signing but it was really a more mobile DCM we were needing or more of a playmaker type with Lenny not playing Rogic, especially given our other options. Ntcham should have been gone.

I am keen to see what Soro can do, as if he is nowhere near being a better option than what we are currently watching then it’s another shocking waste of money.

As for a striker Ajeti has made a decent impact but his lack of fitness badly hindered us when we needed someone ready to go straight in. It’s too early to judge but I would have preferred someone bigger who could have played as a target man to compliment Eddy and Griff. Klimala is young and tries hard but early signs are worrying he lacks decent control and passing skills which if someone was going to be a hit you would have thought he might have had. For £3.5m I would have expected an awful lot better.

No comment on GK as clearly the plan was to get FF back and he didn’t want to come.

I think the above all plays into the points on tactics and the set up of the club as a whole. The lack of a game plan, set one or two formations and playing style means we are signing players pretty randomly (scatter gun), rather than what is probably needed to improve the squad.

Yeah we may have signed players who play the positions we need but surely if you know the way you want to play (press vs sit off, quick transition vs possession based, direct or short in passing style) all of these things should dictate whether you sign a player to come in.

For example why sign a Klimala who relies on pace in behind when 99% of the time we play teams that sit deep and we are slow in our build up? Or sign Greg Taylor a good defensive left back when you are looking for your full backs to get beyond your wingers and provide the width to your attack? Shane Duffy and give him the ball to play it out from the back when in most game’s Elhamed and Ajer either side of him are far more competent in possession. Being honest I have felt that way about Brown for sometime, he was effectively dropping deep to take the ball from CBs who are better on the ball than he is. Ely who is clearly a good player but we don’t seem to have a clue where to play him?

The club needs to go through the process we did when we appointed Rodgers, in that for all his poor signings and sneaking out the back door he laid down a set of standards and determined how he wanted to play. The players knew their jobs and what was expected of them when they had the ball and when they didn’t.

We pressed teams high up the park and moved the ball quickly with pace and drive throughout the team. It was just a pity that first season we didn’t have a better CB partnership and Keeper or we probably could have made more of an impact in Europe, (the CL draw we got didn’t help). But my main point is it was clear to everyone around the club what the standards were and what we were aiming to achieve.

Right now I don’t think our squad is that much worse than what it was then, that we should be in the position we are. If someone asked you right now what style does Celtic try and play? I honestly couldn’t tell you. We seem to mainly sit off while a few press, we hold possession for a little while then resort to overly ambitious long balls. There is little movement for the man in possession so we seem pretty static. Sorry this has rambled on more than I meant to but you could go on and on about the fundamental things that are missing right now and a lot of it comes down to having a manager and coaching team that don’t seem capable of putting these things in place and getting the best out of the players at their disposal.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Garrymac1888 likes this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Get McGregor further up the park and hopefully moving forward Laxalt takes some of the brunt of Frimpong's creative responsibility from wide areas.

The major problem just now is creating chances, it's all one paced and pedestrian from middle to front and that needs sorted pronto.

Big Tam at his best would be a Godsend just now but we don't have the half a dozen games for him to get into the groove.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Its high time its seriously considered. In too many big games now we have went completely missing. We need to progress the team and move on and that includes tactics as well.
    We have played the same system for too long and its failed us in big games too many times.

12. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Can Turnbull not do that role though ? I think he'd be more than able to provide that spark.

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think he probably could tbh from what we’ve seen, he looks confident enough.

14. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

He's defo a goal threat and has good enough vision to play there, would get decent amount of assists. Hopefully he gets a run, no 10 min cameos, an actual run of 5 games or so to see what he can do.

15. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Why not a 4-3-3 ala the huns. I think it suits our personnel and may provide some solidity while also supporting the single striker.

Barkas
    Frimpong/Elhamed Julien Ajer Laxalt - Back 4
    Christie Turnbull McGregor - Central 3
    Forrest Ajeti Edouard - Attacking three

We have Brown/Soro/Connell as backups for the middle 3.

We have Griffiths/Klimala as backups for central striker role with Elyounoussi and Johnston as backups for the inside forward positions. Additionally up front there can be interchange in the front three at anytime during the game. It seems a better fit of our personnel than a 3-5-2.

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Broony starting every game has been a problem for us, no doubt about it.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    whilst i agree it also concerns me that theres no physicality in that team outside of the back line if you remove him.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The one game he didn't start, v Saints, we were actually more solid through the middle. I get what you're saying but Christie and McGregor aren't afraid to get stuck in when required.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It's funny cos this is what we said about the 4-2-3-1 as well then binned that into the 3-5-2. Which is concerning.

Weve been too predictable for a while now.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Yet, Saturday would have much worse without him.

We do need to leave him out at times but when you look at our upcoming fixtures it won't be anytime soon.

packybhoy likes this.