1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Nir Bitton

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by ILoveTheCeltic, Aug 28, 2013.

Discuss Nir Bitton in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Genuine question: what professional footballers have been shown to die from it? The only one I'm aware of is that coach in Spain who had leukemia if I remember right. Have there been more?

Metrobhoy likes this.
  2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    There was one in South America (Bolivia I think it was) and one in Iran I’m sure.

My point, just to be clear, wasn’t that I think footballers are generally at a huge risk of suffering severely or dying. Obviously those events are unlikely. My point is that they’re regular human beings whose health is a private matter (so we don’t have any right to know exactly how bad they’ve suffered) and there’s the risk of them developing long term issues due to it or passing it to more vulnerable people, just like there is for all of us.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    So he went against our wishes being injured and decided to chance it for Israel without saying anything to Lenny...is that the gist of it?

Then he ends up having to isolate as well with their squad..

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Thank you for that information. It does however back up how little this is a risk this is for tem, in the same year 9 footballers are listed as having died of something traffic related (cars, motorcycles or trains). Last year even more: no fewer than 14 of transport-related causes (cars, motorbikes, trains and one plane crash). Are we going to make them walk to training? That gives you some idea of how likely they are to die of this. They are literally far more likely to be murdered* or to commit suicide than to die of Covid. This just isn't a major risk for them.

* I was genuinely shocked, while looking up the car and bike accidents I knew would be there, to see just how many footballers were murdered. * me.

5. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The direct immediate impact of COVID-19 on professional footballers is besides the point though. Yes, they’re unlikely to die (which of course is great), but there’s plenty evidence to suggest that they could have long term health complications because of the impact of “long Covid”. There’s also obviously the major risk that they carry the virus and pass it to more vulnerable people, be it family, friends, coaches, kit men, doctors, fans, whoever.

Without turning this conversation totally morbid, a footballer dying in a car crash doesn’t have a direct knock on effect in terms of numbers of deaths (other than people involved in the accident obviously). A footballer contracting Covid (even if they themselves don’t die) can easily (and unknowingly) transmit the disease to multiple people who do in fact suffer or even die from it though. So they’re not really comparable situations in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously (and I’d like to think this goes without saying, but you can never be sure on here!) I’m not in any way, shape or form downplaying the seriousness of death caused by motor accidents, murders or of course suicides.

More than happy to discuss this with you mate, but I’d probably suggest we do so in the Covid thread rather than clogging up the Bitton thread with increasingly unrelated debate :60:

6. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Long covid is analogous to complications from car accidents, things like whiplash injuries and such, so it's still a lower risk. There's no way to cut this cake that makes Covid one of the major risks in a footballers life. It just isn't.

Regarding the bit in bold, I agree 100%! You can find me arguing exactly that point in several posts in the last few pages. So we totally agree on that.

I'm just fed up of all the hyperbole about this disease. There's plenty of good reasons for saying these matches not worth the risk without us pretending the footballers are risking their lives, because they risk their lives more by owning and using a car.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    StPauli1916 likes this.
  7. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    To be honest mate, I think we’re singing off the same hymn sheet, just in different keys.

I’ve never said that Covid is one of the major risks in a footballer’s life and I don’t think anyone really thinks it is. It’s the risk of spreading it to the vulnerable that is a very real risk and that’s the point I’ve made various times on this forum. It’s like the unfortunately common ignorant youth idea of “I’m young and so I’m not bothered by it” which is wrong on so many levels.

My point in saying that the international games shouldn’t be taking place had nothing to do with the risks of the players contracting the virus and suffering themselves (with all due respect to them). My argument that the games should have been cancelled is that by mixing “bubbles” from roughly 15 different club sides into a national side and then having those sides travel to various countries to play the games, there’s a massively increased risk of players contracting the virus. That then hugely negatively effects the player’s club side who at the end of the day pay his wages and should take priority. Club football is more important to fans and more important financially than international football.

King of Kings and steg like this.
  8. leeso-ardoyne

Wrong! You need to start a covid thread 2! One for media driven information and anyone who believes there actually is a virus causing all these numbers, deaths etc.., and thread 2 where anyone with an alternative view is able to pop in with what valid information they have other than what the mainstream media are going with along with what others believe instead of shooting everything down as a conspiracy theory if someone goes against the grain.The Hysteria, the lockdown and taking away our rights is actually causing more harm than good.

I agree with you about clogging threads up with it however it's difficult to get away from it because it's effecting every fabric of all our lives. Its dividing people everywhere you look. There should be a thread where we can debate all sides of covid where everyone can have there opinions and especially without throwing snide remarks at people which is the last resort of stupidity IMO. We might all actually learn something from both sides which benefits all. All I know, were in one * up situation where people's emotions are all over the place and this * won't be finishing anytime soon. This is going to run on for years it is.

9. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Only read the first word of that, but care to tell me which part of what you quoted was wrong you absolute moon unit? :39: :56:

HoopyT and leeso-ardoyne like this.
  10. leeso-ardoyne

The covid19 can't be debated by all sides in the covid19 thread. Only one side can you post about! Any other views gets called a conspiracy theory and threats of bans, privileges removed from that section even when it's scientific evidence to back it up. Listen, covid19 is real anyone thinks any different isn't getting all information. Is it the deadly killer what was first made to believe. This is what we need to find out. Lots of information out there that contradicts what the main stream are reporting. It's time everyone got all sides. It's * every fabric of our lives and it's * depressing every last one of us.

It got me thinking, maybe the owners of the site doesn't want to go down this road, with information that contradicts what's getting rammed down everyone's throats by the main stream! Maybe it could have concequences for the site. I don't Know! But Its definitely crossed my mind that why they don't let it run with all sides in there. This is a Celtic/ pro Republican forum where we would all have an incite when someone's trying to * down our legs, when something just doesn't feel right! You have to admit Mcgrory, there definitely is sone strange goings on in the world today concerning all to do with covid19 and I don't just a virus killing everyone. The very fact it's even getting called out as a hoax/an agenda speaks volumes. It's * the very fabric of all lives. Old, young, rich , poor and in between. It's time we started tackling it head on instead of locking everyone up, closing everything down and * everything in sight. If it isn't as bad as first thought, let's treat it as such. There's meds out there with 100% success rate. If people can carry it back to old people, work around this. Not make people lock away for 14 days. Lots of information about the pcr test can be wrong etc.. There's more but that's something we all need to find out instead of just going with what governments tell us.

Anyway, I've said my part on it again. I'm someone who speaks his mind. I see us all sleep walking into something we will all wish we could of stopped well before it got so bad!

Best just to leave the thread about bitton again.

HH9

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm sorry if I implied that you said that; but if you think no one has, you haven't been reading the thread closely. Anyway, I think we agree on quite a lot, so I'll stop labouring the point.

McGrory1888 likes this.
  12. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Hey, dude, I don't mean any offence, but this is definitely for the HP&R thread, mate.
    Might be worth moving it there, dude. Again, I stress that I mean no disrespect, I'm just worried the mods will stop us discussing things that do belong in this thread.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Shut up ya baldy *

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Charlie Adam who said Ajeti was *

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

That * aye.

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The absolute nick of that * trying to stay relevant - a Scottish Championship midfielder with nae teeth and best known for the stench of his sisters knickers.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I’d say Charlie Adam is privy to what goes on behind the curtain at Celtic alright

KRS-1888 likes this.
  18. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Keep the thread on Topic or your posts will be removed.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NIR BITTON has told of his Covid-19 * and revealed: I couldn’t even stand up.

The Celtic star picked up the deadly coronavirus while away on international duty with Israel.

Bitton admits he underestimated the disease and called for urgent talks to limit who can be involved in next month’s international fixtures.

He said: “I went through some hard days with this virus. It wasn’t easy at all. Before I got the disease I underestimated it, but it was not pleasant.

“I had headaches, my muscles ached and I could not stand up. I had to sit.

“You do not know what you are heading towards.

Everyone knows how the disease starts, but not how it ends.

“If it affected me, a young and athletic guy, I do not know how it affects older people.

We see deaths and I need to say to people, watch out. Stay at home and look after your relatives. This is not an easy disease.

“I am still without taste and smell, but I hope it will come back soon and that the hardships are behind me.”

Bitton is now allowed out of isolation from his Glasgow home but faces a host of tests before he can make a Celtic return.

The experienced Hoops defender insists his club’s Covid-19 regime is watertight, with players all following orders.

But Bitton reckons it’s no coincidence that there was a flurry of positive tests during the international break.

Israel team-mate Hatem Elhamed and Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard caught the bug and missed Saturday’s derby defeat to Rangers.

Ryan Christie was also forced to isolate for 14 days after Scotland team-mate Stuart Armstrong tested positive.

Bitton insists any player from a club with a recent outbreak shouldn’t be allowed to play international football.

He said: “At Celtic we have been in a regime for four months since I returned from Israel.

“No families, no restaurants, no friends and almost no leisure life. We take care of ourselves.

“Then you go to the national team and suddenly there is a sick player.

"You find out after a few days and you know there will probably be more patients.

There is no solution. The only solution is to cancel the squad meetings and it will not happen.

“If a team suddenly has some positives, sometimes you should not take a risk.

"You have to keep players in an environment that is comfortable and sterile.

"If that means not inviting players from a team that has had an outbreak, then that’s what it should be.”

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I thought the assumption that Bitton and Edouard would just shrug it off like nothing was a bit presumptuous. Not saying they would’ve been decimated by it (although Bitton does sound like he was struggling) but generally speaking it can take a long time to fully come back from a viral infection.