1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luca Connell

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jun 29, 2019.

Discuss Luca Connell in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeremie Frimpong

The fact that he is yet to feature in a competitive game for us is ridiculous. His quality is obvious, and players above him in the pecking order have been underperforming.

Lennon should have given him a chance by now. (Please, spare me the line about training. It is a feeble excuse. All managers overlook players at times.)

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Why is it a feeble excuse? Players have to take responsibility for their careers as well as clubs. If training is where he can show himself he has to use that effectively. If he was worried this season would be the same as last him and his agent should have pushed for a loan and his agent actively seek one. While I'm surprised he hasn't played people are instantly assuming the club are just ignoring them rather than the player just not looking up to scratch, especially as he can't even get in a 20 man squad.
    I understand he played in the Championship, but he was playing in a team that got pumped every week.

3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Loan him out then.

It’s an absolute joke how we’ve been treating this boy. Either give him a shot or loan him out and let him play first team football somewhere else.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    How do you know that he wasn’t offered the opportunity to go out on loan and refused it, as he feels he can make the breakthrough here and is learning as much by training with the likes of Brown as he would by going out on loan? :39:

I was very impressed by him in preseason, but the truth is that it was an extremely short cameo in the grand scheme of things and Lennon sees him for a couple of hours on a daily basis. I’m hoping we’ll see him get his chance in the cups this season, but like him just need to be patient.

5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Nah, but we played * when brown was out the team for 80 minutes, so that excuses the other 12 * games he has had and no one else deserves a look in now.

Managers came out and stated after that he won't be making any major changes.

Every fringe player just got told they are being wasted.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

rickyroma25 and Jeremie Frimpong like this.
  6. Jeremie Frimpong

I agree, but why pretend that football is a perfect meritocracy? Managers frequently select players who underperform.

Has Lennon selected Brown on footballing merit this season? No. It is reasonable to assume, then, that Lennon might overlook players.

Connell is probably average, if not exceptional, in training; I have a hard time believing that he is conspicuously poor. In any case, he has shown in friendlies and reserve games, that he is an outstanding young player; he deserves a chance.

Dan Breen likes this.
  7. Foley1888

Only saw a little bit of Luca, but what I saw made me think he looked to have more to his game than the other young CMs that we have at the club that got a chance preseason (not criticising the others but praising Luca).

He looks the type of player who has a bit of everything can tackle, pass, positionally was good and received the ball well always playing with his head up and looking to get it moving forward.

We are stacked in CM and a loan would definitely have made sense for him at least until January as he is clearly not even an alternate for one of the first choice 3 CM slots.

We have really struggled to get the balance right at CM this season so far and being fair to him he could have got more of a chance or at least place on the bench to try claim a slot. The same could be said for Soro and getting off the bench.

The big issue is Lenny doesn’t often go beyond the known pool of players and seems to already try fit too many CMs in the team at times playing them upfront, just off the striker or on the wing.

8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The only thing with Connell is he is fairly versatile, can play at left back which makes it all the more confusing why he hasn't been featuring in match day squads since Boligate.

Lad has great potential and already shown his quality (albeit in friendlies) so I can't work out what he's done or not done to sit in the reserves yet again.

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Did he play in the bounce game?

10. shieldsybhoy

Didn't Brown say that he went to Lennon to encourage him to play the player who you take your username from? Has any player done that for Luca Connell? If not, I wonder why.

11. CountyDownFaithful

Not a fan of signing young lads and not giving them a fair chance.

Connell got a 45 minute appearance against Hibs in pre season and genuinely looked the part - I’m not saying this means he’s a world beater but he done more than enough to warrant more game time.

Dan Breen likes this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not seen a mention of him any of the reports I've seen so looks unlikely. Bit surprising he's not getting a sniff even at a bounce game.

Looks like the team that started it was:

Bain, Ralston, Welsh, Hjeldi, Diego, Soro, Brown, Henderson, Kadi, Harper, Griffiths

Ntcham came on in the second half is the only other bit I could spot.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I thing he actually just works with Barry coffey in the club bar

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Another of the anyone know where he is brigade?

A quality versatile player that can't get a look in..

Someone who can actually play the deep lying role and get stuck in, with a superb range of passing on him..

Bizzare..

15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Unfit.

FranceCelt and McChiellini.. like this.
  16. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    The players who are not in the first team must just be sitting around watching Netflix and eating pies....

17. TheHappyLoss

Does this guy exist?

18. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He's a professional actor for Celtic TV, he basically just does stretches and runs around cones when Celtic TV are doing a training session piece

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Luca white Cone'll :fear:

Peej, Dannybhoy81 and Dublin Celt like this.
  20. Keano88

No idea why we’ve kept him to sit in the reserves.

Surely getting him out playing week in week out is more important than having him sit in the reserves.

Brown, Soro, McGregor, Ntcham, Turnbull, Christie and Rogic all ahead of him, then we’ve got Ewan Henderson as well..