1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Charly Musonda

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Jan 29, 2018.

Discuss Charly Musonda in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Former Chelsea wonderkid Musonda attracting transfer interest from Mourinho's Roma

Chelsea playmaker Charly Musonda has a host of clubs ready to sign him on a free transfer, with his 10-year spell at Stamford Bridge soon to end.

The 25-year-old is of interest to Roma and Hellas Verona after announcing in December that he would leave Chelsea.

Roma were previously interested in taking him on loan and Jose Mourinho is understood to have built a relationship with the Belgian.

Not only was Musonda once Chelsea's most exciting youngster, but he also was Belgium's next great hope to replace Eden Hazard.

A wonderful first loan spell at Betis, who are also currently monitoring him, only added to the excitement about his potential.

Unfortunately, a couple of bad loans spells were followed by a career-threatening injury sustained at the beginning of a loan at Vitesse that continued into 2021.

Now, Musonda has been fit for almost a year, but Chelsea have opted to release him and have barely used him in their Under-23s.

What has been said?
    Musonda admitted he broke down in tears after when Petr Cech phoned him to say his Chelsea career was over on The Beautiful Game Podcast: "It definitely wasn't my decision [to leave at the end of the season].

"My ambition was always to play for Chelsea and I always said I was either going to leave because I wasn't good enough or if I was told I have to go.

"Obviously having been out for the last two or three years it was a bit difficult with my injury. I did everything I could, I worked as hard as I could to just be fit, to be able to be a part of the first team in pre-season, which was something I did and I was very happy about it.

"I was very optimistic that I was going to be able to train with the first team and be back in the team and then build up my fitness.

"I spoke with Petr Cech and he basically explained to me that the contract, it is what it is. There's one year left and the club won't let you go on loan if you don't sign an extension."

He continued: "My initial talk was simply saying, 'listen, I appreciate the contract, I see where the club is coming from, my initial thinking would be to stay here and be with the team.'

"I don't really care as long as I can show what I can do here, because I came to Chelsea to try and play here.

I spoke to the manager and said I would play here for free. It's not the question of the contract, so I was disappointed I didn't play against Weymouth. [I explained] I will literally play for free this year and if I'm doing well then next year we can talk about [an extension].

"It's not about the money, it's either I'm good enough to play for Chelsea or I'm not good enough to play for Chelsea."

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Didn't realise he was still at Chelsea.

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Wow and he is 25 now.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Was dreadful, I hated him from about the 2nd time I seen him. Was stick thin, no pace, workrate or awareness and thought looking slick was all he needed, him on loan at the huns from Man Utd looks like a replica, albeit with pace but the exact same style.

7. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    You're not good enough to play for Chelsea. :56:

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

If ye canny get in the team against Weymouth something is wrong.

Feel bad for him

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  9. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Disliked him a lot!

Never had the right attitude when he was here

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Chelsea and Celtic flop Charly Musonda has mysteriously gone AWOL just days after joining Zulte Waregem.

The 25-year-old ex-Belgian U21 international was finally released from Chelsea this summer after ten years at the club where he failed to even start a league match.

An 18-month loan spell at Celtic in 2017 was cut short after just six months when he started only two league games.

A succession of injuries ruined further loans at Vitesse Arnhem.

Musonda attempted to resurrect his career at Zulte Waregem this summer after leaving Chelsea.

And he was offered a deal after impressing in training and in a trial match.

However, he never returned to training after the contract offer, with the Belgian top flight club initially insisting he was only absent because of a family matter and would return to sign for them.

But they have now admitted they have no idea where he is.

Now his future remains up-in-the-air after his mystery disappearance.

The club's chief executive, Eddy Cordier said: "When will Charly Musonda return to training? I don't know.

Will he ever come back? No idea.

"I don't know whether we will pull the plug on him because he hasn't been in since he trained a couple of weeks ago and there has been no contact.

"It's more important that we concentrate on the group of players who are here at the club for pre-season."

11. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    What a * waster!

Strange that hes AWOL though :88:

12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just on a person level, hope he is ok. On a professional level, he really is doing himself no favours and could end up leaving the game entirely, pre-maturely.

Get the feeling with this guy it's a bit like another Islam Feruz.

NomDePlum and DonnyCelt like this.
  13. TheHappyLoss

Was hugely excited when he came to Celtic, that wore off pretty quickly.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I thought he had to retire?

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Assist against Zenit was awrite though.

littlekennie likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Levante UD has reached an agreement with Charly Musonda (10/15/1996, Brussels) for the midfielder to become a player for the Levante team until 2024 with the possibility of extending the contract for two more seasons.

Musonda made his professional football debut with Chelsea. Real Betis Balompié was interested in his services and, in the 2016 winter market, the player joined the Betis club on loan. In January 2017, the Belgian footballer left on loan to Celtic Glasgow and in August 2018 to SBV Vitesse. In the month of June of this year, Musonda was released at the end of his contractual relationship with Chelsea.

In his record we find a Scottish Premiership championship (2017/2018) and another of the Scottish Cup (2017/2018). The new Levante UD player has been international with the Belgium Under-15, Under-16, Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 teams.