1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Diego Laxalt!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Oct 5, 2020.

Discuss Diego Laxalt! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hope he gets shown his home city's connection to Celtic.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Uruguay left back Diego Laxalt last night admitted he would love to make his Celtic debut against Rangers next week after sealing a season-long loan from AC Milan.

Laxalt, who moved to Milan from their Serie A rivals Genoa in a £12.5m transfer in 2018, was the only arrival at Parkhead before the close of the summer transfer window yesterday.

The 24-times capped 27-year-old, who can also play on the wing, joins fellow new signings Shane Duffy and Mohamed Elyounoussi, who are also on loan, as well as Albian Ajeti, Vasilis Barkas and David Turnbull in the East End of Glasgow.

Neil Lennon was keen to add to his options on the left side of the park with Boli Bolingoli, who had been disciplined after breaking coronavirus Protocols, departing for Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir last month.

The Scottish champions, who are bidding to win 10-In-A-Row in the 2020/21 campaign, take on their city rivals in the first Premiership game after the international break on Saturday week and the defender is keen to be involved.

"I heard rumours a few days ago but I remained calm about it,” said Laxalt. “Then things happened in the last 24 hours and I was very happy to come to Celtic. It's a great club and I can't wait to get started.

"I learned that Rangers is the next match. I cannot wait to play for Celtic in any match. That game has a big history. I know the clubs are rivals on the field. I am looking forward to playing that game and I am looking forward to having a result.”

Celtic have been drawn in the same group as AC Milan in the Europa League and Laxalt could find himself up against his parent club.

"It's a coincidence that we have been drawn in the group with AC Milan,” he said. "It's a great opportunity here and it doesn't matter who the opposition is.

"My head and heart are at Celtic now and I am looking forward to the opportunity to play. It will be a special game for me because my club is AC Milan but I will need to focus on the game.

“All I am thinking of is Celtic right. That's where all my concentration is. I want to help Celtic now. I am not at AC Milan and all my focus is on doing the best for the club.”

DIEGO Laxalt has revealed he will seek out advice from superstars Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luis Suarez to help him make a major impact at Celtic in the coming months.

Laxalt, who has joined the Glasgow club from AC Milan on a season-long loan, has an impressive curriculum vitae having played in Serie A for the past seven years.

The 27-year-old, who cost the San Siro club £12.5m two years ago, has also represented Uruguay in the World Cup finals.

However, he knos the British game will be a completely new experience and will turn to two of football’s most famous figures for tips on how to shine in Scotland.

He plays alongside Atletico Madrid striker Suarez with his national team and was in the same side as Swedish great Ibrahimovic at Milan.

“Eveything happened so fast so I didn’t get a chance to talk to them, but I know guys like Suarez and Zlatan have played here and I’ll be hoping to speak to them soon,” he said.

“I used to talk to Louis when he was at Liverpool and he always spoke very highly of British football. I’m looking forward to experiencing it for myself. My game is all about intensity so I am hoping it will be suited well for Scotland.

“They are very big personalities. They always want the ball, no matter where they are on the pitch. It’s a great experience being on the ptich with them and sharing a dressing room. I’ve learned so much from them.”

Laxalt added: "I know Celtic are famous across the world because of the trophies they won all over. I know the club has a lot of followers and it's a great atmosphere and ambience.

"I looked to see if there was another Uruguayan player here before and then I was told I was the first. I hope to leave a great image of my country during my time at Celtic.

"I will start training and get to know everyone and all the other players. I want to get good results to achieve the objectives of the team.I will give my maximum in every game I play and I want to win titles. That requires a lot of work and I will do that in every game.

"I have been playing in the last few years as a left-back and I always like to leave everything on the pitch.

"My main characteristics are my intensity and my pace. I will do everything to help my team-mates and get the results we want.”

Laxalt, who has won 24 caps for his country, feels that his experience of international football will be invaluable at Celtic.

"The World Cup was a big stage and it was a unique and good experience for me,” he said. "Each game helped me develop as a player and I will keep trying to do that.

"I will honestly give everything in every game and will help my team-mates and do it for the fans.”

Laxalt played alongside Olivier Ntcham at Genoa and feels the presence of the French midfielder will him to settle straight in.

He saw Celtic in action against Lazio in the Europa League last season – Neil Lennon’s side won both of their matches against the Rome club – and is hoping they can do well again in the competition this term.

"I played with Olivier for two years in Genoa and I was happy to learn he is here,” he said. “I can't wait to see him and play with him again. He is a great player and a great person.

"I remember the Celtic wins over Lazio because we follow the Europa League in Italy. It was big wins but we have to take each game at a time in this season's competition. It's a long way to go and an arduous road for the team to get far.

Laxalt continued: "It's a coincidence that we have been drawn in the group with AC Milan,” he said. "It's a great opportunity here and it doesn't matter who the opposition is.

"My head and heart are at Celtic now and I am looking forward to the opportunity to play. It will be a special game for me because my club is AC Milan but I will need to focus on the game.

“All I am thinking of is Celtic right. That's where all my concentration is. I want to help Celtic now. I am not at AC Milan and all my focus is on doing the best for the club.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Welcome. Aboard.

Glad he's not on International duty, especially with them. Playing in altitude.

Guess the only thing being he ain't featured for Milan, so not much game time minus any bounce games that may have been had.

4. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
  5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Not happy with how this deal went down. Where were the weeks of speculation, where were the days of drawn out negotiations.

* hour.

6. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Lovechild of Skrillex and Ugly Betty there.

7. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    After his rating on FIFA.

8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
  9. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Viva la Quinta Brigada

10. JamesM09

It’s definitely a case of our LWB situation coming up in casual conversation between Lawwell and the AC equivalent a few days ago.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NL on Laxalt: “He’s a very good defender. He’s got great quality on the ball. He’s got great desire to make things happen but I like his tenacity more than anything else. He refuses to get beat or give the ball up, he’s a quality player.”

NL on Laxalt: “As far as I’m aware, he will be available to play against Milan. He’s also fit and available to play in our upcoming games.”

NL on Laxalt: “I admire him very much. Watched him at the World Cup and thought he was outstanding, playing in a great Uruguay team and looked comfortable. We’ve been tracking him for a long time. He’s very happy to be here. He will add more quality & inspiration to the team.”

Tommy25 and Crilly like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon revealed he tried to get Laxalt last year after being impressed with his performances in the 2018 World Cup.

He said: "He's very good defender and he's got great quality on the ball.

"He had an outstanding World Cup playing in a very good Uruguayan team with great players and he looked very comfortable in that company.

"We tried to get him in this time last year but couldn't do it.

"But I've been a big admirer of his for a long time so to get that deal over the line is fantastic business by the board.

"The player looks really happy to be here having spoken to him last night and he will add more quality and inspiration to the team.'

Tommy25 and Mr Shelby like this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

This guy has been worth his loan already before he's even kicked a ball. Some of the meme's the past few days have been absolutely tremendous.

Liam Scales and NomDePlum like this.
  15. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I really hope he's thrown in the deep end now against sevco.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Hes basically everything that wee Taylor unfortunately isn’t

Tommy25 and McChiellini.. like this.
  18. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    A perm deal probably better than his hairstyle just now mate

19. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Is he in the Uruguay squad tonight?

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye mate jumped on a jumbo after Celtic training.