1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CountyDownFaithful

Been thinking for a while that 4-3-3 might suit us but we’d definitely need a more attacking full back than Taylor to provide more width and threat down that flank.

I think playing on the left of a midfield 3 would bring out the best in Ntcham. He seems to drift towards the left anyway and with him playing deeper he’d have the pitch infront of him to play passes. It doesn’t suit him playing in the 10 and receiving the ball with his back to the goal.

DragQueenHoops and JC Anton like this.
  2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think whatever personnel are used it should be a

4-1- something

RB CB CB LB
    DCM
    Too many times with 3-5-2 we have 3 at the back and Broony floating about there too, it's needless.

Let the full backs bomb on and the DCM can cover in front of the 2 CBs (i.e. make up 3 at the back)

3. DragQueenHoops

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I would like to see us try the 442 diamond like we did against Partick.

Don't think Brown will be dropped but having Frimpong Rogic/Elyounoussi Christie Eddie and Calmac will give us more than enough creativity that we've been lacking.

We also don't have to have Taylor pushing as high up on the left as he does. Id prefer to see him sit a bit and let Eddie and Calmac work the left channel with Rogic to act as a pivot. Plus he hasn't the pace for the overlap.

I feel Taylor is a similar style of player to Tagliafico who doesn't have pace either and usually sits deep and central for a full back.

Eddie Ajeti
    Rogic
    Calmac Brown Christie
    Taylor Bitton Duffy Frimpong
    Barkas

Marty McFly likes this.
  4. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Purely based on domestic games I would like us to play a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 base formation. Would prefer a 4-2-3-1 base formation in Europe.

[​IMG]

In terms of the domestic game. We have far too much quality in midfield and good options up front.

Brown, Rogic, Turnbull, McGregor, Ntcham, Forrest, Mo El, Christie, Ajeti, Eddie, Klimala, Griffiths,

The variety of combinations with what we have available is tremendous.

Wide areas you can swap between wingers/ wide forwards like Forrest and Mo El to full backs like Frimpong and Taylor. Depending on the situation.

For me the biggest thing is getting enough bodies or threats in the attacking areas. If a St Mirren wants play 5 at the back, then get 3 forwards up against the main defensive line. Stretch the back line a bit. Have one central player and one either side of the centre halfs and play in the "half spaces"( :asshole2:). Have the width from deeper (the two wide in the midfield 4) and crosses into the box with more than one target to find. Downside, you probably cause a bit more congestion.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think we are far too cautious at present. Maybe because we aren't settled in defence.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  5. DuffyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov/Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    lonesome boatman
    Personnel wise we're just more suited to a back 4 at the moment, personally a fan of 3-5-2 buts its no working, wee need a busy midfield with high intensity running, which we've been lacking, even though some... of the players there are more than capable. A lynchpin at center mid who can spray it about and pace of the wings and the rest takes care of itself.. in my under qualified mind.

Marty McFly likes this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Whatever tactical formation is adopted, players must be played in their proper position otherwise we won't function properly.

7. scott87

We need to get Rogic back in the team. Guy has scored some important goals over the years and offers something a bit different. Get him in for Hibs

DragQueenHoops and Metrobhoy like this.
  8. Foley1888

I agree with the above but two issues we have are, our LB isn’t capable of properly providing the width required in attack. The second our DCM hasn’t got the legs to drop in and cover adequately.

I would be tempted to try Elhamed on the left or Frimpong with Elhamed on the right, as not convinced we are going to get a good option in there.

Another requirement for me would be at least two upfront as teams have completely crowded Eddy out this season and he then drops off leaving us with no focal point to our attack. It should be Eddy and Ajeti.

Marty McFly likes this.
  9. DragQueenHoops

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Just re-watched the Riga game and a few of our games there today. I just want to highlight my concerns about our pressing:

We seem to only press the man with the ball and leave the options for him to pass to open. We always press and they've time to pick passes.
    I believe we should be trying to limit opposition play more, by our players know where he's likely to pass to next and have this option covered to turnover the ball.

Also, I have concerns about letting teams play out from the back. We should have a better plan for teams that do. For example v Rangers, Goldson is good at forward passing therefore at goalkicks I feel he should be mark and let Rangers play through Helander/Barisic on the left wing. This would limit their ability to build from the back, especially as Barisic is very one footed and is weaker and slower than Tav. We can't stop teams playing out from the back, but we should be allowing them to do so on our terms.

For example, I would ask our players to press teams very aggressively out wide, as this would result easier turnovers as we could own them in using the sideline. Plus a lot of our pace is in wide players so this could work to our benefit.

Finally, I just want to say in terms of the high press. Interceptions are kings. Our forwards are not making enough interceptions they're currently all registering well under half per game. This highlights that were not pressure aggressively enough and forcing poor passes and errors or reading the game wrong and pressing the wrong triggers (poor touches, back passes)

Additionally, I see players like Christie and McGregor sometimes pressing too much and just on their own trying to turn over possession but instead leaving space free to be attacked.

10. CountyDownFaithful

Good result and performance today.

Does anyone else think 3-5-2 exposes our midfield a bit? Feel like when Taylor and Frimpong drop in there is loads of space for the opposition to create overloads in wide positions. You can see McGregor gets dragged out to the left a lot to support Taylor and likewise Christie gets dragged out to the right to support Frimpong, and I think it leaves Brown a bit vulnerable in the middle of the park.

Just an observation from the last few games. I like 3-5-2 but not sure we have the players for it at the minute.

11. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Two up top

Properly

Like, * 2, up top

Not 1 and 1, 1 and floaty hover quista 10.5 whatever

Two.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    This man knows :50:

Marty McFly likes this.
  13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Mentioned this in the match thread when people say the 3-5-2 isn’t working - we haven’t really played a 3-5-2. We’ve stuck with a 3-5-1-1 with our only main striker effectively acting as a floating forward.

As much as Eddy is our best forward (despite the * form) we should always have one of Ajeti, Griff or Klimala on the pitch. They play on the shoulder of the last man and stretch the pitch, giving everyone an extra yard of space.

Marty McFly likes this.
  14. DragQueenHoops

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Aye hard to disagree with the half forward role of Ely or whoever it is. I think it takes up spaces that McGregor and Christie like to move into and chokes our attacks

15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    We need to get back to basics. A best 11 that we stick to, two up top, no false 9’s or * like that.

3-5-2
    GK - torn in this but would honestly give Bain a chance
    CB - Julien
    CB - Bitton
    CB - Ajer
    RWB - Frimpong
    LWB - Laxalt
    CM - Brown
    CM - McGregor
    AM - Christie
    CF - Edourd
    CF - Griffiths (going with him over Ajeti based on those two being the two that ended last season, and played our best football under Lennon)

4-5-1
    GK - Bain
    RB - Frimpong
    CB - Ajer
    CB - Julien
    LB - Laxalt
    CM - Brown
    CM - McGregor
    AM - Christie
    LW - Mo
    RW - Forrest
    CF - Edouard or Ajeti

3-5-2 is my preferred option but you need to do it properly. No forcing in Mo as a second striker.

Fully87 likes this.
  16. CountyDownFaithful

Actual sickens me how incompetent our manager seems to be when it comes to creating an effective game plan.

17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

For me it’s more the fact he doesn’t know how to change it during a game. Our Plan A is dominate the ball and play with pace, when we don’t we are just predictable and he doesn’t know how to change that.

We could of really done with big target man up front for a plan B, since when we play slow the defenders just start lumping it long.

Boruc17 likes this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What annoys me is too often our sitting midfielders sit too much, or we have an extra player in there should I say.

We have Brown and McGregor end up playing within 10 yards of each other, and today Ntcham was dropping in there too, so we had * 3 of them and * all in front to play with. In the 2nd half there were times I thought Cal was playing left back.

Get back to a proper 2 up top, so they can both stay up there and then get 2 attacking midfielders squeezing up too. Surely Brown can manage on his own sitting.

19. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    The huns, every time we got the ball reverted to 2 banks of 3 then a 4. We should be missing the midfield out and playing the ball over the top. Griff playing off klimala could have worked

20. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Been saying for a while and will probably keep saying... wing backs does not work unless you’ve got class players such as tierney. Need to go back to basics with proper wingers running at defences