1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

UEFA Europa League Qualification 2020/21

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by MickeyyMack, Aug 27, 2020.

Discuss UEFA Europa League Qualification 2020/21 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That could definitely have been worse.

2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Those would have been 3 amazing away ties to travel to if the fans were allowed in. Possibly one of the best away day groups we’ve had this century. Typical.

3. wanmadtim Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka - Brown - Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Personally couldn't give a monkeys about the Europa, an interesting sideshow at best for me. 10IAR is my only concern. I'm 64 witnessed our first 9IAR....This most likely is my last chance to see a 10IAR before I snuff it. COYBIG!!

johnboy19 and jamesfr like this.
  4. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    Great in theory but I can't see edoaurd and the likes being happy when they are told "sorry you aren't playing v AC in the San siro this Thursday, we need you ready to go for Ross county away on the Sunday"

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

5. jamesfr

We can win that

6. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Considering we were in pot one, that’s a very tough draw, however it’s certainly not insurmountable.

Sparta Prague were a good team to get out of the second pot, while Milan and Lille aren’t any better than Lazio and Rennes were last year.

Our priority (much like Milan and Lille) should be domestic football this season. From that perspective it’s a great group in terms of very minimal travelling and recovery times.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  7. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Prague would have been a class away Day.

HoopyT and McGrory1888 like this.
  8. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    That's a champions league group a few years ago.
    Shows how times have changed

9. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Very tough draw yet again, BUT since we tend to stumble against the 'moderate' teams maybe it will help motivate our team.

Zlatan :( just what we dont need with our defence playing the way they are.

Time for our players to get highly motivated and start hitting some form.

If Paradise was full for these games then I would be more confident. Our players definitely seem to miss the crowds.

Like many others, I just want the league this year at all costs. If CL is straight in at group stage then our board really need to release the purse strings..

Only plus point in being in the toughest group in the draw is that these teams will not be sitting in and accepting a draw.. they will look at our recent form and results and fancy 3 points.. this could be a good thing if we start playing to our capabilities.

Of all the seasons to have no fans in the ground it would have to be this one. Really need to take 3 points on 17 Oct and start putting some daylight between us and the undead.. who got an easy draw and seem to have got some confidence this season.

Oh, as well as the league i want last years Scottish Cup for the quadruple treble.

10. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Arent the French letting fans in again? Im also not so sure, Italy are as well. With a stadium the size of the San Siro, it couldnt be that difficult. Might be the last time to see us play there as well.

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd use it to swap the squad around.

Awful draw in regards to qualifying, very little chance of it. Milan are on the up, their manager has done that good a job they blanked the guy that was favourite.

Lille are a real good side, the worst possible. Pot 4.

I'm hoping we use the squad and manage for the league, that is the priority.

We'll be dicing with the devil if we play on a Thursday and then go with a similar team at the weekend.

12. Jeremie Frimpong

Our record in the Europa League proper (P:44 W:12 D:14 L:18) suggests that the games are anything but easy; the suggestion that our 'B team' is good enough to compete in it is moronic.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Valhalla likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We won’t be playing under strength sides in Europe, who the * do folk think we are? Jesus Christ.

As for the draw, a glamour group that wouldn’t be out of place in the Champions League. Absolutely gutted I won’t be getting to go to Prague :54:

14. Foley1888

Anything that happens this season doesn’t impact next season anyway, it is the season after 22/23 not 21/22. That’s why we don’t have 2 spots in CL qualifiers this year but will next.

The argument was Turkey who are 11th currently have two teams left in Europe Istanbul B (Boli’s new team) and Sivasspor who are pot 4 in EL. So media are basically banking on us and them to do better in our results than the Turks and get enough points to overtake them.

Austria, the next team above that in 10th still have 3 clubs in Europe. So will be hard to catch but 11th would be good enough if the team who win the CL are already qualified like what happened with Ajax this year.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Half the teams in it use weakened teams. The games are pish and in slow motion.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Exactly what you want, testing and glamorous..

Will be excellent experience.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Which makes our record even worse.

18. apevrak

I like the look of this draw. All the clubs in the group looks like they can take points off each other on a good day.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Piece of nonsense generalisation.

20. Bonobhoy

I dont understand people in here.

We got pumped out to Fenervaros,struggled against Riga and struggled also against Sarajevo,now they have us competing and winning in a group with Milan,Lille and Prague :43:

Glamour ties or not,unless we sort oursleves out in the next 2 weeks we will get * leathered in that group.

Lenny's inability to change on domestic and european front is frightening,along with players all over the place like Eddie/Christie/Forrest,and then throw in injuries like Ajeti and the Covid issues will is about to turn even uglier in the next few months.

Im happy for a majority of you to get the big teams and hope it works out for us,i just got a massive feeling this is going to bite us on our * for the 10 here.......unless as stated the board and Lenny get this fixed asap,we need some more players and for the ones we have to start firing up now,so many games to come up and we surely cant keep the same players playing over and over without change.

Agreed that the teams we have drawn aint what they used to be,but they are far far superior to the teams we just struggled with getting here.

I really hope this might fire us up finally and we can go on to win the treble from last season and the 10th league this season in style and not a slog across the line,maybe the news with this draw changes the mentality now.

Lewis Kerr likes this.