1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 2, 2020.

Discuss Celtic & Coronavirus and competitions! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thanks for the info.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  2. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    They will.....it's the nature of the beast

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Just a thought, but will Celtic really be losing much money just now?

Okay the individual tickets sold on match day are not being sold but 52,000 season tickets sold surely cement the financial security. In addition to this though, the stadium overheads for running a match are massively reduced or non-existent I.e. stewards, polis, lights etc.

4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Could you send me a PM about that, mate? I'd really like to know what.

5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, we're losing a lot - mark up on the food is huge, merchandise and match day tickets..

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Plenty.

Individual match tickets as you've said, Corporate season tickets, Stadium Tours, Matchday food & merch sales, reimbursement of licence fees to Ladbrokes & Domino's to sell on-site, bar income from the Kerrydale Suite pre and post match.

Some of it will be offset by a drop in Matchday outgoings like stewarding and policing but everything above is a profit-making part of the business and every one of them is taken out the equation while the Stadium is shut to fans.

7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Fair points. I wasn’t even thinking about Dominos/Ladbrokes and the stadium tours, although I would suspect that would be a drop in the ocean comparatively.

Did no corporate folk get season tickets/purchase their box this year? I thought they would be even more inclined to keep their boxes/seats incase they go to the back of the queue.

Food/booze and merch are the big ones, aye. Although I suspect that the quality and range of what Adidas have brought out might have offset that with online sales potentially. Online sales in all retail environments > in-store sales and thats very likely been accelerated for Celtic as well during the pandemic.

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    @Ciaran_67 i worked out approx £400,000 to £500,000 after deduction of match day costs celtic are losing on as the bhoys above have said but not limited too:

corporate sales
    6,500 match day tickets
    Kiosk sales
    Celtic superstore revenue
    Programmes and souvenirs

we aren’t the only club though.

how the MD of rainjurz can come out and say “we have sold all our season books plus all out corporate boxes for the full season” but yet nobody questioned this is beyond me. All businesses tightening their belts but yet some have apparently payed £5,000 per match for a box with corporate hospitality for matches that haven’t or don’t look like they will take place with crowds?!?!?

Even Aberdeen CEO has said they haven’t sold any corporate packages upto and including their 10th home match of the season!

9. Jeremie Frimpong

No one who bought a season-ticket this season was under any illusions about the risk involved.

I think that anyone who expected to be sitting in Celtic Park this year was extremely naïve.

10. Foley1888

On corporate is this different to the hospitality sales as those sold out along with Season ticket sales? I thought the number of STs this year was closer to 55k rather than 52k? Not sure the official number was published.

However we are losing significant funds if looking at the 18/19 season where we made Europa last 32 as a comparator. With our wage bill at the time £56m and operating expenses £30m, if it hadn’t been for the £8m player trading profit and Rodgers £8.8m money we would have made a loss of £5.5m instead of a £11.3m profit.

Our revenue is made up of threes streams merchandise, football ops and stadium and media and commercial. This is supplemented by player trading.

We made £18m on merchandise, which I would expect us to at least hit this with the Adidas deal.

On football ops and stadium we made £43m that season, which included season tickets, match day, tours, food, EL tickets. This season we will get season tickets but as things stand we will not get anything else for the foreseeable so will lose between £12-£15m on ticket sales from EL group packages, £5-6m, last 32 £1.5m to £2m then the revenue from match day as mentioned above. Again costs will be down on stewarding etc but not probably by the same magnitude.

The other is commercial and TV this was £22m in 18/19 (but was £40m the season before with CL hence why getting to groups was so important this year). The £22m was based on winning the treble for prize money, TV deal, EL last 32 prize money. I can’t see us doing any better than the £22m now we are out CL.

So taking the numbers above say our expenses are down to £20m and wages are nearer £50m then we still need to make £70m revenue just to be even.

As things stand we have also spent ~£14m on transfers with only £1.3m incoming then we are -£12.7m, so would need £82.7m, which we aren’t going to get without player sales.

This isn’t considering the impact of refunds at the end of last year on how much of the £33m we had in the bank in the interim accounts in December 19. The new full accounts for 19/20 will be due soon which will highlight how much was lost from Mid March to The end of June.

Business insurance may cover some of this as there was a recent ruling highlighting insurance companies refusing have to pay out on COVID losses as not doing so was not valid.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Corporate/hospitality are separated.
    Max we can sell is 53,000 standard ST.
    We have brought in over more than £1.3m in fees by time you include loan fees for players who have gone out.
    our wage bill will be even lower our £56m is for the full group so every member of staff bear in mind we had almost everyone on furlough and still have staff on the scheme.
    We will eclipse the £18m for Merch.
    We will run at a loss this season unless we do 1 of two things a sale or call up cash reserves from the money in the bank.

Foley1888 likes this.
  12. Foley1888

I knew they were capped but couldn’t remember the number.

I am hoping we do on merchandise as things seem to have gone well so far unlike those on the other side of the city.

Yeah that is true also on wages regarding Furlough, probably more importantly there were wage cuts as well. As the vast majority of the £56m at least ~£40m at will be players and management you would guess who were not on Furlough.

Granted on loan fees but I can’t see them being substantial on the likes of Bayo, Shved, Hendry etc.

On a sale the other situation would be if Rogic went for the £3-4M and Dembele left Lyon generating another £4m then that would be like a significant fee between them probably still not enough but better than nothing.

Being fair most companies and certainly football clubs will be making a loss this year as long as it is a relatively small one, which can easily be covered by cash at the bank then we will be fine.

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    If we don’t get fans back say after Christmas I think Scottish football is done, yes we will survive but the teams we play against might not.

Seán Mac D and richardm like this.
  14. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not for the first time I get the impression you deliberately miss the point....

15. Foley1888

I think you are spot on here, without support a number of these clubs will go to the wall. They are all trying their best with TV offerings etc but some will inevitably be on the brink.

The harsh reality is I cannot see crowds of a sufficient size if any at all being back in grounds by then. We have already seen the lack of interest in football from Government and they are pretty skint too, so cannot see support forthcoming from them.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  16. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You are right, we are a different case from everyone else bar possibly Sevco as we have assets in terms of players we can sell if things got really bad, other however particularly in the leagues below Premier would have stood more chance of surviving if the season had been mothballed, the whole reason they were due to start next month was they hoped to have fans in by then, without fans they are actually operating at a loss playing, I personally don’t think heaps will go bust but some clearly will and let’s not forget many of those clubs are only where they are now due to the payout they received from James Anderson, worrying times indeed

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I agree as well.

Said on the other thread but if I was a director of a lower League club that only has crowds in the hundreds as it is and the Scottish Government block them from crowds this season then I'd be taking legal action.

All the science points to the chance of transmission being much lower outdoors than indoors, so how can they say 100s of people indoors in a bingo hall or pub is fine but 100s outdoors in a football stadium isn't?

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

There’s clubs down south now looking at having corporate events in their stadium hospitality setting indoors with the curtains closed whilst the game goes on behind those curtains.

So it’s cool to mingle and booze and have lunch crammed into the indoor section of the stadium a metre and less apart with no mask on from people where the risk is massively increased but you can’t sit outside 2m apart wearing a mask where the risk has been proven to be minimal. For reasons no one is able to articulate.

It is beyond comprehension, completely and utterly bonkers.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

How is Belgrade at this time of year?

20. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo