1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. apevrak

He could easily let Ntcham come on for Christie after the break. Instead he let Turnbull show what he's good for. Starting Moi up top was a stroke of genius. Letting Bitton and Frimpong play together on the right was smart, they where linking up great the whole game causing all sorts of trouble. The Hibs wings, who's created most of their goals this season was neutralised.

I've been highly critical of Lenny lately, but today he deserves credit for how he set the team up.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I do want to give credit where it is due, but Frimpong and Bitton is enforced, until Forrest and Julien are back and proves he picks the right players, we can't praise him too much based on the stupidity of the selections previously.
    Ely played well, great goal, but in a 352 a genius move would have been starting two strikers - we had 3 on the bench.

Sounds harsh I know, but after the past 5 weeks or so, I can only offer so much credit for today, credit is deserved as it was a good performance and the players in the side proved their worth - just got to wait and see if Lennon sticks by the players who have done this, or returns to type when others are back fit.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I do think he's getting a bit carried away with his comments tho.. :56:

Some of our defending was a bit last gasp for my liking.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's definitely milking it and trying to give the player's a pat on the back..

It was our best performance for a long while. That second 45 * over anything else this season by a long way..

martin_d and JC Anton like this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye definitely mate, I said really happy for him.

Performance was good.. :50:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Hope he’s starting to find his best 11. Frimpong should be a starter. Turnbull probably given him a headache though. A good one.

8. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Hope he sees that today we play much better without Ntcham and Brown in the same team

Mickmac likes this.
  9. apevrak

I think it's harsh, but I'm understanding where you're coming from. I don't think Frimpong or Bitton was enforced. Granted, we don't have much alternatives on the right hand side, but it could have been Elhamed playing instead of Bitton at the right CB or instead of Frimpong at the RWB. Today he hit the nail on the head and we where finally playing our brand of fast and free flowing football. I still think he got the knife over his head though, a * up against Sarajevo and serious questions needs to be asked. Hopefully he'll build from this match, wipe the floor with Sarajevo and give the huns the hiding they deserve.

DragQueenHoops and Peej like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

He has taken a lot of criticism in the last few month - most of it justified - if he's accountable and responsible for that then be surely has to be accountable and responsible when it goes right? That's being objective.

His hand may have been forced with Frimpong and Bitton, although he did drop Ajer for Bitton for a few games and his game has went up a few levels since then; but he also picked a team that many were unhappy at, myself included.

Most wanted Broony dropped, he had a stormer. Probably our 2nd best player after Frimpong.

Most wanted 2 strikers but when Eddie came on he didn't look interested again; half-arsed pressing, lack of conviction when going for 50/50s and lost possession a number of times.

Lennon opted to play Ely ahead of him and I thought Ely was superb, linked well, pressed all the time and scored a great goal.

When he's taken those decisions and we've comfortably beaten a Hibs side that have challenged every team they've played so far, I don't see how he can receive anything other than praise.

It wasn't faultless but it was much, much better than what we've seen so far.

11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I get that, I do and praise/credit for a good game today. But we would be fickle as other groups of support if we all keep flip flopping with praise/criticism of him/team if we go for high to low every other game and do not look at the whole.

Don't get me wrong, totally credit where its needed, but he has a lot to prove that he's done it for the correct reasons. Which we all do hope is the case going forward.

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    He has taken his comments a bit far but I hope it's for the benefit of boosting the teams confidence, which has been needing a boost

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think that's flip flopping at all, it's being objective.

If someone does something wrong, criticise constructively. If they do something well, praise them.

I'm not saying we should be going over the top to gush praise over Lennon for today. It was a professional performance that still had room for improvement but overall, it was a job well done.

14. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

Room for improvement but way better today. Just need to do that on a more consistent basis. Sucks that Ajeti is out as I think he offers us a lot.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Our pressing was much better today when he was instigating it..

First goal was due to it..

A massige source of our goals has always been forcing diddy defender's in to mistakes. We've been miles off that..

Was much improved and hopefully worked on..

Turnbull was also pressing them in their own box second half..

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. Sgt Neppers*

Much better today. Credit where it's due. Turnbull introduction was enforced but boy looks a player. Only thing is, would have liked to seen Soro on earlier for Brown. Feel he can offer a lot so would be good to get him up to speed and confidence up. Now same Thursday please.

17. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

am i right in thinking we played ntcham for a while a couple of seasons ago without brown in the side think he may have been injured or suspended or something and we played quite well

ntcham was charging about strong as * on the ball and had great range of passing and skill

hes a player when he wants to be but has declined quite badly i think

Britwell bhoy likes this.
  18. Onefootwonder

Lennon has been exaggerating every performance lately. We were good in parts today, but still far too slack for a lot of it. The first half we were shaky numerous times.

Is anyone else concerned with the lack of emotion from the players?

I appreciate there is no crowds or atmosphere, but I don't want to see vital goals greeted with barely a smile.

19. joemc

Maybe its in regards to * spoken about them recently , the have circled the wagons and are showing focus ,fight , determination to prove the doupters wrong .

20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I think the lack of celebrating is down to the fact we really are expected to beat these teams like Hibs, St Mirren, Livingston. I like the fact when we score there isnt cartwheels etc... against the huns is a different story or in Europe..

I played for an Irish team in Canada a few years ago and we started off in the bottom league, we went 2 seasons unbeaten hammering teams, it's hard to celebrate too much when you are expected to win and your focus is just win and in our case climb the leagues.. bit different for Celtic but the focus is still just win, win win...