1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryan Christie

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by LloydsGamble, Aug 28, 2015.

Discuss Ryan Christie in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Also we should be getting him signed to a new deal asap. Will be another armstrong scenario if we dont.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

His stats are unreal.

Rydo1888* and Keano88 like this.
  3. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Wonder if the same people will be shouting for a ban on sibbald

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He meant to do him. Was a rush of blood and he's booted * out him..

Even if he was genuinely going to smash the ball, he'd have been putting it out for a corner on the halfway line..

Outrageous challenge how he went in. Wasn't just a nick or slightly mistimed..

Artorias likes this.
  5. Foley1888

I said that watching the game yesterday, very similar challenges the studs may not have been up but I would argue Sibbald’s follow through was probably wilder.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Was it not him that passed to McGregor? And of course it was Taylor, my bad.

I was still pished watching the game :56:

dbhoy72 likes this.
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Nah Ajeti passed to McGregor. Still, a goal and an assist is good going

Dan Breen, Crilly and Liam Scales like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question that should have been a straight red card and it is fair to say given it was early in the second half the fact it was not given kept them alive in the game.

Dan Breen and McChiellini.. like this.
  10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I know he was involved in the winner and his stats don't lie, but I deffo liked the old Christie more than this one..

The one who was a box to box, selfless runner who wasn't as greedy and thought of his self as main man going for all the glory..

I don't know if it's his da, agent or simply just the fact that he's our number 10....but it's annoying..

11. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye defo not the same player.

I actually thought he put a. Couple. Of decent crosses in tonight, bit like Forrest one, but for me his set pieces are * mostly, tries too many shots and does some crazy *.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That one for Taylor was top notch now you mention crosses as it goes..

13. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    In fairness to Christie, he’s constantly being shifted about different roles in the team by the manager. The one thing Lennon hasn’t done is play him as a box to box midfielder (or an “8” if you will), which I agree with you is his best position.

Far too often recently there’s been very little creativity in the team besides Christie. When he plays as a 10, we’re consistently playing with a goalkeeper, three centre backs, a very defensive midfielder, a very defensive minded “LWB”, McGregor being utilised too deep to impact the game offensively, Forrest miles off form... that only really leaves the two strikers, who aren’t getting enough supply. When he plays as a striker, he’s dropping too deep trying to create because it’s not happening elsewhere. Yes, he’s frustrating at times and I’ve stated before that I think he needs to calm it down and keep it simple more often, but the onus is on him and he’s almost being forced into constantly forcing the issue in my opinion.

For me, to get the best out of our current squad our midfield should be a triangle with one 6 (Brown/McGregor/Soro) and two 8s (McGregor/Christie/Ntcham/Turnbull) who have the freedom to play box to box and create. Lennon is shoehorning players into a system that doesn’t fit, as frankly none of those players are really a “10”.

Too many people jump to the conclusion that 3-5-2 is a more attacking formation than 4–5-1, but that’s just not necessarily true. It depends massively on the players and roles involved. For example, a 4-5-1 with Frimpong and a (new) attack minded left back as your full backs gives you 7 attack minded players capable of getting into creative areas (everyone but the keeper, centre backs and Brown), whereas right now we’re playing a defensive 3-5-2 which only contains 3 (4 at a push) attack minded players (Christie, a striker or two and an off form Forrest or Frimpong), with McGregor being utilised too deep to impact the game offensively.

Like practically everyone just now, Christie could be doing better. However I just really don’t think the tactics are helping at all.

(Sorry btw, this turned into a bit of a rant which is in no way aimed at you :50:)

LloydsGamble and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    He’s still a very important player for sure but he’s been doing my box in this year.

15. Zanderama

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ALL OF THEM!!!!
    He keeps trying World Cup Passes, he needs to go back to basics. Back to the Duracell bunny he was

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s probably as much of a predicament as Brown just now. You can’t just discard his goals and assists yet you can’t overlook the fact his style of play can leave you out of shape and at times out of position in various areas.

Ideally he’s played box to box but whilst Calmac is a guaranteed starter every week, it looks like Brown is (despite the fact he shouldn’t be at this point) and Ntcham is playing every game there’s no central midfield slot available so he’s playing wide or as a false 9 in the current set up. Both of which aren’t his position.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think that’s why we’ve seen him further forward, almost in a free role recently. He’s effective, and he produces, but he can do more and needs to do more. I 100% think if you told McGregor to do his role just now he could do those numbers, but sometimes a bit of sacrifice for the team gets better results. His pass for Eddy in the 2-1 RB game is something I don’t think he’d do just now

He works his baws off so it’s not like he’s mega selfish, but a certain amount of awareness is out of his game just now I think.

18. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Agree he is much better as an 8 rather than a 10, but he's not been played there enough, similar to Armstrong he was at his best as a box to box rather than further up linking with the striker.

The system also doesn't suit him though as much as 4231, he's covering out wide a lot more in the 352 rather than the working back centrally then making runs into the channels.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  19. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just looks to me he is being played out of position, just to accommodate Brown. He is a box to box midfield, sure he can do a job as a 10 or a right winger, but he should be played in his best position.
    Has he ever played the RWB role when we got 3 at the back?

McChiellini.. likes this.
  20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member