1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

6 games in...

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Sep 17, 2020.

Discuss 6 games in... in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    The old adage that being able to win ugly at times is the mark of champions is certainly a useful one.

But what is also true is that routinely scrapping wins against poor opposition is not how league's are won. Its how they're lost. à la sevco two seasons in a row.

Anyone choosing to ignore the major issues surrounding early season performances in lieu of box ticking is watching a pot boil over and saying "well at least it's still cooking".

We finished last season before lockdown a team on fire. Any domestic side side facing us was like putting a drunk James Cordon in the ring with a 25 year old Manny Pacquiao. No one could cope with our speed, our aggression, our dynamism. A lockdown later we look like a newly formed side with a new manager... Everyone waiting for it to click.

The lack of fans at games is no doubt a considerable factor. There's no wall of sound to push the side forward. But it's not an excuse.

Yes we just won. Yes we've a game at hand and a more than decent chance to go top this weekend. And yes... I'm a panty wetter. My question is why the * aren't more of us? This our biggest season in decades.

The issues are plain as day. No one is debating what might or might not be going wrong for us to put is such turgid, lethargic and twitchy first half showings;

Brown needs dropped, or at the very least, subbed on a regular basis. He just not there. Our leader yes. A club legend yes. But an invaluable contributor on the park so far this season... No.

The James Forest that the Snake rejuvenated and had skinning players with ease is now posted AWOL. He's currently playing like someone afraid to catch an injury, or someone looking for the door quite frankly.

Christie is another. For all his endeavour and intermittent moments of brilliance sometimes I wonder if Ryan Christie plays for Celtic football club of if Ryan Christie plays for Charlie Christie promotions. He's currently performing like a school boy in Sunday league who's daddy won't take him for ice cream if he doesn't score a worldy. I also don't buy the "he just had two assists and won us a penalty". This alludes to fallacy that no other player in hoops can do either. Would I drop him? No not yet. But it certainly wouldn't stop me dragging him into the coach's office by the ear and show him a highlight reel of his current "style" of play and sending him back to training with his cap in his hands.

And then there's Taylor. A mid table spfl player if ever I saw one. He is quite simply not good enough. Harsh but true. There's little suspicion from anyone that Taylor is any way disinterested or even lazy. Its exactly the opposite. Watching him scream to the sky last night when he tried to collect a long ball and it went into touch was as telling as anything. He's trying his best, unfortunately for him and us, his best just isn't good enough. Watching Taylor run 3 year yards, get stopped by a single opposition player, turn around and pass it back 6 yards is becoming a frustrating monotony that is stifling our attack and knocking our midfield out of sync, effectively inviting the opposition to press us high and put us under needless preasurre. Its a major issue that is more than problematic.

At the centre of all this is Neil Lennon. His bizarre comments after last night's game are another in an increasingly worrying long list baffling statements and head scratching personnel line ups. I don't for a second buy that Lennon is not a good manager. He is. But the pragmatist of the past seems to have been abducted by alien body snatchers and replaced by a rookie determined to unnecessarily fiddle about with formations and personnel, whilst ridiculously making sure the old guard always get 90 minutes.

This thread isn't so much a rant as it is a form of therapy if you like. As a self proclaimed "panty wetter" I'm very very concerned that we are needlessly gambling with greatness here.

Only 6 games in? Yes.

But this season EVERY game should be a cup final. Something's gotta give.

2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    At the moment, my biggest worry is which of our first team players might be sold before the window closes. It’s public knowledge that we have some players who want to leave and the CL exit doesn’t help with enticing them to stay. Further to that, following Lennon’s post match comments, I’m also worried our incoming business is done. We need a left back and I’d like another winger and centre back in.

Forrest and Christie do deserve credit for their game winning contributions last night, but their form hasn’t been good so far this season. In a 352 at the moment, I’d play Frimpong over Forrest. Christie’s decision making has been questionable, but again, two assists can’t be ignored.

Brown’s overall contribution from midfield isn’t enough, for me. Keep hoping he’ll prove us all wrong yet again but every game is more of the same. For everyone’s sake I hope this is his last season. There’s no shame in it because age happens to everyone, but he’s clearly declined as a player. Has quite a few bookings already this season and better teams will bypass him now. I’d like to see Ntcham and McGregor play as the double pivot in our midfield. Hopefully Soro will be trusted to feature too.

I’d like to see Rogic feature in games too but not sure if he’s in the manager’s plans, but even if he isn’t then at least we have Turnbull to challenge Christie.

Klimala was an empty jersey last night. If we get around 10 goals from him this season I’ll consider it a success, but he’s nothing more than a squad player.

Taylor puts in some good deliveries but it’s clear that he’s not consistent enough with them, nor can he be viewed as a creative outlet. Another squad player and we need a left back in as a priority.

For the sake of balance, while there are some issues there are also some positives. Duffy has made an immediate impact. Two starts, two goals, two wins and one clean sheet. As close to a risk free signing as we can get.

Turnbull is only just settling in but given what we’ve seen of him previously, he looks promising.

Ajeti is a good player and a goalscorer. Can’t wait to see more of him and Edouard up front.

Elyounoussi is a quality player who will make a big difference over the course of the season too, so I’m really glad we brought him back.

Barkas has had a promising start and will likely improve.

Exiting the CL qualifiers and the importance of this league season will magnify any negative tenfold and I’m sure there’s a lot of drama to come, but we’re favourites for the league and I do have faith in the manager and the squad to bring it home. Everyone within the clubs knows we’re not in top form and will be doing everything they can to sort that out.

DragQueenHoops, kramer1 and Keano88 like this.
  3. Paul McAuley

Agree with the first two posters completely. Guess we all see what’s wrong with the side so why can’t Lenny? The leftback situation tho? Why the * was that not sorted over the international break. Even if we get one in how long before he’s up to speed etc. The Brown thing will destroy both his and the managers legacy if it continues. It really will.

DragQueenHoops and Dan Breen like this.
  4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    With left backs is rather we got one in on deadline day than rush into another squad player. This season we have taken our time with signings but no panic buys and I'm pretty sure every one of them will add to our starting xi.

5. Onefootwonder

I'm a bit concerned. We aren't looking good at all this season. Players look lethargic and disinterested too often.

Lennon sounds like a man under pressure. He attacked the players after the Ferencvaros game, but it's not exactly stirred a response. We are still off the pace.

We didn't play well on Lennon's return. We did come into good form last season and finally pulled away from Rangers after the wake up defeat. We can't afford to go through the motions again this season and play when we are forced. We need to be on the front foot and getting ahead now. This season could easily be influenced by Covid again and we can't afford not to be ahead.

6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's quite simple really, Lennon should've started with the same team that finished the game on Saturday.

Frimpong must play. Ntcham should start ahead of brown - especially against any bottom 6 side. Taylor shouldn't play. Ajeti should've started.

The fact he brought these guys on hopefully means he does see it and was just rotating to keep it fresh, but his starting lineups have been questionable this season so far.

It's going to be a tough season and the Griffiths/Boli situations can't have helped the squad morale, let alone the CL exit and Lennon's post match comments then. He needs to sort that out asap and start picking players on form, not reputation...

Gyp Rosetti, Dan Breen and Gioventu like this.
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. Gioventu UTLR Gold Member

6 games in and both the manager and players are deserving of flak from the fans. The feelings of the fans is an indicator of the state of the team and performances.

Lennons comments re being delighted with the squad only serves to irritate fans even more when we’re crying out for a left back. Lennon saying on Saturday he wants a settled squad after winning 5-0 then going onto change formation and numerous personnel will also only serve to irritate fans and stir up unrest.

No panic stations yet but after 6 games there are warning signs that need to be addressed.

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. TheHappyLoss

It’s in the bag

StPauli1916 likes this.
  10. James Gold Member Gold Member

*said from behind a keyboard*

Anyone thinks everything is rosy is burying their head in the sand we have regressed massively

11. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure I'm comfortable just yet say the criticism being levelled is deserved.
    I've faith in the 352. We've had a 6, two 5's and a 3 in winning games.
    8 home goals and 9 away compared to 12 and 3 for them, they are unbeaten and conceded zero but only 3 away goals. I find that a very interesting stat. We win our game in hand even 1-0 we go top.

Theres so much ball to be played, we've to fit in last season's cup aswell. This is going to be a long nervy slog. We all better get used to it.

The main points people seem hung up on -
    I'm happy with Barkas, I think hes a good keeper. Taylor, while nowhere near as bad as made out, I would accept an upgrade on. Paddy a work in progress who I believe will come good. The 352 is a must. Brown needs to sit out more, perhaps bench for home games v the bottom 6 as a start but hes still an important figure for us.

I think we're going in the right direction. Brace yourselves guys, this one is coming down to the Glasgow derby games, think that's becoming self evident as the season progresses.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aw come on man everything is fine in the paradise garden.

:84::56:

13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Most objective fans don't expect us to be battering teams 5-0 every week but given the relatively fortuitous run of fixtures we were given to start this season, I would've expected our performance levels to be much better.

The positives are:
    • Other than Kilmarnock we've got the job done, we can still go top of the league with a win on Saturday
    • Our new signings have all started with promise (2 goals from Duffy, 3 goals in his first 3 games for Ajeti, Barkas was great at the weekend)

The negatives:
    • Dumped out of the Champions League by a distinctly average team (that's probably being generous)
    • We still don't look like we know our best formation and starting XI which means we can't build any continuity
    • Broony continues to be started in every game despite games passing him by
    • We still don't have a LWB
    • The squad doesn't look hungry, unified and desperate to storm our way to the 10. Lennon has said people want out, then said he's happy to play these people in interim, as we get closer to the end of the window if a big bid comes in for the likes of Édouard, I have no faith in our ability to sign a replacement quickly

14. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Do think we need a settled team before we start going mental. Will Lennon be able to make his mind up on his best formation/starting eleven? * knows, but I suppose each opponent is different so having a squad that can be versatile enough to switch formations can only be good. We do need another LB and a RW as a matter of priority for me. If Jamesie get's injured we're *. Same with Taylor, as much as I don't rate him, he is our only LB.

15. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Fair points raised

I'll wait until the "11 league games in" thread and we have played everyone though.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The first couple of games were poor (The Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd basicallly) but the last 4 games we could easily have scored 20 goals, so its not like we are playing terrible and are struggling.

Ferencvaros the actual performance we dominated the game and it looked quite easy and as if we were going to score at any point then they cleared a ball over our defence scored and we were in the *.

Motherwell, Ross County and St Mirren we dominated and won all those games easily, the worst was probably Motherwell. Ross County we should have added a 6th or 7th late on and last night even though on paper we won 2-1, St Mirren never really had a chance after scoring and we should have scored more goals, 2nd half was probably the easiest half of the season but we just never got the goals in it.

We aren't on top form or we would have got more goals against Ferencvaros, Ross County and St Mirren but we aren't playing poor and being lucky either, if anything we've been unlucky.

MyNameIsMartin likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It is exactly that 6 games in, I’m happy with the quality we’ve signed and they will need time to bed in..

The experience of playing for Celtic is severely diminished without our fans, I think this is a factor too.

Lennys stubbornness is a slight concern though, as it’s clear to everyone what’s required.

LWB maybe 2 and the window closing with the quality we have in place and we’re good to go.

StPauli1916 and Xatraps like this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What do you make of the squad rotation?

19. JamesM09

I think Brown is a big problem. He was a bit better at times last night but he’s offering the defence very little cover.

It’s not that he’s being beat, or struggling to cover. It’s that he’s being beat by everyone in the league and is embarrassingly far behind the play at times.

It could be that the last big contribution of his Celtic career, is to drop out of the team and influence them from the dressing room and the sidelines.

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I think when you’re trying to bed in a new defence, GK included you don’t change it, unless you have to.

Edouard and Ajeti too, to form a partnership they need to play more, it’s obvious they will be the pairing just play them together at this stage of the season. Although Klimala maybe deserved his start.

The rotation should be seen in the midfield where it’s clear Broonie is done and we have the likes of Ntcham, Turnbull, Soro, Rogic and Elyonoussi. Even McGregor should be rested now and then.. rotating the midfield shouldn’t weaken it..